Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cuda 300 epth finder

Hey Gang -

My Cuda 300 ...is showing 60ft deep all the time ! and the menu for the options comes on all time when you first start up the unit.I have it mounted on the trolling motor

Well i noticed a nick in the cable and I can see bare wires , could this be the culprit ? Also can i cut the transducer cable and fix the broked wire with crimp connectiors ? It still shows the water temp but it doesn't show A pic of the bottom and the depth is wrong....of course stuck on 60fT ...I have power cycled the unit several times but no help ...Now one thing i did do today i never do ....I turned it on to ck connection and I left it on for the drive to the boat ramp ...wonder if this factored in to it being stuck on 60ft

Post Thanks / Like
    forgot to give a report on todays outing ...Fished the upper pool , went to my fall smallmouth hole and just got 1 very little smallmouth bass and he jumped off at the boat.

One weird thing was there was a bunch of coast guard boats out there today ,,, especially around Jeff boat ...makes me wonder if they were monitoring Jeff boat for extra security ?? Especially after all the recent terror threats

Post Thanks / Like
    You will have to buy a new transducer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before buying a new transducer you might be able to plug your unit into one on another boat...if you know someone else with the same unit.
    As for travelling with the unit mounted on the boat, I read somewhere that you should remove before doing so. I have had my fish/depth finder since 1996 and never any trouble with it. I always remove it before towing boat to and from the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    If u got bare wires you will waste ur time testing it. If its just the outer insulation peeled back u can fix with copious amounts of black tape. But if u see copper replace it. It shouldn't matter how you travel with it

Post Thanks / Like
    You can repair the cable here is how to do it from Lowrance of course they recommend replacing but if you have to.
    I have spliced them before and had no problem but I did solder and heat shrink similar to how Lowrance says to do it. You can damage the transducer by leaving it on and not in water but I have done it many times and never damaged it. It was stuck on a certain depth but powering it off then back on did reset it.
    Cut the cable in a location that will place the splice in a protected area in the vessel. It should not be exposed to rain or spray, nor be allowed to lay in the Bilge or other area which will allow it to be submerged in water. If using a “heat shrink” insulating material, for either the center conductor connection, shield connection, overall splice, or all of the above, place over the cut ends now.Carefully strip approximately 1” of the outer insulation or jacket from the ends to be spliced. Unwrap the shield and twist it as shown below. Strip approximately 3/8” of the inner insulation (center conductor) from each end to be spliced. Twist the center conductors of the two ends together, then solder the connection. Use special care to allow full flow of solder without damaging or melting the insulator around the center conductors. This can result in a shorted connection and damage to the sounder. Wrap the solder joint in good quality electrical tape or heat shrink as appropriate. Twist the shield wires together and solder this connection. Wrap a small piece of Aluminum Foil over the entire splice. Make certain the foil makes a good contact with the shield wires to prevent, reduce, or eliminate electrical noise or interference. Finally wrap the entire splice with electrical tape or use the Heat shrink material previously installed to completely seal and insulate the splice connection. The transducer is now ready to use. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us. Lowrance Customer Service 12000 E. Skelly Dr. Tulsa, OK 74128 Customer Service: 1-800-324-1356

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINHALL View Post
    You can repair the cable here is how to do it from Lowrance of course they recommend replacing but if you have to.
    I have spliced them before and had no problem but I did solder and heat shrink similar to how Lowrance says to do it. You can damage the transducer by leaving it on and not in water but I have done it many times and never damaged it. It was stuck on a certain depth but powering it off then back on did reset it.
    Cut the cable in a location that will place the splice in a protected area in the vessel. It should not be exposed to rain or spray, nor be allowed to lay in the Bilge or other area which will allow it to be submerged in water. If using a “heat shrink” insulating material, for either the center conductor connection, shield connection, overall splice, or all of the above, place over the cut ends now.Carefully strip approximately 1” of the outer insulation or jacket from the ends to be spliced. Unwrap the shield and twist it as shown below. Strip approximately 3/8” of the inner insulation (center conductor) from each end to be spliced. Twist the center conductors of the two ends together, then solder the connection. Use special care to allow full flow of solder without damaging or melting the insulator around the center conductors. This can result in a shorted connection and damage to the sounder. Wrap the solder joint in good quality electrical tape or heat shrink as appropriate. Twist the shield wires together and solder this connection. Wrap a small piece of Aluminum Foil over the entire splice. Make certain the foil makes a good contact with the shield wires to prevent, reduce, or eliminate electrical noise or interference. Finally wrap the entire splice with electrical tape or use the Heat shrink material previously installed to completely seal and insulate the splice connection. The transducer is now ready to use. If we can be of any further assistance please contact us. Lowrance Customer Service 12000 E. Skelly Dr. Tulsa, OK 74128 Customer Service: 1-800-324-1356

Thanks Man