Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Green River Lake info

Anyone have suggestions for LMB at Green River Lake? I will be there on June 15th. I have only been there once years ago.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    By then, probably night fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    By then, the daytime bite may be starting to get tough. My best luck from Mid-June on is looking for brush piles and/or drops in 15-30 feet of water. Right now, they should still be a little shallower and more associated with the mouths of cuts and creeks. But the spawn has really just ended, so they haven't finished moving to the summer haunts.

Green is clear enough that you will probably not get bit shallow unless you head up in the river to find some color in the water.

We have our June USA Bassin tournament on Saturday the 8th and will be fishing the R&W Night tournament that night as well. I'll know more about where they are at after the weekend. If we do well, it is a safe bet we found them in brushpiles using texas rigged worms or brush-hogs.

Clint Cone
    USA Bassin Green River Lake division director
    clintcone@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.....It is a small club tournament and I am very unfamiliar with Green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for LMB at Green River Lake? I will be there on June 15th. I have only been there once years ago.

Thanks!

Any updates? Anyone been this week or last weekend? Would you go to the left or right if putting in at the state dock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post
    Any updates? Anyone been this week or last weekend? Would you go to the left or right if putting in at the state dock?
    Right, for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished a club tourneyment there back on 19May and won it with 18.59 lbs. We also had big fish which was 6lbs. Second had 15 and change. At that time, fish it was spawn/post spawn. Right now, I would think the fish are starting to move to there summer patterns. I would think you would need to fish that 15 ft mark.

Now, I'm a plastics guy so I throw a lot of craws, worms, etc. I have fished a couple of lakes since and have found that the best rig to through is the Caronlina rig. I'm a Texas rig guy but that bite has been tough so I've switched to that C-Rig and have caught some good fish (major of my keepers). I've also switched to using more big lizards (Zoom Mag's) vs. the small.

Hopefully this helps you out. And catch some biggens...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    In our tournament last weekend there were two sacks weighed in that were 16-17 pounds. We had 14.68 pounds. All our fish were caught either in brushpiles or around wood. The bites all came between 7-15 feet down, although one spot we were fishing they were suspended in the wood over much deeper water. I had one on tht would have had us in the ballpark with the winners, but a reel/brain malfunction allowed her to throw the bait.

I don't know how the winning sacks were caught, but if I were fishing again this weekend, I would keep my bait in brush. If you are going to be on the lake tomorrow and have a side-finder... use it to locate brush around main lake flats and points in 10-20 feet of water. This time of year, that is where they should be going.

There was a shad spawn still going on last weekend. If that is still happening, that could give you a different way to catch them. We didn't know about it til we were there... and we hadn't ever had the opportunity to figure out how to use that info. I suspect after this week it should be over, but you could verify it if you are early enough on the water tomorrow (my understanding is tht they slow down as the sun comes up).

As far as baits to throw... I'm a plastics fisherman, so I throw texas rigged baits most of the time. Use either a 3/16 or 1/4 ounce weight. In the early morning, we can usually get bit on a baby brush hog in watermellon red or watermellon purple. We also have luck on Zoom Mag II's in plum. Once the sun is up, we switch to a smaller more finesse type of worm in plum. Something like a ring-tail.

I wish I could put you on some specific spots, but I think Bruce would tie a cinderblock to my leg and use me as a new brushpile. The only community holes we fished this weekend blanked us.

Clint Cone
    USA Bassin Green River Lake division director
    clintcone@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all!! I am a Texas rig fan myself and just started C-rig last year at KY lake with Dave Stewart. I have a few channel/points marked on my maps..

Thanks again!