Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty Cool Fishing Story

Went fishing at a local lake yesterday with a buddy and I was using jigs along some riprap with moderate success. I had just switched over to my spinning rod and was using a 3/16oz jig with some Fireline and noticed a small loop in my line on my spool and commented how that loop has to go but will have to stay because its to tight and I'm not spending time trying to undo a tight knot (didn't have any reading glasses with me anyway) so I kept fishing. After a couple of casts I set the hook and "pop" my line breaks . The fish jumps trying to toss my jig and I laugh at how I just said how I should get rid of that loop anyway I tie on another jig and start fishing down the riprap.

Maybe 3 casts into it i realize my broken off line is riding on my jig as i am pulling it out of the water and said man wouldn't it be funny if that bass was still on it?!?! I start pulling it out of the water and sure enough I feel his weight and he fights a little as I pull him in. It's only 12" but it was cool to experience hand lining him in, getting my jig back and getting about 30ft of braid out of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

cool story

years ago I was cat fishin the ohio river, casted out, set the pole down to cast another, as soon as I set it down, A cat pulled it Right into the water, gone!! 2 days later fishing the same bank, my brother caught a fishing line, pulled it in, it was mine, got the pole back, the reel was wasted, next thing you know the fish was still hooked and started pulling, walked up the bank and pulled a little 3 pound cat in!! I will never set down a loaded fishing pole without it being secure ever again!

Post Thanks / Like
    COOL

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    My son was prefishing for a tournament on the ky river caught a barely keeper about 8 miles from the ramp. The fish had swallowed the shakeyhead so he cuts it off at the eye. Fast foward to that Sat tournament pitches a shakey head to the same spot and catches the same fish with the shakeyhead jig still there. Told him he might need to play the lottery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool indeed..

Post Thanks / Like
    That's cool, it's always fun when you beat the odds.
    With groupers and red snapper they will feed over and over after taking your bait or busting you off. I have been busted off many times over in a row by a fish only to finally get him in with a mouth full of jewelry. Its amazing that they will fight hard enough to break off 80 or 100lb test leader then hammer it again as soon as you re-tie and send another bait down. 3 out of 5 big groupers have jewelry in their mouth when you bring them up, they have all played the game before. I always remove it though before sending them back.
    Like astrobass I too have donated a few loaded rods, it can sometimes be an expensive lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    One day at Cumberland APB and I were casting a long tapered point for Smallmouth with topwaters. Andrew throws a long cast and comes across the point and I say oh your gonna get bit on that one. Those words had just cleared my mouth and Boom one hits and he sets the hook and the line breaks on the hook set. We both hated it because it was one of his sweet home made walking baits.
    Then it starts jumping and trying to toss the bait and I watch closely and on about the third maybe fourth try I see something sling free. Yep we went over there and had to do a little searching in the slight chop on the surface and there she lays, bait recovered.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    One day at Cumberland APB and I were casting a long tapered point for Smallmouth with topwaters. Andrew throws a long cast and comes across the point and I say oh your gonna get bit on that one. Those words had just cleared my mouth and Boom one hits and he sets the hook and the line breaks on the hook set. We both hated it because it was one of his sweet home made walking baits.
    Then it starts jumping and trying to toss the bait and I watch closely and on about the third maybe fourth try I see something sling free. Yep we went over there and had to do a little searching in the slight chop on the surface and there she lays, bait recovered.....
    Similar thing happened to us....I was fishing at Sebastian Inlet in Florida and the Bluefish were schooling like crazy. I mean big roaming dark schools of Blues. I was using a chartruese topwater chugger made of wood and it was getting slammed! That is some of the best topwater fishing ever!!! One would hit it, miss it and another would slam it while it sat there. Well I finally lost it while fighting a blue and watched for it to come up but it never did. Many hours later after the slack tide and with the new outgoing tide moving good we go back to the same area to intercept these blues again and there was my chugger floating around. The water had penetrated into the wood and split the sides a little since the teeth of those blues had tore the finish up.....but it still floated. I always look for crankbaits that come off as well since they float.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Similar thing happened to us....I was fishing at Sebastian Inlet in Florida and the Bluefish were schooling like crazy. I mean big roaming dark schools of Blues. I was using a chartruese topwater chugger made of wood and it was getting slammed! That is some of the best topwater fishing ever!!! One would hit it, miss it and another would slam it while it sat there. Well I finally lost it while fighting a blue and watched for it to come up but it never did. Many hours later after the slack tide and with the new outgoing tide moving good we go back to the same area to intercept these blues again and there was my chugger floating around. The water had penetrated into the wood and split the sides a little since the teeth of those blues had tore the finish up.....but it still floated. I always look for crankbaits that come off as well since they float.
    Very cool....

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stories...if I could type faster I'd be all over this one LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Few years ago fishing a tournament i take a bite on a plastic worm, reel down and set the hook and my line breaks, bad spot in my line. Before i can set down to retie my friend throws in behind me and sets the hook. A 2 1/2lb bass comes jumping out of the water and spits his bait. He reels in and sure enough he has my hook and worm hanging off of his jig. He somehow managed to get his hook between my hook and worm in the fishes mouth and pulled it out. So much for the people who say a fish wont bite again for awhile