Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Flats Boat

We just finished our first prototype Flats/Fly Fishing boat. As a life long fly fisherman, I wanted to design a boat that was durable, but had shallow water capabilities. I designed this boat with Xpress, and this boat is being considered for production. What I need now, is opinions and suggestions from you. This boat should be perfect for the Cumberland River and even shallow creek applications. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ng_800.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	5197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hw_800.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	5198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gg_800.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	5199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw_800.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	5200

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that thing has Cumberland River written all over it. Should work in some of the Tennessee tailwater trout rivers as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice. Will there be a pole platform in the back??

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working with a fabricator in Florida right now. Flats boats are usually wider, and we are working with a 78 inch beam on this boat. I want to make sure this boat is stable when poling 3 ft above the deck. it still a work in progress, but we are extremely pleased with the boat to this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressky View Post
    I'm working with a fabricator in Florida right now. Flats boats are usually wider, and we are working with a 78 inch beam on this boat. I want to make sure this boat is stable when poling 3 ft above the deck. it still a work in progress, but we are extremely pleased with the boat to this point.
    I have wanted a flats boat for years so I could use it here and tow it with me to Florida to fish the backwaters. I look when I'm down there but I can never find the right combo of size and cost. I considered using my tracker grizzly but there are to many issues with aluminum and salt water plus all I have is a painted trailer.
    i grew up fishing the Indian River area out of an open fisherman which was high and cumbersome with the center console but it worked. Getting low and obstruction free like this concept is the ticket. I have looked at Actioncraft, Maverick and Hewes but man I cannot afford those. My boat would be 17ft(minimum) lightweight (wide)and take a 4stoke motor (90-130hp) something like that but not a 6 cylinder. I want lightweight for towing and enough storage area for the required essentials of being on the water. There has to be some way of ensuring comfort while driving...be it a removable cushion or bass pole seat? I have looked at off brand stuff down there as well. Many choices just waiting to get that wow factor from a boat!! Good luck with this!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks a great boat project!