Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The color "Red"

Post Thanks / Like

you younguns

Ever hear of the dare devil spoons? Red and white bass o renos? jitter bugs were very popular in red and white. And all of them caught fish. Up till a couple of years ago I would tie short piece of red nylon yarnan inch above my hooks for blue gills, and on the river with power bait, most steel head fishermen would also use yarn drifting spawn sacks.On dale in November a red hot lips express still works for big smallies. How about the red and white jointed salt water rapallas and stripers on Cumberland?But the old truth in dark water use vivid color, in clear go subdued is still a good bet. Colors catch fisherman more than fish. When "rubber worms" came out you had a great selection, natural, black , purple. and blue. There was only one spinner bait, the Shannon twin spin, two colors black and brown. Line? black nylon, or Cortland cammo. Wont go into boats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    It's always struck me as odd that companies will paint their lures with bright colors and glitter then use red hooks on them that are not supposed to be visible.

No, sweetie .... red "hooks" are supposed to be visible, red "line" is not. But, the boys do bring up a good point ... red hooks lose the red "paint" fairly quickly, and then you discover that you're actually using a gold hook painted red !!

Personally, I just use bronze hooks ... and can't say as I've EVER had one break, or even bend open from a large fish.

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    No, sweetie .... red "hooks" are supposed to be visible, red "line" is not. ... pappy
    It's always been my understandinding that red is one of the first colors to disappear when submerged in water. It shouldn't matter if it's a hook, a line or a 69 Camaro, red is red. On shallow running lures red "might" get a wounded bait reaction bite but at greater depths red looks like black so other than looking pretty there's no logical reason to have red hooks on a deep running bait.

Effects of Water Depth on Color Visibility - Great Lakes Fishing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    It's always been my understandinding that red is one of the first colors to disappear when submerged in water. It shouldn't matter if it's a hook, a line or a 69 Camaro, red is red. On shallow running lures red "might" get a wounded bait reaction bite but at greater depths red looks like black so other than looking pretty there's no logical reason to have red hooks on a deep running bait.

Effects of Water Depth on Color Visibility - Great Lakes Fishing
    Exactly !! Red doesn't "disappear" (ie - become invisible) it just doesn't reflect, but instead it goes from red to grey to black with ever increasing depth (lack of light). The "hype" over red is directed at clear water & shallow depths.

I was basing my reply to the part of your statement that said " then use red hooks on them that are not supposed to be visible " ... when, actually the "hype" of red hooks is that they ARE supposed to be visible (bleeding bait hype). No disrespect intended.

The "hype" of red line is that it ISN'T visible (or as visible) ... due to being translucent (semi clear), so that some light passes thru it, whereas a red hook, or red 69 Camaro is solid & would reflect. But, it would have to be at a depth where light penetration could reach it in sufficient amounts ... otherwise, it's going to go thru the same red to grey to black scenario.

And, yes ... I agree that red hooks on a deep diving bait (esp in our stained to murky lake waters) is a futile attempt to use the market ploy sales hype to our advantage.

Good fishing to you, Sweetwater !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the next question would be is red mono line superior or inferior to clear flourocarbon Line? With the exception of not sinking as well and being more visible than flourocarbon line, mono is for the most part superior to flourocarbon line in every other way, that being said would red mono be the best or at least a good compromise of both worlds when it comes to the mono vs. flourocarbon debate?

I do understand that flouro becomes "invisible" by refracting light rays to resemble water instead of just becoming gray or black with depth like the color red does.

Post Thanks / Like

Red

Well in the spring of the year, i almost always throw a red crank, or rattletrap, and some days i out catch my partner 3 to 1 when he is throwing a different color, so yes red baits do make a difference every once in a while....