Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he is. Those are the only ones i know of

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually was driving that route today and yes it is near Lynnville exit. They look like canals and lakes off to the south side of the interstate.

Can you fish those? Is there anything in them? Where would you launch?

They look great, as your passing them doing 70mph

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the ones to the south are mostly private, but people may still fish them without consent. There are more knowledgeable people on this though, and I am sure they will be around soon to let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the area

I drive by this area once in a while and wonder the same thing. They look like 50 year old strip pits that the coal company owned or mined in the past. I don't know who owns them not.

I guess you could get the GPS map coordinates and go down to the Warrick County Court House in Boonville and get the plot mat and look up the owners.

There is a third party software company that makes a digital plot map for different States that works on the Garmin Montana Series GPS units. The mini SD chip with adaptor costs around $100 bucks. I thought about buying and using this to know who owns what while I'm out scouting for hunting land.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post
    I actually was driving that route today and yes it is near Lynnville exit. They look like canals and lakes off to the south side of the interstate.

Can you fish those? Is there anything in them? Where would you launch?

They look great, as your passing them doing 70mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Coal company still owns them. And strictly enforce no hunting or fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they owned by Peabody Coal or an affiliat

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Coal company still owns them. And strictly enforce no hunting or fishing.
    Jason do you know which coal company owns them? Here is the reason I ask.

Years ago I drove up to Northern Warrick County and was riding around on the gravel roads that go though the mine lands. A guy in a security truck told me that it was closed and that my truck would be hauled away if he caught me up there. Then years later I heard that this fat guy was going around telling everyone this but that was not actually the policy of the coal companies. Perhaps this was a different coal company. So others on fishin.com responded in a thread a while back and said that this guy too had told them that but he was not able to do what he said he could. Now I don't know who to believe.

I won't take a chance going up there to fish unless I know for sure that it's ok with the land owners.

Are there not more than one land owner up in these parts. South of Interstate 64 and North of Boonville, IN. I think that's part of the old Tecumseh Mine or am I wrong? Anyone else know for sure.

Tecumseh is East of Highway 61 I think and South of I-64. Isn't that the area that the OP was talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Coal companies have reclaimed most of the property up there and are mining some again. A lot of the reclaimed areas have signs up about hunting and fishing. I would assume Peabody owns it. They own a lot of that side.

Post Thanks / Like

Are those the old strip pits?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Coal companies have reclaimed most of the property up there and are mining some again. A lot of the reclaimed areas have signs up about hunting and fishing. I would assume Peabody owns it. They own a lot of that side.
    Those older strip pits that are right along the side of I-64 and that have older taller pine trees growing in the spoils banks are the ones he was taking about.

Now further East of there they coal company can be seen reclaiming a lot of the coal fields that were once strip mined. I think that's part of the old Tecumseh mine. That area can also be seen from I-64. The last time I drove by that area was last fall on my way up to fish at Patoka lake. I think that area is just East of the Highway 61 exit at I-64. I'm thinking that State Hwy 61 is the one that goes from Boonville to Lynnville. Is that the right highway number?

Every time I drive by there I think about wanting to come back some day and fish those pits. They remind me a lot of the Lynnville Park Strip Pit. I'd fish Lynnville more often if they would take care of the concrete launch ramp there. That thing is a slimy and dangerous mess which the Warrick County Park's dept should take better care of. Compare that to the ramps at Bluegrass and ask why the one at Lynnville is so bad. It's not maintained at all. They allow algae to grow in the concrete and have never treated the algae to kill it and keep the ramp in better shape. It's so slippery that you can easily fall there. And if you don't have four wheel drive and get your back tires in the algae your vehicle might just slip back into the lake.

All that algae could be prevented with a little chemical treatment ever few months and a good stiff broom to scrub off the dead algae and plant growth off the concrete. A little back breaking work and some chemicals will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

North Blue Grass Ramp Closure

The ramp will be closed for about two weeks starting July 8th 2013.