Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we are screwed now! Great Lakes !

The great lakes have the Asian Carp in them now. This is not good news.

Well, Great Lakes, It Was Nice Knowing You. Asian Carp Have Arrived.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great job by our respective state leaders?

YES, GREAT JOB BY LOCAL, STATE AND NATIONAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED, BUT FOR THE INTERVENTION OF POLITICS. WHAT A F... MAS. HOPE THEY ALL ENJOY THE CARP (CRAP) THEIR INACTION HAS CREATED!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job by our respective state leaders?

SEE BELOW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    YES, GREAT JOB BY LOCAL, STATE AND NATIONAL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED, BUT FOR THE INTERVENTION OF POLITICS. WHAT A F... MAS. HOPE THEY ALL ENJOY THE CARP (CRAP) THEIR INACTION HAS CREATED!!
    How could it have been prevented?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, but Sad story. Carp (Crap) had been moving up the MS toward Chicago for several years, alerts were send out and locals campaigned for closing the navigation water between the lakes and lower rivers, i.e, the MS. But in the end, Political and Industrial/Business interest prevailed. Seems blocking Crap would have redistricted commercial barge traffic between the MS and the Lakes. So, now we/they live with it....

Post Thanks / Like

The barge shipping industry kept it open

You are right about the canal being the way these Asian carp entered the Great Lakes around the Chicago Area. It was proposed to be shut down but some business interests prevailed.

But those carp should never have been allowed to enter this country in the first place. US Fish and Wildlife should never have allowed them to be farmed in this country. Once they got out of their farm pens it was inevitable that they would take over the waters of the Midwest.

On the bright side they make great targets for bow fishermen, archers and shot gunners. These things get pretty big. Some are about 4 ft long.

They are in Kentucky Lake now and have taken over Hovey Lake in Southern IN which is right next the the Ohio River. Up by Cannelton IN they have taken over the creeks that run out of Perry County into the Ohio River. Well maybe not taken them over but they are there in those creek and in the Ohio River.

I guess we will have to learn to live with them unless some scientist comes up with a way to kill them. Perhaps a virus that's specific to killing the Silver and Big Head Asian Carp only. They would then become turtle food I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Interesting, but Sad story. Carp (Crap) had been moving up the MS toward Chicago for several years, alerts were send out and locals campaigned for closing the navigation water between the lakes and lower rivers, i.e, the MS. But in the end, Political and Industrial/Business interest prevailed. Seems blocking Crap would have redistricted commercial barge traffic between the MS and the Lakes. So, now we/they live with it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    You are right about the canal being the way these Asian carp entered the Great Lakes around the Chicago Area. It was proposed to be shut down but some business interests prevailed.

But those carp should never have been allowed to enter this country in the first place. US Fish and Wildlife should never have allowed them to be farmed in this country. Once they got out of their farm pens it was inevitable that they would take over the waters of the Midwest.

On the bright side they make great targets for bow fishermen, archers and shot gunners. These things get pretty big. Some are about 4 ft long.

They are in Kentucky Lake now and have taken over Hovey Lake in Southern IN which is right next the the Ohio River. Up by Cannelton IN they have taken over the creeks that run out of Perry County into the Ohio River. Well maybe not taken them over but they are there in those creek and in the Ohio River.

I guess we will have to learn to live with them unless some scientist comes up with a way to kill them. Perhaps a virus that's specific to killing the Silver and Big Head Asian Carp only. They would then become turtle food I guess.
    I dont think you can shoot them with a gun, since it is illegal to fire over water or from a motored mode of transportation. BUT that would be way cool

Post Thanks / Like
    haha they are fun to shoot. give it a try sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Don't shoot over the water unless

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    I dont think you can shoot them with a gun, since it is illegal to fire over water or from a motored mode of transportation. BUT that would be way cool
    Don't shoot over or across the water unless your are hunting waterfowl during waterfowl season. You are so right Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Sounds like it would be a lot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    haha they are fun to shoot. give it a try sometime!
    I wish I had a bow to shoot them with.

I did see some guys at Otter Pit last week and they were launching at around 8 pm just as it got dark. They said it was fun.

I need to learn more about archery and maybe get into this. Another hobby I'd like to get into.

Post Thanks / Like
    They should allow other ways to rid them of our waterways, i.e. snagging. I understand the reason for not allowing it, but I have accidentally snagged a few in my time and boy is it FUN! Plus they make excellent coyote bait.