Search Fishin.com

Thread: Ohio river!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio river!!!

WAVE NEWS

Please people be careful on the river!!! If you don't know how to "read the river" current. Or if you don't know the cut going up to the fossil beds. Don't try it. I saw two boats Sunday try to enter the duck pond and hit rocks. One got stuck and was taking on water. They were very lucky to get themselves off of the rock wall. Could have ended wrost. The current and low water isn't something to play with. Please be safe and smart on the water this year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that.

The fluctuating river water levels can be a challenge. One day you can travel a certain route, and the next day you can't. I still get a little puckered up motoring up to the fossil beds on occasion.

I believe that new members here see the posts about the fishing results and even having been warned launch on the river with no knowledge of the waters.

I've finally wised up and wear a PFD at all times when I'm on the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was up there yesterday and all i can say is you guys that run the river and know it are some brave $&@$$&@ 's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gocards40 View Post
    I was up there yesterday and all i can say is you guys that run the river and know it are some brave $&@$$&@ 's.
    Not brave at all. Just a lot of experience, being taught by knowledgeable people,and some common sense.

There has been more than one occasion that I've turned my boat around and fished in friendlier areas of the dam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been fishin the beds for 40 years and I still get the pucker factor coming around the end of wave rock! Allways fear the river....the day you don't, will be the day it jumps up and gets you.....Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone catching any cat drifting at the falls, I have a few days and thinking of giving it a try one day this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    anyone catching any cat drifting at the falls, I have a few days and thinking of giving it a try one day this week.

Nope.Nobody here catching any fish in that area.

Just kidding. I've been having some of the best luck in years recently. Just be kind enough to move out of the way of a Blue over white Stratos with a 115 Johnson motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished down were you guys make the 90 degree turn at the ditch. I don't know what you call it. I was puckered watching

Post Thanks / Like
    It was "fun" over the weekend making the run up to the fossil beds with the low water and high current!!!!! Just got to hold on and go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Man" View Post
    It was "fun" over the weekend making the run up to the fossil beds with the low water and high current!!!!! Just got to hold on and go for it!
    Tyler you have to teach me how to make it up there safe. I know how to get to the dam but I have not dared to go to the falls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsman_33 View Post
    Tyler you have to teach me how to make it up there safe. I know how to get to the dam but I have not dared to go to the falls.
    Sir, you are a wise man.

Do not ever attempt that on your own. It took many trips with people experienced with that route before I ever attempted it on my own. It's a lot trickery than it looks and as I've stated on some other posts, I still get a "pucker factor" when I run that shute.

Problems to consider are
    1.What is the upper dam release?
    2. What is the lower dam release?
    3. And most important, what is the water level lower on the lower river? A depth of 18 feet is a lot more forgiving than when it gets down to 12 feet or lower.

It is my firm belief that no one can instruct you on this route over the phone,texting,or on the net. It must be learned on the river, in a boat, my someone experienced.

This phone number is your friend 502-775-5056