Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dix River!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dix River!!

I now live in the Wilmore area and I heard there were trout in Dix River. Is there access to wade or shore fish in any part of it? Also are there any other good spots with shore access to check out around Wilmore on the Ky River?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCatfisher View Post
    I now live in the Wilmore area and I heard there were trout in Dix River. Is there access to wade or shore fish in any part of it? Also are there any other good spots with shore access to check out around Wilmore on the Ky River?
    Not easy to wade or shore fish.

Most take a canoe or Yak up from the KY river. It is GREAT for trout once you hit the "cool" water. Before that, you can catch whites, smallies, spots and largemouth bass.

Also, I believe the river is marked NO ORGANIC bait..........but I could be wrong.

Have Fun.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    The post above is right. You will need a boat to get to the cold water and that depends upon how much water is coming through the dam as to the mixing point in the river. No live bait is allowed from the falls (Landreth Landing) up river to the dam. There is a sign but it is hard to see when the leaves are on the trees. The river is hit and miss as to fishing. It just depends upon if KU is running the river. When they run the river, all fish go out of the river except a few trout. Most of the large trout leave the river and go into the KY river when they run the river.