Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River Sucess!

Went out to my honey hole on the Ohio last night. Started slow but right before dark they started hitting good. Caught a total of 4 Striper or hybrids... I really can't tell them apart. and one spotted bass that probably would have went 2 pounds. As far as I can remember that is the first spotted bass that I have caught in the Ohio and I really didn't know what it was when I caught it. The red eyes through me off for sure! Are these rare in the Ohio or am I just not very observant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tons of Kentucky's in the Ohio.....very common

Post Thanks / Like
    most common bass in the river!

Post Thanks / Like
    The most common fish in the river?! thats crazy because I have fish that section for a while but don't remember catching a bass with red eyes that looked like that... I guess i just never noticed it or caught one big enough to take a good look at. Any way around it I would love to catch a couple more of them. Sorry for the dumb question I guess I spent so much time fishing farm ponds that when I caught a bass it was just a large mouth or a small mouth. I will have to start looking harder.

Post Thanks / Like
    He didn't say that.................He said the most common BASS in the river and I would have to agree...
    Kentucky's are a dime a dozen in almost every River, Creek and big lake in the state. That's why they are our State Bass. There is no size limit on them however the daily Creel limit applies. The reason there is no size limit is because the KDFWR wants people to keep them and eat them because in many cases there is quite frankly too many of them in some waters...

Post Thanks / Like
    What section of river did you get out on?

Also, not all spots have the red eyes or the predominant markings that make is easy to tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I guess that makes sense on the state fish. We were fishing below meldah. Obviously not too close to be in any type of danger but thats all I'll say . The spot has been gettin hammered more and more every year but the fishing is still pretty good when there is a decent current to keep a lot of people away.