Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance or Humminbird?

I'm looking for a decent easy to use down imaging with built in GPS combo. Not looking to spend a ton of money but what good quality for the money. I was looking at the lowrance elite 5 and the humminbird 597ci. Anybody have their personal opinion or recommend a different brand or model?? Thanks for all the help

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance / Hummingbirg

I have an Elite 5 GPS and I have not had any issues. I have all Lowrance electronics and my only complaint would be with their customer service. Had an issue with my other Lowrance GPS and it was very difficult working with the customer service folks. They basiclly stopped servicing my unit which was only 4yrs old at the time. In so many words I was told tough luck...........buy a new one. I have never owned a Hummingbird unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Humminbird 597 hd di ci unit and love it. The down imaging is awesome fishing lakes and rivers. It has the regular 2d sonar also which I like. Humminbird's customer service is also great. I screwed up updating the software on a 728 unit and called the folks at Humminbird and was told to send it to them. They reprogramed the unit and had it back to me in 3 day and did not charge me a dime, not even for shipping it back to me. Great unit for the money. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also recommend the Humminbird 597. I had this unit and found it very easy to use. I am now getting a chance to use Lowrance which came with the new boat I just purchased. I anxious to see how they compare. You might want to move up to the 598 si hd. I up grade on the last boat and loved the SI & DI on the 898 and 798 I installed together. I believe also if you purchase a 798 or larger Humminbird has a mail in rebate till June. Good Luck.

Dan

Evansvillebassmasters.webs.com
    Evansville Bassmasters Club|Facebook.com

onemorecast56 Guest
    went to bass pro yesterday and was wanting the Elite 5 but they have sold out not getting anymore so I got the Hummingbird 597 Ci HD they have a 100 rebate right now

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dan do you have the lakemaster Great Lake

I see where you have the hummingbird 898 C SI unit. They make a Lakemaster digital map card that has KY lake and Patoka Lake on it with 1 ft contours. Bluegrass Pit and Otter Pit are also on this digital Lakemaster map card. It's the Lakemaster Great Lakes Map. They also have an year or two old Lakemaster IN/OH digital map but it does NOT have Patoka lake or KY lake on it.

If you get a Minn-kota with I Pilot you can use the 898 and the lake master map to control the I pilot. I'm always wishing I had the Minn-kota Terrova instead of the one I have now. The Minn-kota V2 also will work with this system.

And to stay on thread, I also like the Humminbird Customer Service. They have kept my 1980's LCR8000 Hummingbird going strong for over 30 years now. I've sent it in to Humminbird for service twice in the last 30 years. I still use it on the front of my boat today. I got caught in a rain storm the other day and some water entered the unit. I unscrewed the security screws and took it apart and dried it out in the sun with a hair drier and then put it back together and it's working fine now. It's older technology but it has a big 8" diagonal screen and still looks cool on the front of my boat. I use it to locate deep water brush piles and drop offs or anything that my 898 can do in 2d sonar only. The pixels are bigger on the LCR8000's screen but they still tell me where the fish and drop offs are located. I have been using this front depth finder to catch a lot of fish over the last 30 years. That should tell you something about how reliable the Humminbird units are and how effective the Humminbird customer service dept is.

Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    I would also recommend the Humminbird 597. I had this unit and found it very easy to use. I am now getting a chance to use Lowrance which came with the new boat I just purchased. I anxious to see how they compare. You might want to move up to the 598 si hd. I up grade on the last boat and loved the SI & DI on the 898 and 798 I installed together. I believe also if you purchase a 798 or larger Humminbird has a mail in rebate till June. Good Luck.

Dan

Evansvillebassmasters.webs.com
    Evansville Bassmasters Club|Facebook.com