Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of crappie as a game fish

Please guys enjoy a good laugh at my expense. 62 year old dogs can learn new tricks.

I never thought of crappie as a game fish. They were always those tasty modest sized guys that bite so lazy with the tender mouth that you have to be careful reeling in. Really just something you fished for when you wanted fish for dinner.

And then, on Friday when they were nowhere to be found I found them in shallows. Those little suckers can be ferocious when they are about to nest. Based on the eggs I might guess it was a pre PMS thing. . I mean none of these were huge fish but I had a ball. I really think the black ones were bigger fighters than the regular ones. I don't think I ever caught a black one before Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have experienced the same thing with crappie. Most of the time, they fight like wimps. Then you'll get some that can really slam your bait & put up a decent fight. Love catching them & especially eating them. They just don't consistantly fight as hard as a big bluegill.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Colbyt ...

I'll assume by "black ones" that you are referring to the male White Crappie ... and yes, they will defend their nest & crush anything that gets too close. Crappie have always been a "game fish" ... they've just never been known for ferocious strikes, or being hard pulling fighters. Then again, if you downsize your equipment to their level ... you can get some serious pullage, once a decent sized one has been hooked.

What lake did you say you were fishing at ??? LOL !!

.... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Crappiepappy is right if you use a ultra light rod with 4-6 lb test them crappie can give you a nice little fight and you've got yourself a war if a catfish or a good size bass takes your bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Crappie

why would the black crappie be the white male crappie? There are a separate species that are black crappie. They have more physical features that allow them to fight harder. They have a wider more compact body similar to a smallmouth bass which can make for fun fishing trips

Post Thanks / Like

Red face King31 ....

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    why would the black crappie be the white male crappie? There are a separate species that are black crappie. They have more physical features that allow them to fight harder. They have a wider more compact body similar to a smallmouth bass which can make for fun fishing trips

I did say "I assume" .... and I based that assumption on the statement "I really think the black ones were bigger fighters than the regular ones. I don't think I ever caught a black one before Friday."

I assumed he was catching male White Crappie, since he was catching them shallow & water temps should be past spawning temps for Black Crappie. I also assumed that "regular ones" was in reference to White Crappie that were not in spawning colors.

I may be too sensitive to having heard people call the male White Crappie a "Black Crappie" ... just because of the excess black pigmentation display. I'm well aware of the two different species, the crossbred versions (natural & artificial), as well as the Blacknose Black Crappie (which is a naturally occurring Black Crappie with a dominant marker pigmentation gene that produces a black stripe from the dorsal fin down to the bottom lip).

He may well have been catching Black Crappie ... I just didn't think he was referring to them, since he stated "I don't think I ever caught a black one before Friday". He hasn't responded, so we won't know for sure until he does (considering whether or not HE knows the difference between the two species).

I was also "baiting" him, to learn what lake he was fishing .... LOL !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    White specs or black specs. Actually overall the fish was darker than this image Black Crappie

It is private pond, Ellersie in Lexington.

Thanks for all the comments I take it all with a shot of salt and a cold brew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old pappy has forgotten more about crappie than the rest of us know! Heard if anyone still catchen em at nolin or t-Ville? Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Trevor: Listen to Crappie Pappy on this one about the male White Crappie being black in color during the spawn.

Count the dorsal fins to tell the difference between the two sub species of crappie.

During the Spawn when the males are full of harmones and guarding the nest in shallower water they turn a dark black and are more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post