Search Fishin.com

Thread: What a Derby!

Post Thanks / Like

What a Derby!

I'm surprised nobody's posted about it yet. I was really impressed by Orb. Circling the field the way he did, I think he showed he was much the best horse yesterday. He won with my money on him, so he must be That's usually the kiss of death. And I'm just delighted for my old boss, Shug McGaughey. Nobody ever deserved a Derby win more than him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to be quite a horse racing fan and Shug was always someone I admired. The epitome of class. Wow, you used to work for him? Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I used to be quite a horse racing fan and Shug was always someone I admired. The epitome of class. Wow, you used to work for him? Awesome.
    Yup, back in '84-'85. Pulled out my old win pictures yesterday and boy, did it make me feel old!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Yup, back in '84-'85. Pulled out my old win pictures yesterday and boy, did it make me feel old!
    So, what did you do.....btw, that is WAY, WAY cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a groom. None of the horses under my direct care were famous, although one did turn out to be an important broodmare for the Phipps' family, named Pure Profit. I doubt you've heard of her, but her daughter, Inside Information, ran away and hid from the field in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies, setting a track record that I think still stands (not sure about that). And my "feed partner" rubbed Personal Ensign, so I got to be around her every day, which was WAY cool. The best horse I had in terms of racing performance was a colt named Mustin Lake that he trained right before he took over the Phipps' stable. That colt beat Storm Cat in their first start up at Saratoga, and ended up winning the Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill on Thanksgiving Day of '85. Man, I was having Derby dreams then! But alas, it was not to be. We turned Mustin Lake over to Rusty Arnold to train, and went to Gulfstream Park to take over the Phipps stable from Angel Montana. Mustin Lake never did much after that, and ended up standing stud over in Australia for about $1500 a pop. Which made me happy; I'm sure that was a good life for him.

Those were the days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    I was a groom. None of the horses under my direct care were famous, although one did turn out to be an important broodmare for the Phipps' family, named Pure Profit. I doubt you've heard of her, but her daughter, Inside Information, ran away and hid from the field in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies, setting a track record that I think still stands (not sure about that). And my "feed partner" rubbed Personal Ensign, so I got to be around her every day, which was WAY cool. The best horse I had in terms of racing performance was a colt named Mustin Lake that he trained right before he took over the Phipps' stable. That colt beat Storm Cat in their first start up at Saratoga, and ended up winning the Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill on Thanksgiving Day of '85. Man, I was having Derby dreams then! But alas, it was not to be. We turned Mustin Lake over to Rusty Arnold to train, and went to Gulfstream Park to take over the Phipps stable from Angel Montana. Mustin Lake never did much after that, and ended up standing stud over in Australia for about $1500 a pop. Which made me happy; I'm sure that was a good life for him.

Those were the days...
    That is a pretty cool story my friend........PRETTY COOL.

Later,

Geo