Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! I'm having an invasion

This is not anything that will ever appear on tv news but I'm still in need of help. I have a lake, that is at least 70 years old, about 300 feet from my back porch. Have never had any trouble with turtles until this year. They are coming into my yard and digging holes to lay their eggs and are leaving piles of loose dirt. I try to watch for them and send them back to the lake but they seem to be winning the battle. We had an alligator that ate the turtles up until this year. He either left in search of a lover or someone has killed him.

Does anyone on this board know what I can do to stop the turtles from coming into my yard? All information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    This is not anything that will ever appear on tv news but I'm still in need of help. I have a lake, that is at least 70 years old, about 300 feet from my back porch. Have never had any trouble with turtles until this year. They are coming into my yard and digging holes to lay their eggs and are leaving piles of loose dirt. I try to watch for them and send them back to the lake but they seem to be winning the battle. We had an alligator that ate the turtles up until this year. He either left in search of a lover or someone has killed him.

Does anyone on this board know what I can do to stop the turtles from coming into my yard? All information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    They are PROTECTED.......so you can pretty much do nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

solution

Black top! or a south western garden,[a whole lot of rocks and weeds]

HURRICANEBOB Guest

contact either your local animal control or wildlife control folks and ask then to come an assess the situation, and provide a humane resolution. Bug, saving that, sit on the back porch with a friend who holds the spot light at night, and see if you can still hit the broad side of a barn. I know you never could before, but you've had time to mature, relax, and practice. So you go girl!

PS: drop moth balls on the obvious routes of advance or near the lake where you see signs of their trailers to the main land. Moth balls cost less per round then a .38 special.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Black top! or a south western garden,[a whole lot of rocks and weeds]
    BLACKTOP....really? Comon man?!?!??!?!!?!? I got roaches. You want me to blacktop my basement?

"Welcome to the Bass Bug invitational long-range turtle busting long rifle shoot"

Did you know turtles are actually female bartenders?

Post Thanks / Like

moth balls

How can you tell them apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    The "turtle man" can come down there!!! He prolly needs some new material! Have you seen that show bug?? Animal Planet I believe?
    What kind of turtles?? I never even thought about freshwater turtles laying eggs like saltwater turtles???? Hmmmm I never had a reason to even consider that.....

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    How can you tell them apart?
    Scratch and sniff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Miss Bug I had two or three doing that in my back yard for several years in a row. I have a small creek that borders my property and those Snappers would come and do that. I just kept covering the hole they made up and eventually they moved on. Not sure there is much you can do Dear except grin and bear it.

I was amazed at the size of the hole they would dig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    The "turtle man" can come down there!!! He prolly needs some new material! Have you seen that show bug?? Animal Planet I believe?
    What kind of turtles?? I never even thought about freshwater turtles laying eggs like saltwater turtles???? Hmmmm I never had a reason to even consider that.....
    They are mostly brown mottled color and are ALL about 10-12 inches in diameter. Before the alligator came to hang out in the lake, it looked like there were at least a hundred of those suckers lying around on stumps and fallen trees in the water. Oddly, they never came into the yard until this year. The 'gator had a feast crunching and eating turtles and removed most of them. Geo said they are protected but I don't understand why because there is definitely no shortage of them.

I have seen the "Turtle Man" show a few times but am not sure I could handle much of that screeching that he does. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    they are mostly brown mottled color and are all about 10-12 inches in diameter. Before the alligator came to hang out in the lake, it looked like there were at least a hundred of those suckers lying around on stumps and fallen trees in the water. Oddly, they never came into the yard until this year. The 'gator had a feast crunching and eating turtles and removed most of them. Geo said they are protected but i don't understand why because there is definitely no shortage of them.

I have seen the "turtle man" show a few times but am not sure i could handle much of that screeching that he does. Lol
    ye ye ye ye ye ye ye......live action

Post Thanks / Like

"soup is good food"