Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance vs. Humminbird

I just don't know which way to go. Looking at the HDS8 Gen2 with structure scan or the Humminbird 998. Any opinions on the units. They both look like good units. I'm kind of leaning toward the Lowrance but wanted to get some more opinions. I'm sure this has already been discussed here before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a search in the search box at the top middle of the page. There should be a lot of information that will come up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used Humminbird and have had no problems. I looked at a Lowrance unit at bass pro and the staff there told me off the record that they have far less return of Humminbird than Lowrance. He also told me that the customer service at Humminbird was way better than Lowrance. I have a friend that uses Lowrance and seems to like them. I think it is all what you like. I will say that I have a Hbird 597 hd down imaging unit and love it. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyriverblues View Post
    I have always used Humminbird and have had no problems. I looked at a Lowrance unit at bass pro and the staff there told me off the record that they have far less return of Humminbird than Lowrance. He also told me that the customer service at Humminbird was way better than Lowrance. I have a friend that uses Lowrance and seems to like them. I think it is all what you like. I will say that I have a Hbird 597 hd down imaging unit and love it. Good luck.
    That's what they told me at BPS when I was looking. I have had better luck with Humminbird over the years also so I just bought another Humminbird to replace a Lowrance that went out a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two HDS-7 with structure scan and I'm well pleased with them. bought the first one for Christmas of 09 and when the 4.0 update came out, I downloaded the 4.0 update and mine froze up. I called lowrance and they said send it to them, I did and I kept the face plate home. just wrapped it in a soft cloth and when I got it back, it had a new face plate " protective cover " with it. I haven't had any more trouble with either unit. and when I wash my boat the two units get the wash job as well. I have used HB units in the past and liked them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kyriverblues View Post
    I purchased the new 598 CI SI HD unit and love it. Purchased on e-bay 699.00, got a rebate from Humminbird for 100.00, this was a great price. Checked out Lowrance and Humminbird , HB looked a little more user friendly to me. Also customer service at Ft Meyers Bass Pro said that Lowrance was improving their customer service. Not a bit sorry for going with the Humminbird. Have another HB unit that had to send back to factory, customer service was super. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I got a Humminbird 998C SI Combo and I can say it is wasted money for my part. Not because it does not work well it is because I just don`t really know how to use the think to its full capacity. Mostly use it for the GPS and depth finder. I usually just fish main lake and secondary points for SM fish and I just don`t see where it comes into play for that kind of fishing. I am planning on keeping it though because the wife got it for a Christmas present for me a few years back and besides it looks pretty good on the boat also.