Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn Creek question

A couple of my buddies and I are planning to kayak/fish Elkhorn Creek sometime in the very near future. It will be about an hour and a half drive for us. I have the FloodWatch app on my phone and it says the water level is at 3.89 ft. near Frankfort. Is this a good water level? If not could anyone tell me what is so we may plan our trip accordingly. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a new fisher and couldn't support you many helpful suggestions... but, I just wish you good luck.. And maybe you can google for some advices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Canoe Kentucky. They are a full service kayak and canoe dealer on Elkhorn Creek. They make their living on the creek and know everything about it. You can look them up on Facebook. They are located outside of Frankfort on Peaks Mill. You will find them to be a very valuable resource. Stay safe. The Elkhorn can get dangerous very quickly. Follow their advice is my advice. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to what MSD said, they usually have current water conditions for that section of the crick on their FB page.

If you want to be more anaaylitic you can look at the flow chart history section of the USGS ** USGS 03288100 NORTH ELKHORN CREEK AT GEORGETOWN, KY site. This link is for Georgetown so you will need to find the page for forks or Frankfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    A good, fishable level for main branch of the Elkhorn at the Frankfort guage is 3.5ft (500 CFS) or below. Here is a good place to watch it. USGS Current Conditions for USGS 03289500 ELKHORN CREEK NEAR FRANKFORT, KY

I have fished it at higher levels but it seems that more than 500cfs got to be a little bit of a chore and some of the rapids got a little rough for my liking. This is all a matter of opinion of course.

I don't really fish the north and south forks of the Elkhorn so I don't know what would be a good level for those.

Post Thanks / Like

Water Level

You might want to contact Canoe Kentucky; they should be able to help you regarding what are good water levels. They rent kayak and canoes and will also take you out at certain points and bring you back to where you put in. The website is "http://www.canoeky.com". They actually have reports and also what are good water levels.