Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

High School Fishin

Hi everybody, i know i havent been on here in a while so i'll catch yall up on everything that has happened. so yet again i went and talked to the principal and athletic director about starting a bass fishing team for my school. they said "ok we will check into it" and that was the last i heard from them and before i knew it the school year was over. i was completely prepared! i had my little speech and everything. i included that we had about 10 people wanting to join, we had the boat, and we had the driver (my dad). but the athletic director interrupted me and said "oh well parents cant coach" which in my opinion is bull just sayin. cause theres this girl that plays basketball and her dad coaches her (he was there before his daughter was born... but still not fair) and i said to her "well you cant just let anybody drive a boat" and the look on her face was priceless! then she added how the coach would have to take a bunch of classes and so i was like "ok my dad can do that" but yet again she was throwing all sorts of questions at me, but i was fighting back! so she got off that subject and said "well you have to have a teacher" and i gave her my best "look at me now" look and said we already have one. so then the principal joined in and said "well its already too late in the year to get one started" so i went away that day heartbroken that i didnt get a bass fishing team started... but guess what?!? we got a new athletic director! so this year i am determined!! they aint gettin off that easy this year i promise!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Young miss katie....you keep that attitude and you will go very far in life. Good luck with your quest for a school fishing team. Just a thought, have you considered going to a higher authority ? Maybe a state representative , just to ask the question " why are we being denied access to an activity other schools already have in place?".,Heads up though, have youre ducks in a row before you start a skirmish, make you and your cause look like a no-brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can side step the teacher/ coach thing by having enough college credits to qualify to be a substitute teacher. Get on list then pass when called in, works for our softball coach and it changes county to county

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is the athletic director involved? Fishing is not an athletic sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bass fishing is a KSAA sanctioned high school sport. That is why she must get the must get the school involved. Yes your dad can be a boat driver. I helped drive some kids from a competitive school here in Louisville. Stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to get the phone number of the new director and call them. Introduce your self and go from there. Don't wait till school starts. Keep at it and maybe even get the numbers of some of the other fishing "coaches" in the state and have them call and help explain everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    You go, girl !! Best of luck in your quest, my friend !!

And remember ... even if it doesn't happen while you are still in (your) High School, you've broken the ground & planted a seed for future "Katies" that may want to take up the mantle & continue the fight. Keep up the good work ... proud of you !!

... pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the fight!

Forget the stubborn teachers in your school and speak with your districts board of education and set up a meeting with your superintendent. Bring a excellent presentation to the table and show that you are passionate about starting this team. If you have to, do what the other folks on here said and go to the state reps. Keep up the fight. Your desire, attitude and determination will take you far. hopefully someone will listen to you and realize what your trying to do is a awesome and worth the effort of putting together.Whether you succeed or fail what your doing is admirable. We're rooting for you Katie. Keep us updated on your situation. Best of luck to you

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

High School Fishing

Katie,

You need to contact Gerald Smith 502-303-7401 with Kentucky Bass Federation he is our Youth Director. He will go to your School and meet with the appropriate people. He used to be the Athletic Director at one of the Louisville High Schools so he knows his way around the system. He is involved with the Ky Jr Bassmasters which is open to all youths male or female in Kentucky between the ages of 11 - 18 as well as with the Kentucky High School Athletic Association to promote High School Bass Fishing as a sport. I attended a meeting he held at Barren County High School prior to the school starting their Bass Fishing Program. The Head Coach is not a member of the faculty he is an avid fisherman in the area as well as the President of the KBF. Several of the boat captains are either parents or volunteers. I know because I am one of the volunteers and I have no ties to that school. I have included his email address below along with a link to the KBF and SAF web sites. Gerald is a real nice guy and is wanting to help anyone interested in this program it is really growing.

Gerald Smith Email - Youth@KYBassFed.com
    KBF Kentucky Bass Federation web site - Kentucky Bass Federation » Youth - Conservation - Fishing
    SAF Student Angler Federation web site - Student Angler Federation High School Fishing

Thanks,
    Tom Whittington
    Secretary / Treasure
    Kentucky Bass Federation