Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dam release: How do they decide?

I didn't want to hijack the thread from jfw about dead Asian Carp. How does the Corp decide how much dam and which dam to release water?

I've never understood why they'd have 16 feet coming out of the lower and have the upper completely shut down. Makes no sense to me but I don't know what parameters they use. I'd think they'd keep at least some flow coming from the upper to eliminate the upper from becoming all scummy and nasty up there. Guess that's not their concern.

I am aware that the primary goals are shipping and flood control and fishing is not even a concern.

Anybody have any insight on the decision making process on how much and which dam they have open?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no insight, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night so I will venture a guess. They probably know by sections that if the water level is X and they let go Y amount of water how it likely effects the water levels down river, and maybe if they would too often attempted a constant flow from both sections it would become less accurate to predict the effects on the levels down river and it might too easily get out of control. But again pure speculation on my part.

Post Thanks / Like

call me

Hey Tyme call me my new cell number is 502.836.0283 i will tell you where to get the Hybrids....I am at our camp at Nolin right now ...Fished off the shore today w/minnows as I heard the crappie were on ,did not get the first one over 9inches ,so none to keep .They gotta be 9 in @ Nolin

Post Thanks / Like
    Long-term decisions of where to manage the lake level are based on water level controls across the seasons. Let it get high over winter when it is wetter and let it drop over summer to keep the rivers flowing even when there isn't much rain.

Short-term decisions about how much to release and at what time on a given day are based on water levels and electric power needs. If the lake is higher than they want it to be for that time of year, they will release more. If it's lower than they want it to be for that time of the year, they will release less. If it's summer, they will release what they have allocated for that day in the afternoon/evening when power demands are highest. If it's winter, they will release in the morning because power demands are highest then.

Yes, they also consider impacts on both the fishery and recreational uses of the reservoirs and rivers, but it's primarily based on flood control and power generation needs.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dever1911, thank you for you reply. However, it does not answer my question regarding the two dams (upper and lower) at McAlpine on the Ohio river that are close to each other.

I'm still wondering why they'll release 20 feet from the lower and have the upper shut off. Why not 10 and 10 or something along those lines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops. My bad. I didn't see that you were talking about the river dams. I shoulda read more carefully. Fish on!

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess:

1) Shipping- the upper needs to be maintained for the boat traffic coming out of the locks
    2) Fossil beds at the museum- I've heard June 1 is the target date to get the upper closed ever year so all the kids, school groups, church groups.....etc that visit the museum have the chance to walk out on the fossil beds.
    This year obviously there has been to much water.
    3) Electric demand and need for water at the plant
    4) I would venture to guess they open the upper to help keep debris away from the hydro plant when it gets up high

5) Is there ever any logic down there??

Post Thanks / Like
    I read they are always aiming for twelve feet on The upper at mcalpine. If its any above that they're going to release more water. I do know even a little over twelve feet on the upper gauge puts a little current in the lower section of the pool. I'm sure what Markland is doing has an effect also.

Post Thanks / Like
    1) Shipping- the upper needs to be maintained for the boat traffic coming out of the locks. That, I understand as to how much total dam is being released or kept.

2) Fossil beds at the museum- I've heard June 1 is the target date to get the upper closed ever year so all the kids, school groups, church groups.....etc that visit the museum have the chance to walk out on the fossil beds.
    Plausible, but if they can or will do that "for the kids" some sauger fisherman could also use the help in the winter months!!

3) Electric demand and need for water Again, that has to do with total flow and release.

4) I would venture to guess they open the upper to help keep debris away from the hydro plant when it gets up high Plausible, good guess too.

5) Is there ever any logic down there?? . Not that I'm aware of!! Best guess you had

Post Thanks / Like
    From my understanding they really couldn't give two sh**s about the fishing in the river. Fisherman14 told me about all of the dead fish on the river and how there was no water flowing. My first thought was no oxygen in the water. I'm thinking they control the flow because of traffic (barges) energy and the drinking water. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    My guess:

1) Shipping- the upper needs to be maintained for the boat traffic coming out of the locks
    This year obviously there has been to much water.
    3) Electric demand and need for water at the plant
    4) I would venture to guess they open the upper to help keep debris away from the hydro plant when it gets up high

5) Is there ever any logic down there??
    Bingo......Houston we have a winner!