Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Garage size for boat

Need a bit of help guys. Buying our 1st home (currently rent duplex) and I cant fina a garage large enough for my 19 foot bass boat. Most newer homes have a 19 by 20 foot garage and boat and trailer is much longer than 20 feet. We have found several homes we like but you cant have any boats outside parked in the driveway. Where do you guys store your boats? Can I get my trailer modified to fold in and save me a few feet and push it in angled? Didnt know where to stick this thread so if it needs moved to another board feel free and thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep you can get your trailer modified. At least I have seen many done that way after they were purchased but not sure if it there are limits based on the design.
    Side note....be aware of those HOA hoods. They can be a royal pain in the rear!!! Many older hoods don't have those and have bigger garages or positioned so you could bust the back out of the garage and build a room.....just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Garage is 28 foot deep and I have about a foot in front and back with the trailer at full length. I have a 19 foot stratos

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a two car garage that my boat fits in if I angle it. I never though it would fit but I tilt the big motor all the way down and have to angle it "just right", but it fits. Of course I have to scrape snow and ice off of my wifes car during the winter, and warm it up well before she's ready to leave in the morning, and hear her complain about my boat getting better treatment than her, but hey, you gotta prioritize Jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our boat is in the basement. There's wing walls on the end of the house with a 9 foot wide GD and a second driveway leading to it. There's a double wide garage door on the other end of the house for cars. The basement is unfinished and we can get our 18.5 foot Skeeter with a non folding trailer and our Silverado crew cab truck in the basement hooked together and ready to go. That sure makes boat maintenance and fishing preparation easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Side note....be aware of those HOA hoods. They can be a royal pain in the rear!!! Many older hoods don't have those and have bigger garages or positioned so you could bust the back out of the garage and build a room.....just a thought.
    But if you happen to be in the commie wealth of Fayette County do be aware that parking your boat off a paved part of your drive can result in code enforcement telling you to move it. This usually only happens if someone complains but can happen at any time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
    But if you happen to be in the commie wealth of Fayette County do be aware that parking your boat off a paved part of your drive can result in code enforcement telling you to move it. This usually only happens if someone complains but can happen at any time.
    Hahaha commie wealth!!

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    Need a bit of help guys. Buying our 1st home (currently rent duplex) and I cant fina a garage large enough for my 19 foot bass boat. Most newer homes have a 19 by 20 foot garage and boat and trailer is much longer than 20 feet. We have found several homes we like but you cant have any boats outside parked in the driveway. Where do you guys store your boats? Can I get my trailer modified to fold in and save me a few feet and push it in angled? Didnt know where to stick this thread so if it needs moved to another board feel free and thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Shawn
    Shawn,

Here's the part:
    Trailer Couplers - Fulton Performance

You take it to a shop to cut the tongue, then have this mounted, unless you're a metal working kinda guy and got the tools to cut thru a steel trailer tongue :-). Comes in bolt on or weld on, and sized to match the box section of the tongue. If you have surge/hydraulic brakes, you will need to determine the length of the coupler that will be in front of the fold away to select the appropriate length of flexible hydraulic brake line to allow the foldaway to fold without damaging the brake line.

More info and see the reviews and faqs: Fulton Fold-Away Coupler Hinge Kit for 3" x 3" Tongue - Bolt On - Up to 5,000 lbs Fulton Trailer Coupler FHDPB330301

Prices dependent on size and type run about $80-120.

Another option. Does the rear wall of your intended homes garage back up to the house, or does it face open yard? Is there the possibility of bumping out the garage just an additional 6-8 feet? You might even be able to bump out just one of the 2 bays of the 2 car garage. See pic. Just a thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20070901_Garage_Bump_img019-img2.jpg 
Views:	2555 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	5132  

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Shawn,

Here's the part:
    Trailer Couplers - Fulton Performance

You take it to a shop to cut the tongue, then have this mounted, unless you're a metal working kinda guy and got the tools to cut thru a steel trailer tongue :-). Comes in bolt on or weld on, and sized to match the box section of the tongue. If you have surge/hydraulic brakes, you will need to determine the length of the coupler that will be in front of the fold away to select the appropriate length of flexible hydraulic brake line to allow the foldaway to fold without damaging the brake line.

More info and see the reviews and faqs: Fulton Fold-Away Coupler Hinge Kit for 3" x 3" Tongue - Bolt On - Up to 5,000 lbs Fulton Trailer Coupler FHDPB330301

Prices dependent on size and type run about $80-120.

Another option. Does the rear wall of your intended homes garage back up to the house, or does it face open yard? Is there the possibility of bumping out the garage just an additional 6-8 feet? You might even be able to bump out just one of the 2 bays of the 2 car garage. See pic. Just a thought.
    BTW, depending on where your trailer wheels would sit, you may not have to put a concrete slab under this. The bump out could be a post and beam method, with a suspended wood floor, reducing cost, and getting the room you want. Do be sure to check you HOA or residential subdivision restrictions. In most cases you have to make the bump out look as much like the rest of the house as possible. And the bump out, if done well, will add value to the home as additional square footage of garage storage area. (next guy might make it a mancave)

Post Thanks / Like
    When it came to my wife adn I buying a house I measured the boat its a 19ft ranger with a swing away tounge so its about 26 or so feet. I told the realtor first and foremost if the garage isnt atleast 28 feet deep I dont care about the rest of the house. of course i cleared this with the wife first. And now that the realtor adn us were on the same page. I would walk in a house pull out the tape measure in the garage and it was yea or ney on lookign at the rest of the house.. Sure some of the houses had nicer options but we found a house with a 30 ft deep 2 car garage with a one acre lot and good neighbors so we bought it. But I just told the realtor if the boat wouldnt fit we wasnt buying the house cause i aint keeping my boat outside all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    just curious, if you buy a house and someone else can tell you where to park your boat, can they tell you who to fish with and what days of the week you can fish. just a little humor thrown in here. myself I would NEVER buy a home or anything else that I didn't have control over. but I know what this HOA hood thing is about. I have a Daughter that bought a house in Crestwood, when she was single, and I would go visit her and could park my boat in the driveway if I wanted, and no problem. now she got married and sold her house and bought another with her husband in Louisville. and the HOOD won't let a boat be parked outside the garage. she has to give me her side of the garage for my boat when I visit her. same thing I asked her, why would you buy a place that you don't have control over. and her answer was, it's a great neighborhood Dad. in my mind, agreat neighborhood is where ever neighbor controls their place and you control yours.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    just curious, if you buy a house and someone else can tell you where to park your boat, can they tell you who to fish with and what days of the week you can fish. just a little humor thrown in here. myself I would NEVER buy a home or anything else that I didn't have control over. but I know what this HOA hood thing is about. I have a Daughter that bought a house in Crestwood, when she was single, and I would go visit her and could park my boat in the driveway if I wanted, and no problem. now she got married and sold her house and bought another with her husband in Louisville. and the HOOD won't let a boat be parked outside the garage. she has to give me her side of the garage for my boat when I visit her. same thing I asked her, why would you buy a place that you don't have control over. and her answer was, it's a great neighborhood Dad. in my mind, agreat neighborhood is where ever neighbor controls their place and you control yours.
    I hear ya and have lived in both situations. One place in Texas we lived had no residential restrictions. Things were great at first until the neighbor start collecting cars to overhaul and his yard became a 12 car junk yard, as it appeared from the street. To say the least, when we went to sell our home, we took a beating on our home value because of what the neighbor did with his property. That's what HOA's do, they bascially protect property owners and home values by trying to set standards and enforce curb appeal. They also set guidelines for what is a nusance, or disturbing the peace, which can help all neighbors enjoy their property more because the guidelines give a homeowner a basis to seek legal action to stop folks that are breaking the rules.

Yes sir I do agree, it makes it tough on those of us that follow the rules, lookout for our neighbors and neighborhoods and have boats or RV's. The only good news is that when ya buy into a neighborhood with an HOA or strict residential restrictions, you do have the peace of mind of knowing you're not likely to take a bath when you go to sell your home someday.