Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wanting to get a kayak and need some help.

I am looking to get into kayak fishing and I am thinking about a Hobie. I was wondering if anybody has an extra kayak and wanted someone to go fishing with them one day. I am wanting to use one for a day and see if it is something that I will enjoy. I live in eastern Ky but I am willing to travel. Thanks in advance.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Nathan at Canoe Ky, he will point you in the right direction and put you in demo boats so you can see what works, what doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CATCHEMALL View Post
    I am looking to get into kayak fishing and I am thinking about a Hobie. I was wondering if anybody has an extra kayak and wanted someone to go fishing with them one day. I am wanting to use one for a day and see if it is something that I will enjoy. I live in eastern Ky but I am willing to travel. Thanks in advance.
    John
    Native Watercraft.......UltimateAngler. A little more spendy, but a pretty DANG good, rock solid fishing platform.

http://www.backcountry.com/native-wa...FbAWMgodxT0A5Q

I'm wanting one of those too......

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for more of a sit on top kind of kayak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at kayaks before I bought my future beach trophy 126 kayak. It's a sit in and I love it. I bought it at dicks and have had nothing bad to say about it. Even the price was reasonable ($360). If you really want a sit on I was looking at a lifetime tamarack fishing kayak. It seemed to be very roomy and comfy. I have never seen or heard anything about them, other than on the Internet. Hope this helps ,drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you intend to fish the yak, river or lake? Deep water, or shallow? Those hobies are pretty cool with the peddle drive, but would be a pain in shallow water. I have an ocean kayak caper that I've used for a few years now. Mostly fishing rivers and small lakes, but have also had it out on the ocean. 11 foot yak with plenty of room to store stuff and easy to modify. Also pretty light (45 pounds unloaded), so easy to through in the back of the truck and launch just about anywhere. Added some rod holders, a depth finder, and a small storage area to mine. Some of the places that I take this yak would not be easy to access with a hobie. Out on the ocean or fishing some bays, those hobies are much better cause you can peddle rather than paddle, so hands free fishing.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    I would probably be fishing some local ponds and maybe the river a little. I don't think it will be really shallow anywhere I fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. Sit on style and has decent storage and is comfortable. I did buy some extra padded seats and installed rod holders. Its self bailing so you won't sink if you get caught in the rain. They are not as stable as the Hobies but is easy to handle in the water and loading to the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont test drive a Hobie, before you know it youll be spending $4k rigging out a Pro Angler 14!

I should know, the Hobie bug bit me hard 18 months ago and Ive bought SEVEN since then, have four now, three outbacks and a PA14. I love my Hobies. The run fine in about 12-14" of water and if gets shallower then that you can "flutter" the fins with short strokes or just paddle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFT.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	6669