Search Fishin.com

Thread: My heart breaks

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My heart breaks

What those poor people are going through in Oklahoma is just horrible. It always especially hurts me to see loss of life to children. There was no escaping an EF4 or 5, conventional construction has no chance at 200 mph winds. In the future since there is no sub ground level area's to go to in those schools they are going to have to take stronger or alternative building measures or fail safes to ensure this never happens again.

I am not trying to Monday morning QB, however if you live in such Tornado ravaged area's something has got to be done to protect children in the schools. Most homes in Oklahoma do not have basements due to very dense Bedrock. Some of the lucky or fortunate ones have sub ground level cellars. It's just heart breaking and I can not imagine. My thoughts and prayers are for all those that were devasted by this monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah man thats a tough situation. we were pretty worried about some friends who live in Moore but luckily they all made it. I have watched a lot of the coverage but was wondering why can't they call school off on days like that? Are there that many days that have such a high chance of tornados??? Imo....Calling school off happens in Kentucky a lot for winter weather. Wonder why they couldn't do that there for tornados.....of course if they have a high chance for weeks at a time it wouldn't work to well..

Post Thanks / Like
    Don that is actually a good idea. That was one of those days that they pretty much KNEW was going to have severe weather, I like your idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    What those poor people are going through in Oklahoma is just horrible. It always especially hurts me to see loss of life to children. There was no escaping an EF4 or 5, conventional construction has no chance at 200 mph winds. In the future since there is no sub ground level area's to go to in those schools they are going to have to take stronger or alternative building measures or fail safes to ensure this never happens again.

I am not trying to Monday morning QB, however if you live in such Tornado ravaged area's something has got to be done to protect children in the schools. Most homes in Oklahoma do not have basements due to very dense Bedrock. Some of the lucky or fortunate ones have sub ground level cellars. It's just heart breaking and I can not imagine. My thoughts and prayers are for all those that were devasted by this monster.

I watched as the tornadoes ravaged Oklahoma City and Moore, OK. I couldn't hold back the tears because I have gone through some tornadoes and the fear is so horrible it made my spine feel like it was frozen. I can't imagine losing family members, children, pets, and everything a person owns. I pray for healing and restoration for all those people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Yeah man thats a tough situation. we were pretty worried about some friends who live in Moore but luckily they all made it. I have watched a lot of the coverage but was wondering why can't they call school off on days like that? Are there that many days that have such a high chance of tornados??? Imo....Calling school off happens in Kentucky a lot for winter weather. Wonder why they couldn't do that there for tornados.....of course if they have a high chance for weeks at a time it wouldn't work to well..
    The end result of this would be a lot of latchkey kids at home by themselves while Mom and/or Dad was at work. They are actually more safe at school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    The end result of this would be a lot of latchkey kids at home by themselves while Mom and/or Dad was at work. They are actually more safe at school.
    Not so sure about that...When we have snow days here we never left kids in Elementary School at home alone. A parent called in sick. Maybe older kids would be home alone?
    Speaking for me of my kids....I'll keep them with me in the event of something like this. Trust me...if I lived in Tornado alley I would have a storm shelter and wouldn't want someone else being responsible for the safety of my kids.
    In Florida we would have days to plan but school was called off and we stayed at home with our parents....didn't happen often but when it did that's how it went.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Not so sure about that...When we have snow days here we never left kids in Elementary School at home alone. A parent called in sick. Maybe older kids would be home alone?
    Speaking for me of my kids....I'll keep them with me in the event of something like this. Trust me...if I lived in Tornado alley I would have a storm shelter and wouldn't want someone else being responsible for the safety of my kids.
    In Florida we would have days to plan but school was called off and we stayed at home with our parents....didn't happen often but when it did that's how it went.
    Oklahoma tornado rips away safety of school

The article talks about what happened at the schools.