Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Newburgh Ramp is a mess after the floods receed

Any one else think that the town of Newburgh could do a better job of cleaning off the mud at the launch ramp and parking lot? I went down there to look around and they had used a bulldozer to clean off the majority of the mud so you could drive though the lower plaza but there was still lots of mud covering the rip rap area and still about an 1/2 of caked on mud all over the area where they had cleared the pavement with the dozer.

Why can't they use the Fire Dept and hose off the mud with a fire truck to make it as clean as the Evansville Dress Plaza is after the waters go back down?

Who takes care of the Angle Mounds and the Dog Town ramps? Are they as muddy as Newburghs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Any one else think that the town of Newburgh could do a better job of cleaning off the mud at the launch ramp and parking lot? I went down there to look around and they had used a bulldozer to clean off the majority of the mud so you could drive though the lower plaza but there was still lots of mud covering the rip rap area and still about an 1/2 of caked on mud all over the area where they had cleared the pavement with the dozer.

Why can't they use the Fire Dept and hose off the mud with a fire truck to make it as clean as the Evansville Dress Plaza is after the waters go back down?

Who takes care of the Angle Mounds and the Dog Town ramps? Are they as muddy as Newburghs?
    It has been like this for about the last 8 years at least. I don't know how many times I have driven down there only to get stuck in 2 wheel drive. That is why I don't launch there.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you replied

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    It has been like this for about the last 8 years at least. I don't know how many times I have driven down there only to get stuck in 2 wheel drive. That is why I don't launch there.
    I'm glad you spoke up too. I won't pay to launch there due to the muddy conditions. I feel if they have the nerve to charge money to launch a boat that they should at least keep the place cleaner. I've never launch there in my own boat. I went on the river with a friend and I think we launched from Newburgh that day. I'd rather launch at the Yankeetown ALCOA ramp than at Newburgh.

I think I'll stick to Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area, Patoka Lake and Kentucky Lake for my boating.

I would think that the leaders of Newburgh would be embarrassed at the conditions of their town's launch ramp. I'm surprise that they would run such a shoddy launch ramp.

This year they didn't even take in the dock before the river rose and almost lost the ramp or dock to the rising flood waters. I think I saw a picture of the ramp out in the river. That picture ran in the Evansville News Paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it is a complete embarrassment for the town of Newburgh. Granted, its location right down from the dam does make it a much more difficult ramp with the sediment, but I would still expect more from Newburgh, especially with the amount of people that frequent the area. If I want to fish the area, I would rather launch (like you said) up river and lock through, or just go to Angel Mounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thing you didn't go fishing there this morning. River was at 12.8 with hardly any current. Fishing was terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Justin do you fisn the river a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Good thing you didn't go fishing there this morning. River was at 12.8 with hardly any current. Fishing was terrible.
    Good to see you posting in here again. We need more people posting in here IMHO. I'm trying to keep the post up but it's hard to do all by myself. LOL

I'm thinking about starting to fish for catfish and the Ohio River would be a good place to fish. I met one of my new neighbors last week and he's been fishing the Ohio For catfish for years. I might take him out in my boat to do some catfishing someday in the future. I did buy some circle hooks for catfishing and I have a In-Fisherman Magazine that has a good article on how to rig up for catfishing in the River. I've not done this before and am clueless to the type of gear I might need to catch some of the bigger cats out of the river. All my stuff is geared towards crappie and maybe lm bass. But I do have some really heavy reels and rods with rollers for line guides on the rod. Those should be able to handle a shark. LOL MY dad bought them years ago and we never really put them to good uses. They are about 1/2" in diameter at the tip and only about 5 ft long. And the reels are deep sea fishing type reels with lead core fishing line on them. That should catch some big fish. Unless the line is so old that it's needs to be replaces. It's about 30 years old now. But lead should last a long long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Catfishing is way to boring for me. I will a couple rimes a year but thats it. I'm mostly out there for stripers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Catfishing is way to boring for me. I will a couple rimes a year but thats it. I'm mostly out there for stripers.
    yea but when you see a picture of that 94 pounder caught below Cannelton Dam you start to think to yourself, "man, that looks like fun!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Im am or was an avid catfisherman on the ohio but the last cpl years have been a joke i know too many ppl that used to fish the ohio and pros i might add to sport of catfishing from ky that no longer fish the ohio cause of commercial fisherman taking thousands of pounds of trophy cats and selling them too pay lakes. I wouldnt waste your time Moveon on fishing for cats. Jmho here

Post Thanks / Like

What about fishing Bluegrass at night for cats?

Quote Originally Posted by fishassasin View Post
    Im am or was an avid catfisherman on the ohio but the last cpl years have been a joke i know too many ppl that used to fish the ohio and pros i might add to sport of catfishing from ky that no longer fish the ohio cause of commercial fisherman taking thousands of pounds of trophy cats and selling them too pay lakes. I wouldnt waste your time Moveon on fishing for cats. Jmho here
    I was just thinking about sitting by a camp fire along the shoreline or a propane lantern and spending a few hours at night fishing the old fashion way. Throwing out some worms or chicken liver and waiting for the catfish to bite. I'll put a bell on the rod tip of something to let me know I've got a bite and then read a book while I wait. LOL

If I can only stay up past 9 pm. I'm normally hitting the sack by 8:30 these days.

A few years ago I took my boat out to Bluegrass Pit and tried some night fishing with underwater lights for crappie. I didn't catch a single crappie but did notice a lot of gizzard shad circling my underwater light. The shad are attracted to the light. I also hung a propane lantern off the side of the boat but man the bugs got really thick when I turned the white lantern light on.

The underwater light is weighted so I can sink it down to about 2 or 3 or 5 ft and the light works off a car battery. 12 V DC. And the lenses are green so as not to attract too many bugs.

It gets foggy at night and it's hard to see where you are going even with a spot light. That's where the Garmin GPS comes in handy. Now if I only could learn how to use the routing and the back tracking features on my newer Garmin Montana. The Manual *****.

PS: Way off topic but I have to say this right now. Don't buy a spring loaded Gamo Air Rifle or a Gamo Rifle Scope. They **** too. I'll post another thread on this in the hunting forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Good to see you posting in here again. We need more people posting in here IMHO. I'm trying to keep the post up but it's hard to do all by myself. LOL
    I have definitely noticed the post rate here.

I too will try more, especially if I have something Indiana fishing related.

Unfortunately, I don't fish in Indiana too much anymore........

Later,

Geo