Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

fishing line floating

Taylorsville lake is the worse I`ve seen of this. I`ve had to replace all seals in lower unit that fishing line was in my lower unit, and my friend had to replace his whole lower unit for the same reason after fishing Taylorsville Lake.

One day we rescued a blue heron that was tangled up with line and couldn`t fly. Why can`t we all put our scrap line in a garbage bag in our boat and dispose of it in a can at the ramp parking lot instead of pitching it in the water? KB1.

Post Thanks / Like

fishing line trash

Wonderful that you helped the bird. Stray line is a killer problem to say the least. I got caught up in fishing line last year. I felt like a fly in a spider web.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was there today on kayaks and noticed alot more line on land than in the water. I just figured it was because the water was up. We caught 8 catfish btw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    I was there today on kayaks and noticed alot more line on land than in the water. I just figured it was because the water was up. We caught 8 catfish btw
    I hooked into about 20 yards of some type of braided line with a huge circle hook and a swim bait on it. I cut it up into smaller pieces with a pair of bandage Scissors and disposed of it in the trash can. People who throw line over into the water are trashing up our lakes. Now evidently this line was broken and lost so I can't blame the fisherman for that. Except one should check their fishing line frequently for weak spot and replace it when needed. He might have lost a good fish on that line. It was more like a SILK type line and it was holding a lot of water. I've not seen that type of line before. It was hard to cut with the scissors too. I had to hack though the line which I wind around my fingers to make it easier to cut up into smaller pieces. I cut though the loops of the line after I take it off my fingers.

The lake I fish a lot is only about 190 acres in size and there's usually 20 to 30 boat trailers in the South Parking Lot on Saturday and Sundays. Then there will be another 5 to 7 boat trailers at the North End of this Strip Pit where the IDNR built a new concrete ramp. They even enlarged the parking lot to hold more boat trailers.

So there is probably about 40 boats plus ten kayka on this lake on a nice weekend day.

Then there are the bank fisherman who hang around the launch ramps every day.

There is a lot of fishing going on at this lake and thus a lot of fishing line gets into the water and the shoreline.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had to replace the motor in my trolling motor before because of that. The old line became so entangled on the shaft that it cut into the seal and water ruined the entire armature.
    If I get caught up in any line now I take the time to get it out of the water and dispose of it properly or at the very least into a trash can.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that there are a lot of idiots that cut their line at the reel or end of the rod when they get hung up and can't pull free. And seeing as how most of the line I see is mono, they should at least break it off at the snag if they can't reach it. Also, it appears that most of the line I see is attached to a bobber/floater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    I believe that there are a lot of idiots that cut their line at the reel or end of the rod when they get hung up and can't pull free. And seeing as how most of the line I see is mono, they should at least break it off at the snag if they can't reach it. Also, it appears that most of the line I see is attached to a bobber/floater.
    i pick up free brand new bobbers all the time out where no bank fisherman could ever cast. are people THAT lazy they cant troll over and unhang their line instead of breaking off bobber and all and just leaving it to float?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    I think a lot of the line out there comes from spinning reels. Line tends to twist and tie itself in knots at the spinning reel or in the rod eyes. Of course the root of the problem is the idiot holding the rod that cuts the line and pitches it in the water instead of rolling it up and throwing it in a drybox.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
    i pick up free brand new bobbers all the time out where no bank fisherman could ever cast. are people THAT lazy they cant troll over and unhang their line instead of breaking off bobber and all and just leaving it to float?

I always pick up any bobbers and weights I find and use them too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I found at least 5 usable Bobbers while fishing there. Kept the 3 nice ones! A good trick to waste no line is take off the bobber and reel the line down to your hook then use the pole to push the hook off the snag! I try to pick up after the dummy's who throw there line out but you can't get it all