Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Shakey Head Fishing

I've been experimenting with this technique and does anybody fish this on baitcasting gear? I prefer to use casting equip and have been using a 7 ft crankin srick throwing a 1/4 oz jog head on 12lb fluro. I also used spinning gear 10 lb fluro throwing 1/8 oz jig head. Any insight to fishing this specific technique would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    This article describes 4 shakey head techiniques. #1 - 3 for spinning reel, #4 for baitcaster. Good article
    Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes: Content / Lure Technique / ?Shakey Head? When to use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you use a crankin stick instead of a worm or jig rod?
    On the lakes the norm is becoming a large worm on the shakey head fishing the ledges.
    Also I read the article and a 6ft medium action spinning rod sounds a little skinny too me. I would go 6'6 to 7 foot medium heavy to fish 10 pound line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the article, has some good info. On the crankin stick I was experimenting with a soft rod compared to a spinning rod to give the worm action, and I set the hook like a spinning rod just started reeling. It worked actually worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I fish shakey with a baitcaster rigged with 15lb (not really a finesse weight line there, oh well) and use a custom built medium power Kistler rod with a fast tip. I've had great success with the set up and like the baitcaster as I just get tired of using a spinning rod for very long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on liking the spinning reel very long. I myself like the baitcaster for all my plastics and jigs. I saw a lot of articles about stuff working great for people, well thats your answer. If it works good for you need to switch. As long as your hooking up with fish more often than not your doing fine. Your not always going to get good hook sets, know matter how much that fish has it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    i throw shakey head a lot. I use spinning gear only because it's easier for me to throw lighter weights longer distances than with my baitcasting gear. I mainly use it when the bass seem sluggish. If you put a finesse worm on a 1/4oz shaky head in front of a bass, he will eat it whether he's actively feeding or not.

One day, I was fishing a clear lake and jiggled, shook, and wobbled my shaky head as much as I could without moving the jig head. There was no added action to the worm. I think the lure has more action simply because the soft plastic stands up, not because you shake it.

My advice: throw whatever you feel is your most sensitive rod that will allow you to cast the lure far enough. Spinning vs. baitcasting is about the cast, not the lure action. The sensitivity is critical because the bass pick it up subtly (remember, I use this for inactive fish).

Also, a bigger creature bait works well in muddier water fished slower, but displacing water so the fish can find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like spinning and casting for the shakey head.

When I want a little lighter 1/8 or 3/16, then I use spinning. Any heavier and if I'm fishing at night or on ledges I use my baitcaster.

I have a nice cumara med/heavy fast with a johnny morris setup that is perfect for the shakey head.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a medium weight 6.5ft baitcasting rod with 10lb line. Works great for me.