Search Fishin.com

Thread: thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

thoughts?

Whats everyones thoughts on what this rain will do to the bass fishin tomorrow morning at blue grass?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine you would do quite well. I got out earlier today and had the best day of my life size wise. Ended up catching about a 7 pound bass and a 9 pounder within a 20 minute time frame around 7 pm. The fishing has been really slow during the day, so it is best to get out at sunrise or sunset. All the fish I caught today were on a jointed rapala

Post Thanks / Like

With clearing skys come the holiday crowds

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    Whats everyones thoughts on what this rain will do to the bass fishin tomorrow morning at blue grass?
    I'm thinking about going today but the crowding at Bluegrass South Ramp is putting me off. That place is taking a POUNDING almost every day and especially on the weekends. This being the 4th of July Holiday it will be even worse.

I went over there yesterday around 5:30 pm to release a raccoon that I had caught in a live animal trap and the place was packed. Everyone was parked the same way (parallel with each other all around the edge of the parking lot) and it was still hard to find a parking spot so I left after seen all the trucks and boat trailers.

I went to Otter Pit and there was this one guy parked out in the middle of the parking lot. Luckily most people don't know where Otter Pit is located or don't fish it for some reason. Hey, that's a good thing. Less fishing pressure is always a goo thing to me.

I would think that today it might be even more crowded. I'm going to be trolling with crank baits and it's hard to do when there is a bass boat parked on every point of the lake. All the good spots are being fished from daybreak to dark ever day all summer long. I see the same people fishing the lake almost every time I go over there.

A few years ago there may have been 5 trucks in the parking lot and now days there are at least 20 trucks and boat trailers in the South Parking Lot of Bluegrass Pit every Sat or Sunday. Even if it's raining the place will still have 10 boats there.

And Saturday all the other smaller pits were being fished as well. I saw at least 4 people fishing off the ramp at Loon's North Ramp. Not so many boat trailers at Loon. I wish that they would put in a concrete ramp at the Middle of Loon Pit where the road goes down to the big cove. But that's where IDNR parks all their equipment and they keep that road blocked off with a locked gate.

Perhaps when they finish the new ramp at the North End of Blue Grass Pit and enlarge that parking lot things will get easier. At least to find a parking spot. Fishing may get harder with even more boats on the water.

When I first started bass fishing on KY lake with my dad we could go out on KY lake in the middle of the week and hardly see any other boats all day long. If you pulled into a cove back in those days (1960's) and there was a boat you would not even fish that cove and just move onto the next cover to fish. That was how it was done back then.

When I first went to Patoka Lake I noticed that there ware two or three boats in every cove on the lake. I didn't much like that lake at first. But fish Patoka on a week day and it's a totally different lake. I'm so glad that I'm retired and can fish during the week.

BTW: I got the side planer boards figured out now. My first trip out I had the screw holding the tattle flag on too tight and the flag was not moving down properly. Now that I loosened the screw up the flag moves more smoothly and it should alert me if I get a fish or a weed on my crank bait. I've been know to drag a big weed on the crank bait all over the lake without knowing it was on the bait. One doesn't' catch many fish with a long weed hanging on the treble hooks.