Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BPS baitcast reel issues

Hello,

I'm looking for a little advice on a problem that developed over the last few days. I went fishing this week with my BPS reel and half way through the thumb bar stuck down. Not allowing the reel to cast. I was disappointed in this because of how lightly the reel has been used. I'm in school and have been unable to fish as much as I like. It is just over 2 years old (out of warranty). But some of you on this fourm could put more cast on a reel in 3 weeks than what this reel has got in 2 years.

Anyways, the Bass pro where the reel was purchased (jeffersonville) was close to where I was going today so I stopped in assuming they could fix it. Now I was expecting to pay for the fix. However I was told unless the reel is in warranty they wont fix it. It appears that they have the parts and tools but wont touch it if your purchase was more than a year ago. I was then told my best option was to purchase a new one.

I guess it should be noted that this is a Johnny Morrison Sig reel costing well over $100 (I got as a gift). Not the best reel, but not the cheapest one either. And, being a college student buying a new reel is out of the question. I'd like to know what some of you guys think on my options (like reel repair shops). Currently, I have no urge to give BPS any more $.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I have issues with any of my bass pro stuff I own. I don't speak to the sales person, I make a call to the general manager of the store and they will take care of you 95% of the time. If the reel looks in near new condition I would tell them of the appearance and what model it is and ask if he will stand by his product and if not remind him that cabelas are always looking for future costumers and there money. It works for me when ever I have had issues with any of there products. Speak to the General Manager not the department Manager, and I bet they will help you out. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the feed back

Post Thanks / Like
    One of three things:
    1) Your grease could have gummed up (happens to reels without regular maintenance)
    2) Could be broken spring
    3) Some times the lever that the thumb bar is mounted on is made of plastic instead of metal and that plastic can wear enough to cause the thumb bar to bind and not work properly.

If you have problems trying things on your own, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. My website address is below with my rates.

Chris
    Reel Cleen--Reel & Rod Service
    Newkirk Custom Rods
    (270) 246-0203
    www.reelcleen.webs.com

Post Thanks / Like

if they sell it they should fix it too

Quote Originally Posted by bass2redfish View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for a little advice on a problem that developed over the last few days. I went fishing this week with my BPS reel and half way through the thumb bar stuck down. Not allowing the reel to cast. I was disappointed in this because of how lightly the reel has been used. I'm in school and have been unable to fish as much as I like. It is just over 2 years old (out of warranty). But some of you on this fourm could put more cast on a reel in 3 weeks than what this reel has got in 2 years.

Anyways, the Bass pro where the reel was purchased (jeffersonville) was close to where I was going today so I stopped in assuming they could fix it. Now I was expecting to pay for the fix. However I was told unless the reel is in warranty they wont fix it. It appears that they have the parts and tools but wont touch it if your purchase was more than a year ago. I was then told my best option was to purchase a new one.

I guess it should be noted that this is a Johnny Morrison Sig reel costing well over $100 (I got as a gift). Not the best reel, but not the cheapest one either. And, being a college student buying a new reel is out of the question. I'd like to know what some of you guys think on my options (like reel repair shops). Currently, I have no urge to give BPS any more $.
    Here is my take in this. Any company that sells these reels should be able to fix them whether they are in warranty or out of warranty. But they should be able to charge a reasonable price for any that's out of warranty.

If I bought something and it broke and was told that they refuse to fix it and my best option would be to buy a new one I'd tell them to go jump in the lake. That' bogus man.

I also would do what you did and tell the world and then let them know about the bad publicity.

I had the choice today as to weather to order something from BPS, Cabelas or Gander Mountain. Since BPS and Gander Mountain both have stores in IN I chose to order from Cabelas. Also Cabelas had the item that I wanted and it was about 100 dollars cheaper than the other two stores. It was on sale at Cabelas.

Shame on BPS and thanks for telling us about this reel. I've been wanting to know more about the new types of reels out on the market. We need more posts like yours reviewing fishing equipment in these forums. I always try to read the reviews on the different fishing stores and then make a determination on which product will be best for me.

People need to do more posts on the products that they buy and use and tell the rest of us how well they work and hold up. That would benefit everyone here in the long run.

PS: after reading all the other post I have to agree with the guy who suggested you talk to the store manager and not a salesman. The Manager will be more willing to work with you and he's in a better position to make things happen for you. Great advise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately we live in a throwaway society where products are not designed and manufactured to stand the test of time. Home appliances, tools, vehicles and boats are all now purposefully built to have a short life span of a few years and then to be thrown away and replaced with more cheap throaway products. Things are no longer built to easily be repaired they are only built to be repaired during a very short warranty period and then junked.
    And i would imagine the sales person you were dealing with is partial to this new way of thinking.
    A couple years ago i was invited to a shooting club that had two seperate refridgerators with the old style double action clamp down handles on the doors. The inside of these refridgerators were lined with the aluminum walls that resembled a hammered spinnerbait blade. One of the older members said he can remember when they purchased the two refridgerators in 1957 the same year his father bought his first new car a 1957 chevy. The year was 2010 and those two refridgerators were still humming along as good as the day they were purchased in 1957.
    And what about the old ABU Baitcasters with the lifetime warranties...those days are long gone never to be again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The older I get, the less value becomes of a "Lifetime warranty". But a 30-60-90 day warranty on a product is worthless. They are just saying, "Hope it doesn't break before you get it to your vehicle and then home." Yes, I'm tight,cheap,frugal, whatever one might wish to say, but I still want value for my hard earned dollar and the dang thing better not just go kapoof through no fault of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

BPS Reels Warranty

Is 1 year just like most things are nowadays. You could have sent it to BPS reel repair & payed them to fix it with the new part/parts that have gone bad as it is out of warranty. Some evidently think that a 1 year warranty somehow means a life time which it doesn't. As far as reels go I have 3 EXTREMES that I had rebuilt last year by the local reel repair guy that are 2000 models. Took him awhile to find the parts because of their age though. I've striper, catfish & bass fished with each very hard & had never cleaned them so I sure can't complain about these reels for sure. Sorry for your bad luck, but you definitley talked to someone that needed customer service skills training. I myself however wouldn't have traded it for another with it being out of warranty, but would have made arrangements if possible to have it repaired on your dime because it was out of warranty. Not holding up for BPS at all, but seems as some think that simply because it is a huge & very wealthy company that they should have just given you another reel no questions asked & in my opinion that is definitley wrong. Now if there had been a known issue with this particular series of reel I would have tried to talk to someone higher up to try to get it replaced or atleast repaired at no cost to you with new upgraded parts. Research it & see if this was a known issue with these reels & go from there. I know people that use the Johnny Morris series reels & really like them & they hold up well for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be the first to make a suggestion to you and please take heed on this. I understand this was a gift to you but from now on when buying something like a fishing pole, reel, trolling motor, or depth finder, you need to spend the extra 10 bucks on the extended warranty deal. If you don't, you'll regret not buying the extended warranty because it protects your purchase at a relatively cheap rate. NEVER buy a fishing pole or fishing reel without purchasing the extended warranty...I know, I've only had to return about four poles in the last few years due to a number of issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Let me be the first to make a suggestion to you and please take heed on this. I understand this was a gift to you but from now on when buying something like a fishing pole, reel, trolling motor, or depth finder, you need to spend the extra 10 bucks on the extended warranty deal. If you don't, you'll regret not buying the extended warranty because it protects your purchase at a relatively cheap rate. NEVER buy a fishing pole or fishing reel without purchasing the extended warranty...I know, I've only had to return about four poles in the last few years due to a number of issues.
    BPS has good stuff and they have really CRAPPY stuff. Sometimes I get a fantastic reel from them. Other times the reels are hideous.

I purchased one a few years ago and it sounded like a coffee grinder. I took it to Canada with me and ended up taking it apart 2 times and greasing it in the field. When I got back I took both reels into BPS. One was a grinder the other was perfect. Both purchased the same day 1 month prior.

They replaced the bad reel on the spot.

Receipts are your friend. I had the levelwind break too after about 8 or 9 months. They replaced that too......

I'm seriously thinking about NOT buying from BPS and starting to buy from Cabelas because I think there name branded reels are actually built better.

Later,

Geo.

Post Thanks / Like
    My local baitshop guy is very good. You may have one near you that you could check into. If not, I'd be more than happy to get you the contact information to my guy and he would probably be okay with you mailing him the reel.

My only other thing, and this may not be a popular opinion here, but I never ever buy the signature series. The way I look at it, you're already paying for one brand name, no sense in paying for two. Most times there isn't much more difference than an actual signature on the reel. I know you said that it was a gift. I just felt like I needed to get that out there. Ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    BPS Pro Qualifier is their best reel for the money. 99 bucks. You won't be dissatisfied.