Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GobyPuck View Post
    Why not Braid? Doesn't it last longer, cast better, less memory, and more sensitive than Fluoro?
    Its purely a personal preference based on experience....good and bad. I have always loved mono even when the rest of these lines were hot and the "best". I used the other lines but always went back to mono. Recently, I changed to Flouro for plastics and jigs and IMO with the properly tied knot it's the best. I still use mono for topwater and jerkbaits.

As far as ledges/rocks go...for me I have broken off more easily with braid than other lines....That was with jigs and large worms. Maybe the braid was old and frayed? I don't remember that being the case but I broke off to often.

But, I still use braid for my c-rigs with a Flouro leader and but I use a lighter weight than most people I fish with and that along with a lighter drag has almost eliminated my break offs. I like it for that since I can use a stronger line with a smaller more manageable feel than any other line.

I wouldn't use braid for crank baits unless I'm using a spinning rod. FireLine performs great on spinning rods! Would rather use Flouro or mono on crank baits with bait casters.

Like I said its preference to what has proven to be best for me. I'm sure if I fished Ky lake all the time I would adjust to what works better but I fish alot of weeds and grass with limestone rocky points and what I use now is what seems to work the best.

All that considered...when you ask between Flouro or braid with the choices you gave I would go Flouro every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with others that it depends, but...

Geofisher PUT IT ON us one day on KY Lake. Three in the boat, he caught 17lbs with 20+- fish total. We caught two dinks total. Using same baits, trying to replicate his retrieve, no use. Figured out later that the only difference was that he was using flour, we were using braid.

I don't think it matters much on most days, but some days it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I may go with the fluorocarbon. Now is the cheap priced Stren and Viscious anygood or do I need to get the Trilene or even better brand?
    Also, I should use mono as a base shouldn't I? And how much fluoro should I put on and how long does the stuff normally last before you have to change it?
    And last but not least I have read about different knots and drag settings....anyone know anything about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie_m View Post
    I agree with others that it depends, but...

Geofisher PUT IT ON us one day on KY Lake. Three in the boat, he caught 17lbs with 20+- fish total. We caught two dinks total. Using same baits, trying to replicate his retrieve, no use. Figured out later that the only difference was that he was using flour, we were using braid.

I don't think it matters much on most days, but some days it does.
    That was a fun day Not for you................

We did determine it was the braid vs floro. I even took one of the other guys rod and used it for a while and didn't hookup. Both his and my fishing rod were very comparable. He was using a gloomis crankin stick. I was using a medium cumara crankin stick. Same line weight, same bait, close to the same reel.

I threw his gloomis for 10 minutes and not a sniff.....picked mine back up and boom.....boom....back to back........and one of those was close to 6

Yea, it was a fun day.

Later,

Geo