Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock wall

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Lock wall

Question I've thought about for a while. How do people hook themselves to the lock wall at newburgh? I see them doing it sauger fishing. I'd never do it, but I wonder how they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Question I've thought about for a while. How do people hook themselves to the lock wall at newburgh? I see them doing it sauger fishing. I'd never do it, but I wonder how they do.
    The way I have saw people tie off is with magnets and a short rope.
    Simply attach magnet to beam in wall use one in front one in back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fishing with my father-in-law below John T Meyers dam he would use rubber bungee cords - find a good crack in lockwall and jam s hook into it , front and back . Homemade boat bumpers protected the boat . Caught a 68lb blue 2nd time I fished with him doing this .

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess when you do this the Corp doesn't say anything or try to run you out of the area? Today with all the talk of terrorists I'm surprise that the corp allows any boats to be that close to the dam or the locks. Remember the USS Cole?

A neighbor of mine stopped me the other day and we talked for a good while about fishing. He likes to fish the river for big cat fish. I've never really fished the Ohio River much at all. My boat's not that big and when the River is up there is no way in Hell you would get me out on that river in my little 16 ft boat. Now if I had a bigger boat I would be more inclined to fish the river. But I'm not going near the dam.

The hydrolytic affect are very powerful and can swamp even a bigger boat easily.

I guess that the area you guys are talking about is pretty calm this time of the year if the river is down to summer pool. I do realize that the big cats can stack up in the slack water below the dams.

But I'm not really into catching big cat fish. Although I've read about it in some fishing magazines and it looks like it might be fun. I was reading one of the latest issues of In-Fisherman Magazine and it had some ideas about terminal tackle to use for catfish. But I gave that copy to my next door neighbor. He's thinking about taking his little son fishing and I gave it to him for some ideas on fishing tackle. They won't be fishing the River but may fish the bank of a lake in the near future.

I'm not so sure about fishing in the Ohio River myself. Any catfish that I'd catch I'd never eat.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Fishing with my father-in-law below John T Meyers dam he would use rubber bungee cords - find a good crack in lockwall and jam s hook into it , front and back . Homemade boat bumpers protected the boat . Caught a 68lb blue 2nd time I fished with him doing this .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hooking to the lock wall just seems like a bad idea. Always wondered how, won't ever do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    We fished out of a 17' alum boat that would take the abuse and catfishing boats aint pretty anyway . Didnt get right up on the gate , you hook into the long lock wall about 50yds down . Only did that during calm weather and stable river levels . He would also anchor with a homemade danforth type system that would hold pretty good . Lots of guys just run up to the gates one man runs motor other guy casts or jigs while drifting back . Caught a lot of big stripers , whites , and sauger doing that . Bring lots and lots of heavy jigging spoons { cotton cordell makes good ones } and heavy test line . Expect to get snagged . The Army Corp has signs posted telling you how far to stay away from gates . Dams are always dangerous so make sure boat and motor are in top shape . Personally Id rather catch a big old 6 plus smallie than any catfish anyway !

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Meldahl Dam lock wall...

Up here above Cincinnat at Meldahl dam, we used to be able to fish the lock walls and we would use magnets to keep us on the wall. We catch hybrids, smallmouth, crappie, walleye, sauger, drum, cats and whiteys. However, because of an older man and his pontoon boat being anchored and not being able to release when an approaching barge came into the lock there was an accident. Since then, no one is allowed to be in the lock area and the approach area either. This is about a 1/3 mile from the dam and below it. If you try to approach this area the Lockmaster calls out on speaker phone to leave and if you don't you will get a ticket in the mail or police will come. This negligence has cost alot of good fishing to dissipate from this area. They have really cramped the fishing up here. Not sure what the law is down there, but I would definitely obey the signage/buoys etc.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like
    Would never fish in front of the lock , we always fished on the other side in front of #1 gate . This was also 10 years ago , havent been dam fishing since . Over the last 30 years I had 2 people I worked with drown below Newburgh dam , one was in a boat at night and we never found him , the other was fishing the last gate on the KY side from bank for sauger like a lot of people do . They walk out on dam wall and cast from a concrete pad next to the last gate The guy was a ex navy seal and they did find him down past Angel Mounds . Its really slick over there and guys fish in Feb so waters really cold . Tried it once never again . Number 1 rule - respect the Ohio or it will kill you .

Post Thanks / Like

Post Respect the River Always

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanic1 View Post
    Would never fish in front of the lock , we always fished on the other side in front of #1 gate . This was also 10 years ago , havent been dam fishing since . Over the last 30 years I had 2 people I worked with drown below Newburgh dam , one was in a boat at night and we never found him , the other was fishing the last gate on the KY side from bank for sauger like a lot of people do . They walk out on dam wall and cast from a concrete pad next to the last gate The guy was a ex navy seal and they did find him down past Angel Mounds . Its really slick over there and guys fish in Feb so waters really cold . Tried it once never again . Number 1 rule - respect the Ohio or it will kill you .

I have to agree with you 100% on this last sentence. I've seen the results of what happens when you fail to respect the river.

That river current and the cold water of the river in the winter months is nothing to mess with. Which is why I don't get on the river much these days. Now when I was in my 20's I took a lot more chances with my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    You better know how to tie knots and be handy with rope...I'm a knot master and would be hesitant to fish right against a lock wall unless there were good eye bolts or hooks to tie off to. Tying off with bungee cords between cracks in the wall is unsafe practice.

When tying off to a decent eye bolt or hook in that situation you need to use either a bowline or a round turn and two half hitches. I would also carry a quality knife to cut the rope in a serious situation, a knife that would cut it cleanly and quickly. If you're on the river fishing or boating all of the time, I highly recommend that you buy a book on knots and learn at least 25 basic knots as it will make or possibly save your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would I ever need to know 25 knots on my boat?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should know a list of knots if you're routinely on the river or out camping around the water. Maybe twenty five is a bit much but here's a list you should absolutely know.

Bowline
    Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
    Two Half Hitches
    Rolling Hitch
    Cleat Hitch
    Double Sheetbend
    Trucker's Hitch

That's just a VERY basic set of knots that I could teach you in an hour, of course it would take longer for you to memorize and learn when to actually use them. The Trucker's Hitch is how I tie my boat to my trailer...I don't need straps, everything on my boat is three strand nylon rope...which is actually what has always been used in boating/fishing.

On another note, all of my hooks are Snelled the old school way...best knot in the world for tying on a hook to main line or leader line. Sorry to turn this into a knot thread but I'm simply amazed at how many people claim to be outdoorsmen and know virtually zero about knots.