Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka Asian Carp?

I fished a night tournament last night on Patoka. In the grass beds across from the marina at Newton Stewart, I had to raise my trolling motor up to get off a grass bed. As the blade was running at the surface, about 50+ 6" fish starting jumping out of the water in all directions. I did it a few more times and the same thing happened. They sure looked like small Asian carp to me.

As anyone heard of them making their way into Patoka? I am pretty sure thats what they were....I fish Patoka allot and I have never seen that happen before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post
    I fished a night tournament last night on Patoka. In the grass beds across from the marina at Newton Stewart, I had to raise my trolling motor up to get off a grass bed. As the blade was running at the surface, about 50+ 6" fish starting jumping out of the water in all directions. I did it a few more times and the same thing happened. They sure looked like small Asian carp to me.

As anyone heard of them making their way into Patoka? I am pretty sure thats what they were....I fish Patoka allot and I have never seen that happen before.
    Hopefully, you only spooked up some gizzard shad. I sure HOPE they are not Asian Carp, as that would really destroy Patoka.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my God if they are Exotics!!!!!

I sure hope they were gizzard shad and not the Asian carp. If the Asian Carp or Grass Carp are in Patoka God help us get rid of them.

I absolutey hate those things and the potential damage they can create in a body of water.

We have them down here in Bluegrass F& W big three pits and also in KY and Barkley Lake now. They are in the Ohio River which means they can travel up any creek to any body of water that's hydrologically connected to the Ohio River. That means that Hovey's lake is full of these exotic carp too.

We may all need to buy bows and fishing arrows and start shooting these things day and night to kill as many of them as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomdata View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Patoka has plenty of grass carp or common carp. They are both invasive. I think the biggest fear is now is transferring bait. Young Asian carp look almost identical to thread fin and gizzard shad.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Very good information Good point

Quote Originally Posted by toomanycasts View Post
    Patoka has plenty of grass carp or common carp. They are both invasive. I think the biggest fear is now is transferring bait. Young Asian carp look almost identical to thread fin and gizzard shad.
    You bring up an excellent point. The young Asian Carp look like some of our bait fish. So please never move any fish from one body of water to another. You could accidently help spread the Asian Carp to other waters. And we sure don't want that to happen. And it's illegal because of this fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just a matter of time before they are in patoka. I'd actually be shocked if they weren't already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you are wrong about that. Don't see it happening unless someone puts them there.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the last thing I need. Patoka is rough enough on me as is