Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Straight up flouricarbon, or braid?

which way is the best to go?

Post Thanks / Like
    what are you fishing for ? what type of water will you be fishing in ? what type of presentation do you plan to offer ? what type of equipment will you be throwing it on ?

it matters...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GobyPuck View Post
    which way is the best to go?
    Braid without question

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    what are you fishing for ? what type of water will you be fishing in ? what type of presentation do you plan to offer ? what type of equipment will you be throwing it on ?

it matters...
    Worm / Jig fishing ledges, Cranking ledges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worm / Jig fishing ledges, Cranking ledges.
    Fluorocarbon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Fluorocarbon.
    Why not Braid? Doesn't it last longer, cast better, less memory, and more sensitive than Fluoro?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go fluorocarbon for those presentations. Fluoro sinks and will get your lures to the bottom quicker and keep them there better. You wont get your cranks as deep with braid.

Post Thanks / Like
    You also risk ripping the hooks out of fish when fishing crankbaits with braid. Then only times I would ever use braid are fishing heavy grass/mats, A-Rigs, topwater such as buzzbaits or frogs, fishing heavy shallow brush, and on a spinning reel with a flouro leader for things like shakey heads, drop shots, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for their input. Has anyone tried that fluorocarbon by Stren that works under a blacklight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for their input. Has anyone tried that fluorocarbon by Stren that works under a blacklight?
    I have not personally used that line but if you do a little searching on here, you'll find very mixed reviews about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    a luxury you have when deciding what line to use is that there are all kinds of monos, braids, and flouros out there, each type has a very specific advantage at some type of fishing. also keep in mind all lines, braids, and monos are not created equal. for example if you decide to go with flouro for say cranking, i would be looking for the softest flouro i could find, yet not so soft that it isnt fairly abrasion resistant. the reasons being first i want a flouro that is soft and limp enough that it will allow the crankbait to wiggle and wobble and it wont kill the action. but at the same time since i primarily beat the paint off a crankbait banging it off every rock, stump, tree, rock wall, clay flat i can find i need the line to be fairly abrasion resistant. for me the answer has been a co-polymer, p-line flouroclear to be exact, gives me a good balance of what im looking for.i more than likely am fishing ultra clear, heavily fished water on cumberland so the flouro coated line seems to work better for "spooky" fish. this is just my opinion and it is based on my equipment, for cranking i have g loomis crainkin rods. each person is going to find the best combination based on their equipment. my only advice to you is dont handicap yourself to a limited written in stone choice.....take full advantage of the huge seletion available to you. before buying a spool of whatever, open the pkg pull 4-5 inches of line out and feel it, twist it, bend it and see how it feels, if you dont like it in your hand your probabaly not going to like it on your reel. my braid choice is power pro becuase of castability, never get wind knots, low memory, super strong, and very sensitive. for bass my mono choice is trilene, for bigger fish , trolling for stripes etc, it trilene big game. once again these are just personal choices, not saying they are "the best", they are , based on my personal experience "the best for me" based on my equipment. you might try some of your buddy's various rod/reel/line combinations for different applications and see what you like. good luck to you

Post Thanks / Like

braid

20/6 braid is the best all around line for me.But I also use a flouro leader. The 10/4 braid is great for FNF fishing.I will not use flouro on a Sammy or spook, it kills the action because it sinks. I have hardly ever ripped a hook out of a fish, that's what drags are for. But that's just what I like, I've got reels spooled with floro, and mono.I even put very heavy braid on my down riggers to cut out the noise, and it worked well. I used 100 lb test.