Search Fishin.com

Thread: Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice?

I have been a avid bass fisherman for the last 5 years just this year I have started tournament fishing in a club , me and my partner won our first tourney back in April and the next we had bigfish then after that we have been struggling we are having really hard times getting bites and even harder times catching a limit I just fished my first night tournament last night and I caught one keeper the other 9 boats all had a limit or close to it I'm pretty sure I have everything those guys are using so I would like to ask anybody on here to share one of their secrets with me I'm not asking for your best but I'm at the point of fixn to get rid of everything I got and try some other hobby I'm pretty sure that what we have been getting beat by are tubes jigs and shaky heads witch we threw all that last night I have all colors and sizes but still can't get a bite . I would not expect anybody to post there secret out for everyone so I'm up for pms. Thanks for your time

Post Thanks / Like
    That is why I don't fish tournaments. I fish for the enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like
    its sometimes not what your using, but 'where' youre using it. think outside the box and try new stuff. consistently winning tourneys is not easy with only 5 yrs under your belt. thats about where im at and im lucky to win 2 or 3 a year. if something doesnt work, dont keep doing it just cause it worked yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Tubes

I fish them deep. Sometimes I have the boat sitting in 60 to 80 feet of water & quarter casting hitting ledges in 40 or so feet of water on bluff walls. I always use magnum flipping tubes at night & texas rig them with a 3/8 oz. weight on 20Lb. Pline on a 7'6" heavy action flipping stick & dye the tail chartreuse & always put a bass pro shops magnum tube rattle inside them at night. I lift while quivering them until I start the drop then let if fall to bottom. Wait a couple seconds & repeat. Some nights if they're sitting on deep humps a lift around 6 to 12 inches two to three times then letting it sit suits them better & when you pick up they are there. Just feels spongy & Smallmoutth do this a lot. I either use green pumpkin or junebug colored tubes at night & have never saw a reason to use any other colorfor myself . These colors have always worked for me on Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Herrington & Green. Bright moonlight is junebug time for me. Some use green pumpkin & dye the tail orange to mimic the avacodo color that lots of folks use on full moon nights. I'm a tube fanatic & would rather fish them then anything if they're getting bit as it is my absolute strongest suit. If they're on a really good tube bite I usually have no problem catching from 1 to 3 limits myself. If they're not getting bit I'm trying jigs, baby brush hogs, 10" worms or slow rolling 3/4 Oz. spinner baits deep. If not getting bit on any of these I've had the lick. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I fish them deep. Sometimes I have the boat sitting in 60 to 80 feet of water & quarter casting hitting ledges in 40 or so feet of water. I texas rig them with a 3/8 oz. weight on 20Lb. Pline on a 7'6" heavy action flipping stick & dye the tail chartreuse & always put a bass pro shops magnum tube rattle inside them at night. I lift while quivering them until I start the drop then let if fall to bottom. Wait a couple seconds & repeat. Some nights if they're sitting on humps a lift around 6 to 12 inches two to three times then letting it sit suits them better & when you pick up they are there. Just feels spongy & Smallmoutth do this a lot. I either use green pumpkin or junebug colored tubes at night & have never saw a reason to use any other colorfor myself . These colors have always worked for me on Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Herrington & Green. Bright moonlight is junebug time for me. Some use green pumpkin & dye the tail orange to mimic the avacodo color that lots of folks use on full moon nights. I'm a tube fanatic & would rather fish them then anything if they're getting bit as it is my absolute strongest suit. If they're on a really good tube bite I have no problem catching from 1 to 3 limits myself.
    X2 on everything les said , but add smoke/purple flake to the arsenal.