Search Fishin.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE

I got an email back from my state rep. Rick Rand. He says there is a bill addressing limits on big catfish but can't get enough votes to get it passed. Everyone one needs to email or call there state reps. and tell all your friends to do the same. The commercial fisherman are fighting hard I am sure to keep things the same. I even just watched Ky Afield and they had a segment with a guy taking orders for catfish about 15lbs. and caught a bunch. Something has to be done but only we cat fisherman can stick together and fight to get it done. Commercial fisherman have lobbyist fighting for them in Frankfort and we have no one at the time. Call and email everyone you can think of in state government, this is the only way I know might work. I even invited Mr. Rand to attend the meeting November 1st and everyone should ask there reps. to attend the meeting also. It is a shame that this has to get political but it is the only way because we have no money or one fighting for us. Any other ideas I will be glad to help any way I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    When this thread first started it sounded like it was about individual illegally selling fish. I am all for figuring out and supporting the best ways to prevent that, and even think it sounds reasonable that maybe some tighter restriction might be needed. However somewhere throughout this thread it seems to have instead now shifted towards legal commercial fisherman and without more facts I am not so sure I would support regulations that could possibly result in hard working individuals losing their livelihoods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I am not so sure I would support regulations that could possibly result in hard working individuals losing their livelihoods.
    sorry, but this is an immoral way to make a living, and how do you know how hard it is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    sorry, but this is an immoral way to make a living, and how do you know how hard it is?
    That may be, but I generally don't judge someone as immoral and support regulations which could hurt their livelihood without a lot of evidence and facts, that's my only point.

As far as how hard they work, my only clue is from seeing them on KY Afield, and IMO they worked hard, but I admit I don't know first hand, maybe it is an easy way to make a living and it just looked like hard work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    That may be, but I generally don't judge someone as immoral and support regulations which could hurt their livelihood without a lot of evidence and facts, that's my only point.

As far as how hard they work, my only clue is from seeing them on KY Afield, and IMO they worked hard, but I admit I don't know first hand, maybe it is an easy way to make a living and it just looked like hard work.
    I've seen that vid, the hardest or least enjoyable part of that job is mending their gill nets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry if a person might have to throw back some fish that are over the size limit, but they can still fish. Nobody is saying shut down commercial fishing. That being said commercial fisherman might have to change some things they fish for. I had to do different work when the place I worked closed. They can still fish but with different regulations. Commercial fishing takes a good number of potential trophy catfish out of the water as I saw this weekend on Ky Afield. The rules have to be for everyone not just a few for it to work. I think there are plenty of other fish for the commercial fisherman to fish for. If this was bass or crappie we were talking about I'm sure more people would be wanting tougher rules to protect them. Things must change or there ain't going to be any big cats for any of us to catch. That is just the way life is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    Seriously?Didnt Jesus perform Gods miracle and fill the fishermans nets?Who made you the moral caretaker of the river?Gimmie a break.
    I talked with several fisherman and they've been selling their catches to paylakes. One guy said he caught 40 fish the other day with one being a monster blue that was over 50 pounds. He acted like he sold them all to a paylake owner. This could be a very big problem if left unchecked.

Another person I talked with later on in the day said there's a big flathead hole down around the bridges and they caught thirty out of there recently and sold them. This is a problem folks because the money being paid out is pretty good money according to what they told me. He said one of the flatheads was 52lbs and another one was 35lbs. Crazy stuff indeed.
    UNQUOTE
    While im sure commercial fisherman sell to pay lakes ,i'm highly skeptical of this free for all down there.If you want to be lied to then go to a marina or boat ramp and start askin questions about the fishin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I to got a return e-mail from Rand about my sent e-mail with a bunch of blah blah blah, it made my head hurt just reading it............Sigh

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 3 to 5 HUNDRED Pay lakes in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana Area. all wanting the same thing,Big Catfish Now you see the Problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbak View Post
    There are 3 to 5 HUNDRED Pay lakes in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana Area. all wanting the same thing,Big Catfish Now you see the Problem
    Wow, I had no idea there were that many paylakes in the Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana region. Three to five hundred paylakes?? I could see 100-150 various paylakes but had no idea it was that many. I would bet most of these pay lakes will buy big catfish from **** near anyone as long as the fish are in good shape upon purchase. I'm sure the pay lake owners could care less if you're a licensed commercial fisherman or just a regular joe, big catfish are big catfish no matter who's bringing them into the lakes.

Certainly sheds light on the situation if there are truly that many pay lakes demanding big cats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Wow, I had no idea there were that many paylakes in the Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana region. Three to five hundred paylakes?? I could see 100-150 various paylakes but had no idea it was that many. I would bet most of these pay lakes will buy big catfish from **** near anyone as long as the fish are in good shape upon purchase. I'm sure the pay lake owners could care less if you're a licensed commercial fisherman or just a regular joe, big catfish are big catfish no matter who's bringing them into the lakes.

Certainly sheds light on the situation if there are truly that many pay lakes demanding big cats.

Seems like the perfect situation for some Fish and Wildlife undercover work. If need be, I can pose as an old,fat, catfisherman wanting to sell my catch!!

Post Thanks / Like

KDFWR Catfish Regulations Meeting details

Catfish anglers are concerned about the number of trophy fish in the Ohio River. Many in the pay lake industry have added a trophy fish component to their fishing opportunities which has increased the value of large fish. Consequently, the likelihood of increased harvest of trophy catfish for pay lakes coupled with decreases in trophy catfish weighed in at tournaments have compelled anglers to request size restrictions on trophy catfish harvest. The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources has routinely sampled the Ohio River to monitor the catfish populations, but during the past year, the Department increased its sampling effort and solicited data from other states and universities to gather enough information to be able to confidently assess blue, channel and flathead catfish populations in the river. The Department is holding a public meeting at 2:00 PM on Saturday, October 26, 2013, at the University of Kentucky Research and Education Center in Princeton, Kentucky. We will discuss the status of trophy catfish in the Ohio River and potential regulations that may be proposed to enhance the trophy catfish numbers in the river and statewide. This meeting will begin with a presentation describing catfish data collected over the past several years with a special emphasis on this past year’s increased effort. Following the presentation, a survey that will be distributed so that all participants are assured their opinions are recorded. Finally, there will be an open-discussion period to allow participants (who wish) to speak publically on the issues. Everyone with an interest in Kentucky’s trophy catfish are invited to attend this meeting.

The address to the Research Center is:
    University of Kentucky Research and Education Center
    1205 Hopkinsville St, Princeton, KY 42445

Ron Brooks
    Fisheries Division Director
    Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601