Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Catfish: Ohio River

I live in Louisville and was wanting to know where you can catch catfish. I don't do the catfish tournaments just want to fun fish.... I have a daughter who is 8 years old and want to get her catching something that will pull.

Years ago we use to fish around 18 mile island and had some luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how to answer your question but I would love to learn how to catfish from boat on the Ohio. Anyone have any good links or sites related to this. Im primarily a bass fisher but cant keep my fiance very interested and think she would have a ball catching big cats. Just don't know how to get into something Ive never done.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDi View Post
    I live in Louisville and was wanting to know where you can catch catfish. I don't do the catfish tournaments just want to fun fish.... I have a daughter who is 8 years old and want to get her catching something that will pull.

Years ago we use to fish around 18 mile island and had some luck.
    I take it you have a boat if your fishing 18 mile,I have fished it for years. Both the head of the island,there's a littledeep area on the Ky. side that holds alot of channelcats, and the tail of the island for flats on the Ky side of the island just be careful because the tail has a long sandbar that changes alot. Also try 18 mile creek. Are you putting your boat in at Westport? I used to take my daughters down there with a bucket of KFC, and some old shrimp,white or pink" no tiger" and flat tear up the channels.I don't really fish for them anymore....just don't get big enough and my daughters for the most part rarely fish anymore.If you need some more specifics PM me and I'll try to help...I've caught a few in that area. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    I don't know how to answer your question but I would love to learn how to catfish from boat on the Ohio. Anyone have any good links or sites related to this. Im primarily a bass fisher but cant keep my fiance very interested and think she would have a ball catching big cats. Just don't know how to get into something Ive never done.
    I think you guy's would enjoy fishing the Falls area...lots a good fishing and some pretty cool scenery.You just have to be careful, take it slow and learn the area. The site catfishBob gave you is a good site, you can also go to this sites archives and find anything you want to know also. Lots a guy's on here fish this area. Good luck. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a ledge on the Indiana side where the river turns, its an outside bend, just up river about 1/4 mi from the Westport ramp that can be really good for blues this time of year. Also a little further up river is an area where the river bottom goes up and down on the Indiana side that is good for drifting. Another spot in that same area on the Ky side there is a white wall on the bank (Hickory grove) across from the sand quarry, anchor about 30 to 40' off the bank. The catfishing has really declined in the past few years. The best advice that I can give is to gather fresh shad from the creeks in this area and watch your depth finder and anchor or drift on top of the areas where you mark fish, or there is a change in the bottom contour.

HURRICANEBOB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    Compared to the others that have provided good advice, I'm a hacker and an amateur for sure. But here's how I first started, and frankly do this stuff today alot.

1. Anchor up, easier than managing lines drifiting til you get more used to it.
    2. Look for flats near a channel. Then on that flats look for deep holes or humps. Anchor above that terrain and cast back to the base of a hump or the lip of a drop.
    3. Shad and skipjack are great bait. Pepper tackle normally has skipjack and sometimes shad frozen to make it simple. To make it even simpler, I used big hooks and put about 6 nightcrawlers on if I can make them fit. Next rod gets a piece of fresh chicken that had been soaking in a plastic tub of chicken livers.
    4. Normally put 6 rods out, 2 with heavy sinkers to be sure they went to the bottom (3 oz). 2 more rods with just 1 oz lead on them. And the last 2 with just 1/2 oz of weight. When a rod with a type bait, and a size weight got hit, I start migrating rods to that bait and weight.

This is just some thoughts. Frankly, I still do most of this stuff cause I don't fish the river enough to know where to go exactly, and what to use exactly, or atleast don't have enough confidence to have such a refined plan.

For the wife, she gets her tablet computer, her cell phone, plenty of cold drinks and snacks, a warm blanket to wrap up in, binos to watch for eagles, and I keep talking about river stuff to keep her from boredom until someting happens and a rod rips out some line. As well as I fish the river, some times all the electronics batteries are dead, the Cokes are gone, and my voice is hoarse, and she's been asleep for an hour before something happens. Then I getting chewed out for waking her up while she giggles with a rod doubled over.

And yep, on occassion the anchor goes down, the first 2 rods go in the holders, and ya don't get any further than that cause lines are ripping all over the place, and the wife is laughing, and the sun is shining.......then a loud thump.....and I realize I fell out of bed again. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    then a loud thump.....and I realize I fell out of bed again. :-)

Bob, I thought your keepers at the asylum kept you strapped in at night?

onemorecast56 Guest
    tell you what if you want i can take you down and show you around,,,where to take your boat and where not too...i know FEW PLACES TO GET YOU STARTED...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    tell you what if you want i can take you down and show you around,,,where to take your boat and where not too...i know FEW PLACES TO GET YOU STARTED...
    Yeah..Onemore can show you where all his old lower units are. Bring a metal detector if you want the exact locations. Haha couldn't help myself.

I went through a lot of aluminum props down there learning some of it and it wasn't even the hard part. Bought a stainless and never had that problem again.

onemorecast56 Guest
    you know come to think of it,,,i`ve never busted a prop down there....and ask anybody that has gone with me i`m not scared to get into places with boats i shoulod be in there with,,,lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I dinged up my stainless prop pretty good at the New Albany ramp several years ago with low water levels.

TUCKER'S LANDING to the rescue. Not a free rescue but he does good work.