Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Northern end of Barkley for shellcracker

Hey guys, we're heading to Poplar Creek/Buzzard Rock Marina on the Northern end of Barkley in two weeks and staying for about 6 days. I've never been there but did go out and purchase a map from Bass Pro Shops. We're really excited and looking forward to catching some shellcracker/bluegill and whatever else bites.

My question is can I catch quality size crackers in the Buzzard Rock Marina or do I need to leave the bay and go fish in the various bays that are nearby? I figure the fish will certainly be nesting in two weeks and the fishing should be pretty darn good. I've read finding mustard grass is key and finding gravel bars is another key to success. Not looking for anyone's honey holes at all, but would like to hear some general ideas of where I should be fishing for these crackers and big bluegills because it's a long drive from here and would like to make sure my four year old son catches some nice fish. Thanks, Troy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent fished for redear in there but used to crappie fish in there several years ago. Should be good in there quite a bit of gravel in there. I taking my little girl down there to do the same thing a week or so later than you. Eddy creek should be good also. Hope somebody with a little more info can help out here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Hey guys, we're heading to Poplar Creek/Buzzard Rock Marina on the Northern end of Barkley in two weeks and staying for about 6 days. I've never been there but did go out and purchase a map from Bass Pro Shops. We're really excited and looking forward to catching some shellcracker/bluegill and whatever else bites.

My question is can I catch quality size crackers in the Buzzard Rock Marina or do I need to leave the bay and go fish in the various bays that are nearby? I figure the fish will certainly be nesting in two weeks and the fishing should be pretty darn good. I've read finding mustard grass is key and finding gravel bars is another key to success. Not looking for anyone's honey holes at all, but would like to hear some general ideas of where I should be fishing for these crackers and big bluegills because it's a long drive from here and would like to make sure my four year old son catches some nice fish. Thanks, Troy.
    I've never fished for them, but I suspect Demumbers Bay, and Carmack are pretty good hotbeds for gills and redear.

I'd also think Maybe Willow, and maybe the flat over north of champions springs, just off the main riverchannel.

Lots, and LOTS of spots in Demumbers that look like gills would spawn in there.