Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Falls at low water.

When they drop the bottom out of it like that, and fish get trapped on the fossil beds, that is a FANTASTIC time to catch fish.

I used to walk around and walk way out where you could find rushing water by one of those trapped pools. Those fish, when you find whites and hybrids in them are ANGRY and hungry. I've literally caught hundreds at that time.

A GREAT way to hit those is in a canoe or kayak. Put in at the intepretive center and paddle to the rushing water. NOT the crazy rushing water from the gates, but water coming over the exposed rocks and stuff that you can see. OBVIOUSLY be careful.....that goes without saying, and wear your vest. BUT man oh man, that can be good.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Round 3

Heading back down again in the morning. Taking chicken liver this time, circle hooks, new spinners, and some night crawlers. Hopefully we finally have some luck and a good day. Either way, it's good to be down at the river with my son.
    Side note, any suggestions and/or prices for cast nets? Considering buying one sometime. Not sure what to look for in a decent one. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maximarx View Post
    Heading back down again in the morning. Taking chicken liver this time, circle hooks, new spinners, and some night crawlers. Hopefully we finally have some luck and a good day. Either way, it's good to be down at the river with my son.
    Side note, any suggestions and/or prices for cast nets? Considering buying one sometime. Not sure what to look for in a decent one. Thanks guys.
    You can buy a decent one for about 30-40 bucks at walmart. I dont know about the quality of the net but I would say it would work fine. I bought one from bass pro for about 50 bucks and ive had it for years. Of course you occasionally will have to patch it with fishing line because you will get it hung up sooner or later. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 3 and a half foot at Walmart for $32 I think. It works great. I would make sure to wash it out as good as you can after using it. Great way to get free bait!

Post Thanks / Like

Cast nets

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1233 View Post
    I bought a 3 and a half foot at Walmart for $32 I think. It works great. I would make sure to wash it out as good as you can after using it. Great way to get free bait!
    Hay did you know it's illegal to use a cast net below Dan d n r . Got some body to day .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmooneye View Post
    Hay did you know it's illegal to use a cast net below Dan d n r . Got some body to day .
    I think you have to use it a certain distance from the actual dam. Might be 300 yards idk. I mainly use mine in floods fork and local ponds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a few days to get back here. But anyway, it was another disappointing day there this past Saturday. I try not to get too discouraged, it was a pretty hot weekend. So hopefully as I get accustomed to the river I will start catching some fish. We saw them jumping all along the fossil beds along the main channel, no bites though. Maybe a cooler day will provide some more luck. My son and I have enjoyed going down there though. Might take my 3 year old to Floyd's tomorrow just to tear up the bluegill and maybe catch some of the bass I've heard everyone talking about. Take care guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now if anyone fishes the upper dam with it being closed,unless your fishing for buffalo,carp,or drum it's going to be tough.That said if it stayes closed you can sometimes find crappie around submerged structure and ledges up there.I would try to find any moving water I could or deeper holes down stream.The hydro's and lower dam can be productive this time of year if conditions are right...Hope this helps Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me a few days to get back here. But anyway, it was another disappointing day there this past Saturday. I try not to get too discouraged, it was a pretty hot weekend. So hopefully as I get accustomed to the river I will start catching some fish. We saw them jumping all along the fossil beds along the main channel, no bites though. Maybe a cooler day will provide some more luck. My son and I have enjoyed going down there though. Might take my 3 year old to Floyd's tomorrow just to tear up the bluegill and maybe catch some of the bass I've heard everyone talking about. Take care guys.
    Check your pm box

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Right now if anyone fishes the upper dam with it being closed,unless your fishing for buffalo,carp,or drum it's going to be tough.That said if it stayes closed you can sometimes find crappie around submerged structure and ledges up there.I would try to find any moving water I could or deeper holes down stream.The hydro's and lower dam can be productive this time of year if conditions are right...Hope this helps Chuck
    It was tough yesterday for Knute(The Heathen) and I at the lower dam area. We drifted in the area of the bear claws in 35 feet of water and caught just two cats. I was using live shad and Knute was using chicken liver. He's the one that caught the fish. I was blanked.

We waited till sundown and saw just a few bait fish at the surface but no hits on our flukes from any whites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    It was tough yesterday for Knute(The Heathen) and I at the lower dam area. We drifted in the area of the bear claws in 35 feet of water and caught just two cats. I was using live shad and Knute was using chicken liver. He's the one that caught the fish. I was blanked.

We waited till sundown and saw just a few bait fish at the surface but no hits on our flukes from any whites.
    Tyme I got off to a late start Fri. spent two hours getting bait and ended up with just one cat in the 20# range....slow. Probably headin down stream if I get the chance to fish this Fri. Well after I check for hybrid of coarse lol. Chuck