Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Small c-clamp in the piece of channel at the 150 ft mark and hook a bungee cord to it that it hooked to a 3 ft piece of rope tied to the boat. Never had a problem.

I think the 150 ft also applied to the lock wall too.

Post Thanks / Like
    In regards to Newburgh..i do the same as gtsc. Don't even mess with the river and trying to tie to wall when it is above 16-17 ft (really depends what gates they have open). I think outside of not using common sense some people don't check river levels and don't know what they are getting into. I check the levels daily, even if I am not planning on fishing, it is part of my routine. Also, know where the side discharges are, u most likely wont die if one opens underneath you, but it sure will scare the crap out of you and possibly get ya wet.

Post Thanks / Like

When you fish the Ohio River at Newburgh Dam

Quote Originally Posted by pintail311 View Post
    In regards to Newburgh..i do the same as gtsc. Don't even mess with the river and trying to tie to wall when it is above 16-17 ft (really depends what gates they have open). I think outside of not using common sense some people don't check river levels and don't know what they are getting into. I check the levels daily, even if I am not planning on fishing, it is part of my routine. Also, know where the side discharges are, u most likely wont die if one opens underneath you, but it sure will scare the crap out of you and possibly get ya wet.
    Where do you launch your boat from? Newburgh Ramp, Angle Mounds or Yankeetown ALCOA ramp?

I've looked at the Newburgh Launch Ramp and lower level and it's nasty. It's never cleaned right. There is always a layer of mud on the concrete and huge piles of mud that's been pushed around and loaded up on the rocks. Dust swirls around after the mud dries and the winds blow though the area.

Compared to the Evansville Dress Plaza the Newburgh Riverfront is nasty. Why can't Newburgh clean off their Lower River Plaza area and make it nice? They charge something like $5 to launch there so they should have some money to wash off the concrete with a fire truck pumper or something.

Maybe this year the Ohio River has been up and down too much for them to keep up with the cleaning process. I've not checked the Newburgh Launch area that much until this year. Perhaps in the past they did a better job. Note: I'm trying to give them the benfit of the doubt. But if this is the norm then they need to get on the ball and clean up that place better. IMHO. The river is full of sediment as anyone can tell after the river comes up and goes back down dumping all that sediment on the concrete in the form of a 4" thick layer of mud. Just think most of that mud came from some farmer's Till farm field due to erosion. And these days they plow more and more land and plow over the old fence rows and grassy areas to get more acres into production. America's best top soil is ending up in the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Where do you launch your boat from? Newburgh Ramp, Angle Mounds or Yankeetown ALCOA ramp?

I've looked at the Newburgh Launch Ramp and lower level and it's nasty. It's never cleaned right. There is always a layer of mud on the concrete and huge piles of mud that's been pushed around and loaded up on the rocks. Dust swirls around after the mud dries and the winds blow though the area.

Compared to the Evansville Dress Plaza the Newburgh Riverfront is nasty. Why can't Newburgh clean off their Lower River Plaza area and make it nice? They charge something like $5 to launch there so they should have some money to wash off the concrete with a fire truck pumper or something.

Maybe this year the Ohio River has been up and down too much for them to keep up with the cleaning process. I've not checked the Newburgh Launch area that much until this year. Perhaps in the past they did a better job. Note: I'm trying to give them the benfit of the doubt. But if this is the norm then they need to get on the ball and clean up that place better. IMHO. The river is full of sediment as anyone can tell after the river comes up and goes back down dumping all that sediment on the concrete in the form of a 4" thick layer of mud. Just think most of that mud came from some farmer's Till farm field due to erosion. And these days they plow more and more land and plow over the old fence rows and grassy areas to get more acres into production. America's best top soil is ending up in the Gulf of Mexico's dead zone.
    Unfortunately, they haven't done a good job of maintaining the ramp in the past 10 years that I regularly went down there. Hopefully they will change, but I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad I had the chance to fish the lock before they closed it to fishing by Cinci. I thought it was pretty ingenious to use old CB antenna magnets to hook onto the wall. Fishing was on fire in there last December.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need to remember bait before I get home from work for fishing the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgetting stuff when out in the field

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    I really need to remember bait before I get home from work for fishing the next day.
    Yea I hear you. I went to the shooting range the other day and forgot to take along the spotting scope and a stapler gun for mounting the target paper on the wooden back stop and target holders.

And I ended up on the 200 yard range and could not see the holes in the target. I ended up doing a lot of walking back and forth from the shooting bench to the target to see where my shot were hitting. I needed the exercise yes but I was kicking myself for forgetting the spotting scope. I had pins for the target paper so forgetting the stable gun was not a game ender.

Needless to say my feet and the back of my calves are a little sore this morning. But at least the planter factious tendons were not sore today like they have been in the past. I got some new foot inserts to help with that problem and they seem to be working and helping ease the pain in the bottom of my feet. It's hard to walk and lose weight when you feet are in pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont shoot that far 100 yds max for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Yea I hear you. I went to the shooting range the other day and forgot to take along the spotting scope and a stapler gun for mounting the target paper on the wooden back stop and target holders.

And I ended up on the 200 yard range and could not see the holes in the target. I ended up doing a lot of walking back and forth from the shooting bench to the target to see where my shot were hitting. I needed the exercise yes but I was kicking myself for forgetting the spotting scope. I had pins for the target paper so forgetting the stable gun was not a game ender.

Needless to say my feet and the back of my calves are a little sore this morning. But at least the planter factious tendons were not sore today like they have been in the past. I got some new foot inserts to help with that problem and they seem to be working and helping ease the pain in the bottom of my feet. It's hard to walk and lose weight when you feet are in pain.
    I've been going through that planter factious crap too, it hurts me the most in the morning when I first get up out of bed. The pain is concentrated to my heels and generally will get a little better as the day wears on. I first had this condition when I was very young playing little league baseball and now that I'm 38 years old and a bit over weight, it's quite trying at times.

Pulling up on your foot can help loosen and stretch out that muscle on the bottom of your foot, try doing that. If you're sitting down in a chair simply cock your foot up towards the sky, leaving the ball of your foot on the ground in the process. Doing this stretches out that muscle on the bottom of your foot.

Post Thanks / Like

They make a boot that you can wear at night

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I've been going through that planter factious crap too, it hurts me the most in the morning when I first get up out of bed. The pain is concentrated to my heels and generally will get a little better as the day wears on. I first had this condition when I was very young playing little league baseball and now that I'm 38 years old and a bit over weight, it's quite trying at times.

Pulling up on your foot can help loosen and stretch out that muscle on the bottom of your foot, try doing that. If you're sitting down in a chair simply cock your foot up towards the sky, leaving the ball of your foot on the ground in the process. Doing this stretches out that muscle on the bottom of your foot.
    They make a special boot or ankle brace that you can wear at night that's suppose to help with this foot problem.

I bought the shoe inserts at Walmart that are suppose to help with this foot problem. They seem to be helping as my plantar factious tendon is not as sore in the mornings. I'm dieting or trying to and have lost a few more pounds. Losing weight should take pressure off the feet.

I hurt mine back around 1997 when I was working construction and carrying two 5 gallon buckets of concrete down stairs into basements. Then I'd carry the same buckets back up the stairs filled with muddy dirt. We were digging trenchs around the inside perimeter of the basement and installing a drainage system then covering the trench with pea gravel and finally capping it of with a layer of fresh concrete. Some basements didn't have easy access as the clients made up go in and out of the basement though one of the **** basement windows. They blocked off the door to the stairway and put up plastic sheeting to keep the dust out of the house. We created a lot of dust when we were using a jack hammer to bust up the concrete before digging the trench.

Sorry to take this off subject so I'll get us back on track now.

I read a article in Outdoor Indiana Magazine which quoted Mike Kellner about fishing on the Ohio River for Sauger. He likes to fish out there on the River below the Newburgh, IN Dam. He has a Lund boat that he fishing out of. He said to be careful out there. That River can be dangerous especially this time of the year when the water's cold. But that's when the Fish are running in 12 to 30 ft of water. Mike said that the sauger are chasing gizzard shad in the Ohio River this time of the years. There was a couple from Newburgh and a few other people from this area that were mentioned in the article as well. One guy and his wife that fish out of the Newburgh Launch. And they mentioned two guys from Missouri that come here to fish for paddle fish. Evidently they can sell the paddle fish eggs for $300 to $400 bucks. The article said that the Fall of the Sovient Union lead to zero enforcement of the fishing regulations and the poachers wiped out their egg producing fish. So the market turned to the Ohio River for it's caviar. And Ohio and some other states don't allow you to catch paddle fish with gill nets like they can in IN. I think that they should make sure that our fishery doesnt' suffer the same fate as the Russian Rivers.

Mike also said that if you get caught keeping more sauger than the daily limit you can get fined $500 and then so much for each fish over the limit. You can only catch so many sauger in one day. And it's illegal to go out in the morning and catch your daily limit and take them back to the vehicle and hide them and then go back out again to catch another limit. So be ware if you are poaching.

As for hooking up to the wall, I not really sure where along the way you guys are talking about. I'm guessing that there is metal supports along the side of the concrete walls? How do you keep out of the way of barges that are locking though the dam gates? If you are tied up to the wall are you not right in the way of a big boat locking though the locks?

The guy who's in charge of the Ohio River Fishing for IN DNR had his boat swamped by a barge one time. Now he won't go out on the Ohio River unless he is in a boat big enough to be a coast guard cutter. LOL. He's smart IMHO. I don't feel safe on the Ohio River at times in my little 16 ft boat. It's not really a River Boat. I found that out the very first time I ever took my boat out for a ride. I launched at Dress Plaza on cool day and the water sprayed up over the front of my boat getting me soaking wet. That was when I hit the very first wave in my brand new boat. It was thin that I figured out that a john boat with a flat front is not made to take on waves and the Ohio River. We had to slow way down to keep from getting soaked that day and it's been like that in my boat every since. It does great on calm water but if there are any big waves it's another story. I should have got a "V"bottom with a V front on my boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    the side that they are talking about hooking up to the barges cand and dont lock through. they come through the opposite side of the wall they are hooking up to. so where they are they are safe from the barges but definitly not from the dangers of the water. it takes alot of patience to navigate on the ohio river. cant wait to get after the sauger

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Water Levels often high during winter?

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    the side that they are talking about hooking up to the barges cand and dont lock through. they come through the opposite side of the wall they are hooking up to. so where they are they are safe from the barges but definitly not from the dangers of the water. it takes alot of patience to navigate on the ohio river. cant wait to get after the sauger

Have fun out there. I think I'm going to stay home where it's nice and warm.