Search Fishin.com

Thread: Buying American

Post Thanks / Like

Buying American

I know this has been a topic before and I am one that buys certain things (regardless of where it's made) that I feel is the best for me. Anyway, I was shopping for another pocket knife (the one I have now...made in China) and thought I like some of the Gerber knives so I went to check them out. I found the one I wanted and compared it to the Buck knife that was similar and the deciding factor was that between these two comparable knives the Gerber model was made in China and the Buck model was made in the USA. So I purchased the Buck model! Still gotta be careful because some of theirs is imported as well.
    Same with Guns....if I can I get one from Ruger, Colt, Kimber, Remington, Mossberg or S&W I will, before buying others. There are more but that's the ones I remember off hand.
    Same with gun safes...shopping for those I chose to shop an american made brand over the Chinese ones. You would be amazed at who has their safes made in China. American safes use better steel and better craftsmanship on the interior. The guys selling them don't even know!
    BTW...Liberty and Fort Knox safes are made in the USA. So like I said certain things I buy are based on whats best for me (vehicles) with that being said I still have a Chevy (assembled in Canada), Motorcycle (made in Wisconsin) and a Honda ATV which I believe is assembled in South Carolina.
    Fishing tackle....no consideration at all. I buy alot of local/USA made plastics and the rest I get what I like. Buying American is a tough task anymore and I'm not sold on buying everything American but still try and do my part.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel pretty much the same way....I do what I can, but I'm not going to attempt to buy everything American-made just because it's American made, because I'm just not sure it's possible anymore. Even "foreign" companies employ American workers in their factories that may be here in the states, or on their sales forces, at their wholesale distributors along the supply chain, etc.

I'm a huge Shimano fan for reels...every time I deviate from Shimano, I end up coming back to them, so I don't even look at other reel brands anymore. Chronarch, Curado, even some of the Citicas for lower end...also love their spinning reels. For quality and longevity, I just haven't found anything I like better. I've got spinning reels that are 15 years old that still feel great. They're assembled in China or Malaysia, I believe...Japanese Company...but Americans still benefit from selling the products down the line. Their American distribution arm employs Americans, that sell to warehouse-distributors that employ Americans, that sell to the local tackle shop where I buy them...who employs local folks and make profit dollars on selling them. I'm OK with that.

I put food on my family's table and put money into the pockets of local businesses that I frequent by selling tires that are made all over the world....some American made by American companies, some American made by foreign companies, some foreign made by foreign companies....but my American company makes American profit dollars and employs Americans by selling them all.

The whole "Global Economy" thing isn't just a catch-phrase. It's real.

I'm glad when American-made products from American-owned companies end up fitting the bill for best quality or best value...and fortunately there are still some. I will wave those flags all day long and buy from those companies. I wish there were more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSplitshot View Post
    I feel pretty much the same way....I do what I can, but I'm not going to attempt to buy everything American-made just because it's American made, because I'm just not sure it's possible anymore. Even "foreign" companies employ American workers in their factories that may be here in the states, or on their sales forces, at their wholesale distributors along the supply chain, etc.

I'm a huge Shimano fan for reels...every time I deviate from Shimano, I end up coming back to them, so I don't even look at other reel brands anymore. Chronarch, Curado, even some of the Citicas for lower end...also love their spinning reels. For quality and longevity, I just haven't found anything I like better. I've got spinning reels that are 15 years old that still feel great. They're assembled in China or Malaysia, I believe...Japanese Company...but Americans still benefit from selling the products down the line. Their American distribution arm employs Americans, that sell to warehouse-distributors that employ Americans, that sell to the local tackle shop where I buy them...who employs local folks and make profit dollars on selling them. I'm OK with that.

I put food on my family's table and put money into the pockets of local businesses that I frequent by selling tires that are made all over the world....some American made by American companies, some American made by foreign companies, some foreign made by foreign companies....but my American company makes American profit dollars and employs Americans by selling them all.

The whole "Global Economy" thing isn't just a catch-phrase. It's real.

I'm glad when American-made products from American-owned companies end up fitting the bill for best quality or best value...and fortunately there are still some. I will wave those flags all day long and buy from those companies. I wish there were more!
    Ed-Zachary!

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading somewhere that even if you "buy American", the typical vehicle usually is composed of at least 25% foreign-made parts? Anyone know this for sure?

Post Thanks / Like

its hard to buy american

All we make is hamburgers! My autos and trucks have all been domestic,not much left. What I wont buy is american brands made or assembled in mexico. Found out the hard way, bought three troy built weed eaters in 2 days. Took all of them back and got a husqvarna.Mercury motors, they were all junk,switched to honda and yammaha. But the last motor i had was a merc 4 stroke made in china,and it was as good as the honda,lot cheaper too.Fishing tackle, when I started fishing there were no imports.I found a japanese spinning reel on clearance at a sporting goods store, that reel lasted 30+ years,and was still as good as new.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you find something made in the USA, hold on to it. very soon it will be a collectors idem. it feels good every once in a while to see a made in USA sticker on something. I do like buying made in USA, but it's hard to find any more. I needed some new shocks for the last GMC truck I had, and I Googled what shocks were made in the USA, and Monroe was supposed to be made in USA, I ordered a set off the internet and when they came 2 had stickers made in Mexico and 2 had stickers made in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Texas Jeans, Diamond Gusset Jeans, Thorogood work boots just to name a few I know off the top of my head, all made right here. There are a few different websites dedicated to buying American goods. Just do a google search for American made or something similar and you will likely be surprised by how many things you can still buy here. Just a heads up for all you folks that wish to support buying American.