Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Falls

Good Friday everyone. I went over to the Falls of the Ohio for the first time last Sunday. It was a beautiful day and it was pretty busy down there. We just hung around the rock shelf under the museum and didn't really have any luck. A couple guys next to us pulled up some drums and catfish, but my son and I were blanked. And quite honestly, I am not sure how to fish down there. Any recommendations? Bottom fishing with worms? Where to bank fish down there? I did just replace my old rod and reel with a new Pfleuger combo from Cabela's and I am looking forward to heading over to the Falls again this saturday morning. Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am not targeting anything in particular, just want to get down there and find some good spots to have some luck. Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you fishing for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Really whatever we can find. I almost always take night crawlers with me, wherever I fish. And I have or could buy any recommended lures. But I will catch drum, cats, stripers, whatever we can find. My main problem is know where to set up down there. I know it would be easier if I had a boat, but I have to settle for the bank. I think this weekend we might start closer to the dam and the train bridge, just to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maximarx View Post
    Really whatever we can find. I almost always take night crawlers with me, wherever I fish. And I have or could buy any recommended lures. But I will catch drum, cats, stripers, whatever we can find. My main problem is know where to set up down there. I know it would be easier if I had a boat, but I have to settle for the bank. I think this weekend we might start closer to the dam and the train bridge, just to check it out.
    Use gold bladed rooster tails. Also use curly tail grubs. Take a half ounce weight a 2 to 5ot circle hook and put chicken liver on it and catch some little cats. If you want big cats catch skipjack with the rooster tails and then get a bigger hook and wieght and throw it out but be prepared to tie on alot of hooks and wieghts you get stuck up bottom fishing down there. And for cats walk down the fossil beds to the right to where it starts to bend and it drops off there and nice cats there and when it's choppy just go for stripper but when the rivers lower go for cats. Call this number 502-775-5056 for the water levels of the Ohio fishing is best when the river is 18ft or below and not muddy and murky. Listen for the lower gauge levels because that's where you are fishing. Any more questions shoot me a pm. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I almost went down there today...soon...I will go soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. New hooks, gold rooster tails, some new slip sinkers, and even got a bag of those baby shad at Walmart, just cause it seemed interesting. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    We rode down there tonight and it was pretty packed with fisherman. I saw people right up under the train bridge fishing and saw them down underneath of the interpretive center. I counted probably ten people or more with fishing poles so the fish must be biting. Lots of fossil beds exposed, we haven't had much rain.

I'm seriously thinking about going down there tomorrow night to catch some skipjack or other bait fish. Me and a buddy are going Thursday and Friday in the river, taking my boat out. I'd like to put in down in Old Clarksville, anyone put in down there? Any pointers on where to catch some catfish this time of year in a boat down that way? I'm definitely going to have some cut up bluegill for that trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    We rode down there tonight and it was pretty packed with fisherman. I saw people right up under the train bridge fishing and saw them down underneath of the interpretive center. I counted probably ten people or more with fishing poles so the fish must be biting. Lots of fossil beds exposed, we haven't had much rain.

I'm seriously thinking about going down there tomorrow night to catch some skipjack or other bait fish. Me and a buddy are going Thursday and Friday in the river, taking my boat out. I'd like to put in down in Old Clarksville, anyone put in down there? Any pointers on where to catch some catfish this time of year in a boat down that way? I'm definitely going to have some cut up bluegill for that trip.
    The deep hole at the turn past crappie rock

Post Thanks / Like
    The deep hole at the turn past crappie rock? Can I fish it from the bank or is it a by boat deal only? I'm scared to take my boat up into that area because of the fossils beds/rocks and I don't know the channel or underwater structures to be remotely safe.

I was actually thinking about putting in down in Old Clarksville and then heading down towards New Albany a bit...my buddy's going with me and he used to fish down there in the 70's and 80's and he claims to know a few spots, we'll see.

I'm thinking about going tonight and sitting down at the fossil beds for a while, need baitfish though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post

I was actually thinking about putting in down in Old Clarksville and then heading down towards New Albany a bit...my buddy's going with me and he used to fish down there in the 70's and 80's and he claims to know a few spots, we'll see.

DON'T DO THAT!!! About 300 yards downstream from the Clarksville ramp is all kinds of rock and ledges on the Indiana side of Sand Island. It is not a safe passage.

The lower level is always changing in depth. One can naviagte a shoal at 14 feet but be grounded when the level is 12.4. It's tricky, so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    No luck today. Tons of dead fish on the fossil beds. Lost a lot of lures and hooks. But, we had fun. And I think it's going to be a learning process for me. Used some gold rooster tails, lost them all. Going to get some chicken liver next time. And get some more spinners I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maximarx View Post
    No luck today. Tons of dead fish on the fossil beds. Lost a lot of lures and hooks. But, we had fun. And I think it's going to be a learning process for me. Used some gold rooster tails, lost them all. Going to get some chicken liver next time. And get some more spinners I guess.

Wow...pictures please! were you able to recycle any of the lures and hooks you found? I always try to pick up trash,and recycle the fishing stuff i find...

I guess it is better to go during the week, not the weekend...avoid the the rush?