Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

First trip to kentucky lake

Hey guys need a little help. Taking my first trip to kentucky lake end of may for a few days. Driving a long way and would like to catch fish since Iam driving so far. Any suggestions on the bass and how to fish in the warmer months? Not asking for secret spots just someone toss a bone. About where to go would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Late May? Kentucky Lake? Largemouth bass? Find a creek arm, hit the primary and secondary lake points on one side, work your way around the embayment staying just beyond the first ring of ledges (don't skip the brush piles and steak beds you will find everywhere) casting the banks (cranks, jigs, soft plastics of kinds, with the right timing top water) and any other structure you can find. Nothing I love more than throwing a worm into a downed tree in late May, or rippin' a streamer past a ledge. If that isn't working Geofisher and several others who post regularly on this forum offer exceptional guide service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Late May is the beginning of ledge fishing season on the lake. Not the easiest technique, but fun and a good way to catch some hogs.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about current

If they are pulling water, it's much easier to catch on KY lake. It can be like dinner bell. There are SO many good places to find fish it really is heaven. If it looks like a good place to fish...it usually is.

I personally, just started fishing the ledges after using a guide. It's always been hard to just sit in what seems like the middle of no mans land with the shoreline way off in the distance and fish.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelmeyer View Post
    Late May? Kentucky Lake? Largemouth bass? Find a creek arm, hit the primary and secondary lake points on one side, work your way around the embayment staying just beyond the first ring of ledges (don't skip the brush piles and steak beds you will find everywhere) casting the banks (cranks, jigs, soft plastics of kinds, with the right timing top water) and any other structure you can find. Nothing I love more than throwing a worm into a downed tree in late May, or rippin' a streamer past a ledge. If that isn't working Geofisher and several others who post regularly on this forum offer exceptional guide service.
    Just to clarify....I'm not a guide.

Dave Stewart is and he's pretty much the BEST down there. If you're looking for a guide, I'd definitely recommend him.....GREAT GUY.

Fishing in May, and late May should be awesome. You should be able to catch plenty up shallow that time. spinnerbaits, soft plastics, and topwater REALLY EARLY and LATE.

I have a trip mid may, and can probably give you some info then if you remind me

The biggest thing to understand about KY and Barkely is the wind will KILL you if you are not careful. South winds at 20 generally means don't venture out, especially if you're new. Find a long east west bay and use a RAMP in that bay. Lots of bays on the LBL side......Pisqua, Smith, Sugar, Ginger, Redd, and some others have ramps. On the Western KY side, there are also a lot of ramps.........

Be careful, and HAVE FUN.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, I figured as much but wanted to make sure. Every lake has there little tricks to catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    What Geo said, first and foremost be careful....Stay between the marker buoys and be very careful getting into some of the bays....If the wind gets up, trailer and put in somewhere to fish, that lake can be brutal and very dangerous

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnfltn View Post
    Hey guys need a little help. Taking my first trip to kentucky lake end of may for a few days. Driving a long way and would like to catch fish since Iam driving so far. Any suggestions on the bass and how to fish in the warmer months? Not asking for secret spots just someone toss a bone. About where to go would be great. Thanks
    You can expect to find the best fishing on the ledges at the end of May. Depending on the timing of the spawns this year, there will be some early morning and late evening top water also back shallow and on secondary points just off the spawning areas but, the primary pattern will be ledges. If you are not familiar with ledge fishing, I do have a couple of days still available for guide trips but only a couple and I do not expect them to be available much longer. Check out my weekly fishing report here on this site on the Kentucky Lake Fishing Reports page just before you come here and you will have a good starting point for your trip.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Just to clarify....I'm not a guide.

Dave Stewart is and he's pretty much the BEST down there. If you're looking for a guide, I'd definitely recommend him.....GREAT GUY.

Fishing in May, and late May should be awesome. You should be able to catch plenty up shallow that time. spinnerbaits, soft plastics, and topwater REALLY EARLY and LATE.

I have a trip mid may, and can probably give you some info then if you remind me

The biggest thing to understand about KY and Barkely is the wind will KILL you if you are not careful. South winds at 20 generally means don't venture out, especially if you're new. Find a long east west bay and use a RAMP in that bay. Lots of bays on the LBL side......Pisqua, Smith, Sugar, Ginger, Redd, and some others have ramps. On the Western KY side, there are also a lot of ramps.........

Be careful, and HAVE FUN.

Later,

Geo
    My apologies Sir.

Thanks for adding that bit about the wind. Very important indeed. Oh, in case anyone is interested I have no idea how fast they intend to let the water out but it was still creeping up yesterday morning. Did appear to be slowing though. None of our local friends had any intel as to the intentions of the Corp. Crappie where scattered about Sunday morning. We caught a few on stake beds in 8-12 feet of water but, we did eventually get into a group on a stump row over gravel. I will add that that stump row sits just so that it is protected from all but the strongest gusts. A few decent bass prowling around in said location as well.