Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dead Carp in North Barkley

Was there this past weekend and noticed dead carp floating EVERYWHERE. Not that it's a bad thing, but what do you all think is causing this? Anyone else notice them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    Was there this past weekend and noticed dead carp floating EVERYWHERE. Not that it's a bad thing, but what do you all think is causing this? Anyone else notice them?
    I WENT on a carp killing spree last week..........Killed EVERY **** one of them

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully it was the Asian carp!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the same thing this weekend at Taylorsville Lake. They were all small carps no big boys. I was thinking that maybe the sudden high rise of the water killed the carp? The water must of come up about five foot overnight when we got that mini monsoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Carp kill

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish Bob View Post
    I saw the same thing this weekend at Taylorsville Lake. They were all small carps no big boys. I was thinking that maybe the sudden high rise of the water killed the carp? The water must of come up about five foot overnight when we got that mini monsoon.
    I'm not sure but maybe there is something in all the rain water that's flowing into the lake. Surface run off may be contaminated with something or maybe something else was dumped into a upstream creek running into the lake.

I'm not sure what would kill those carp. What kind of carp are they? They are all exotic. Some have been in the US longer but they all originated in China. At least that's where I thought they all came from.

Perhaps I should invest in "dough Balls" and buy a factory that makes those things. I fear that these carp are here for good. I see no way to get rid of them other than inventing something like a virus that specific to the carp and kills them and nothing else. The Government Fish Scientists are probably at Ft Detrick already working one that.

BTW: dough balls is what they use to fish and catch carp in the old days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'm not sure but maybe there is something in all the rain water that's flowing into the lake. Surface run off may be contaminated with something or maybe something else was dumped into a upstream creek running into the lake.

I'm not sure what would kill those carp. What kind of carp are they? They are all exotic. Some have been in the US longer but they all originated in China. At least that's where I thought they all came from.

Perhaps I should invest in "dough Balls" and buy a factory that makes those things. I fear that these carp are here for good. I see no way to get rid of them other than inventing something like a virus that specific to the carp and kills them and nothing else. The Government Fish Scientists are probably at Ft Detrick already working one that.

BTW: dough balls is what they use to fish and catch carp in the old days.
    One time when I ran out of worms I put a tiny piece of chicken liver on a small 1/8oz lead head with a curly tail grub. Just screwing around I put a bobber on it and set it maybe two foot deep, cast way out into the channel from the bank and discovered that carp and hybrid bass will really get after that chicken liver. I know carp only eat plant food but for some reason that day the chicken liver was deadly at catching some monster carp at Van Buren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish Bob View Post
    One time when I ran out of worms I put a tiny piece of chicken liver on a small 1/8oz lead head with a curly tail grub. Just screwing around I put a bobber on it and set it maybe two foot deep, cast way out into the channel from the bank and discovered that carp and hybrid bass will really get after that chicken liver. I know carp only eat plant food but for some reason that day the chicken liver was deadly at catching some monster carp at Van Buren.
    Years ago I read how to make "Dough Ball" to catch carp with. I made some and fished in a small lake. But never got a bit. Probably because the lake didn't have an fish in it. LOL. It was not connected to any other stream or river and basically was just a depression area that filled up with rain water. The county took dirt of of this area to build a highway years ago. I guess you could call it a Barrow Pit. I don't think it was that deep either. It's no longer there. I guess the filled it back in with dirt.

Perhaps I should get some chicken livers and head down to the River to fish. If the carp don't bite I can an least catch some catfish. I know that they like Chicken Liver.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the last few years there has been a virus going around that only affects carp. it attacks their gills and they essentially suffocate. Several of the lakes in this area had a carp die off last year. Which in turn enabled the grass to come back.