Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat lighting requirements

I am posting this in the Kentucky area and I am only interested in KY. enforcement policies. Other than the Ohio river which I won't be on if there are bodies of water where different rules might be in effect I would love to hear about those also.

I have read the KY regs. I am including it in this post, I got confused with the stern and masthead parts, the 360 degree light. The white lights are sold in heights from 0 to 48", some are 360 some are rear facing only.

I feel pretty sure that what I am reading for boats under 39' is that 3 lights are all that is required and the bow light can be one of those combo guys, so two units can get the job done. The stern light just has to be higher than the bow lights and 360 degree one can serve a dual purpose as the stern and masthead. That stern light may be mounted on either corner of the transom???

Section 2. Lighting Equipment. (1) Between actual sunset and sunrise:

(a) Power driven boats less than sixty-five and six-tenths (65.6) feet in length whether operating or adrift, including sailboats operating under engine power, shall have:

1. Red and green sidelights. The red and green sidelights shall:

a. Have a red light indicating the port, or left side of the boat, and a green light indicating the starboard, or right side of the boat;

b. Be visible to another boat approaching from the side or head on;

c. Be visible from at least one (1) mile on a clear, dark night if the boat is less than thirty-nine and four tenths (39.4) feet in length; and

2. Either:

a. An all-around white light which shall be higher than the sidelights; or

b.(i) A white masthead light that shines forward; and

(ii) A white stern light visible from the rear of the boat.

(b) An operator of a manually-powered vessel or sailboat less than twenty-two (22) feet, nine (9) inches in length shall:

1. Carry aboard and have immediately available for use a white light of sufficient intensity to illuminate the vessel and its occupants; and

2. Display the white light in time to prevent a collision from an approaching vessel.

(c) A person operating or responsible for a vessel anchored in a normal navigation channel or passageway shall display a white light visible in a 360 degree arc.

(2) Combination or separate red and green lights shall:

(a) Have an arc of visibility extending from dead ahead to 112.5 degrees on either side of the vessel;

(b) Show the red light on the port side, and the green light on the starboard side, of the vessel; and

(c) Be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile on a dark night with clear atmosphere.

(3) White lights required by this section shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles on a dark night with clear atmosphere.

(4) On a vessel under way between sunset and sunrise, an operator shall not display other lights which could be mistaken for the lights specified in this section.

Source: 301 KAR 6:020. Boating safety equipment.

What did I miss or mis-read?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the little dual light (red/green) at the bow and one of the taller type that is white on the stern that is all you need. I have also seen the white stern light that is mounted on the motor cowling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    If you have the little dual light (red/green) at the bow and one of the taller type that is white on the stern that is all you need. I have also seen the white stern light that is mounted on the motor cowling.
    That is correct .... but, you must have a stern/transom mounted light that is taller than the outboard motor ... in order for it to be visible 360deg.

You're also required to leave the (white) stern light burning, even while fishing, after dark.

Further reading on this same subject : http://www.fishin.com/forums2/kentuc...e-fishing.html

And another "law" that you need to consider : It's illegal to constantly run a spotlight on the front of your boat, at night !! (prior discussion/opinions on that .... http://www.fishin.com/forums2/kentuc...hts-boats.html )

..... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    That is correct .... but, you must have a stern/transom mounted light that is taller than the outboard motor ... in order for it to be visible 360deg.

..... pappy
    Just taller than the motor? No requirement (unwritten) that allows a ticket for the occupants bodies blocking the view of the light?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
    Just taller than the motor? No requirement (unwritten) that allows a ticket for the occupants bodies blocking the view of the light?
    Not that I'm aware of, brother !! (& yeah, it would HAVE to be taller than the motor to be visible in a 360deg arc)

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like
    Just get a really tall one, that way it will be easy to see and you wont have to worry about bugs as much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    Just get a really tall one, that way it will be easy to see and you wont have to worry about bugs as much?
    I agree. My light pole is 54"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    I agree. My light pole is 54"

Since when did we start discussing the length of our pole???

(I know I know, but I had to )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    Since when did we start discussing the length of our pole???

(I know I know, but I had to )
    Length and weight sounded like to me...