Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dale 01-05 Jan.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale 01-05 Jan.

Made it down on the 1st to find the lake way up and littered with debris from some heavy winds the previous night. I didn’t fish for long as I wanted to get to the cabin to watch the UK bowl game. I caught 2 fish and hour apart from two separate areas.

I fished until 2pm on the 2nd and moved around quite a bit to catch 6 fish. 3 from 1 spot, 3 from a different spot each. I can’t say I really had a pattern going. And, having the lake at summer pool for a guy who only fishes Dale in the winter and doesn’t have the experience of being on the lake in the summer, threw me off a little. I threw a 14 ft leader and backed off normal spots. It seemed to work in some of my spots but not so much in others.

Several text messages with a certain man who is Certifiable Float and Flyable and I had a game plan for the next day. I caught my largest fish of the trip on my second cast of day 3 in a very specific area he suggested. Another fish from this area then I brought the hammer down so hard on a bluegill that I catapulted him to Celina proper. Headed to my second spot of day 3 and finally really got into them. Seven fish from one stretch, a back to back to back rally, and I felt dialed in. Up until that point it had been one fish here, one fish there. Maybe 2 fish at the most from one spot. I don’t know if this means the fish were scattered and not schooling or if they were holding deeper than the bobber rig reaches. So, it was nice to get into a mess of them in one area. Then it turned off and I moved around a bunch and caught a few more each from a different spot/area. Total for the day was 11 and I have to give a huge shout out to Woody for the tips and suggestions. I’ve said it here before but I go fish Dale each year at this time because of him. Not only because he’s showed me so much, but I feel it’s a way that he can be there without physically being able to be there. It’s an homage to him and his love for the FnF. From a hospital bed in Nashville, he put me on fish. Amazing.

Friday it rained a bunch then cleared up pretty nicely and the sun came out. I was soggy and tired and still fighting a raging cold so I didn’t stay out too long on Friday. The water was still on the rise and while it wasn’t as productive as the previous day I managed a four fish early from, again, four different spots.

Yesterday under blue skies and lots of sun I chased shade and caught 9 fish early then the FnF bite shut down for me by 11:00.

The water had risen consistently for the last few days and was up a bit more this morning when I pulled my boat out. Water temp was 49-50 everywhere I went mid-lake all week. There are some big widow makers floating around or partially submerged out there so please be safe.

Ps. Pics are on my GoPro which was jacking up on me all week. Once I get a chance to hook it up to the computer I’ll try to post some shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3 View Post
    Made it down on the 1st to find the lake way up and littered with debris from some heavy winds the previous night. I didn’t fish for long as I wanted to get to the cabin to watch the UK bowl game. I caught 2 fish and hour apart from two separate areas.

I fished until 2pm on the 2nd and moved around quite a bit to catch 6 fish. 3 from 1 spot, 3 from a different spot each. I can’t say I really had a pattern going. And, having the lake at summer pool for a guy who only fishes Dale in the winter and doesn’t have the experience of being on the lake in the summer, threw me off a little. I threw a 14 ft leader and backed off normal spots. It seemed to work in some of my spots but not so much in others.

Several text messages with a certain man who is Certifiable Float and Flyable and I had a game plan for the next day. I caught my largest fish of the trip on my second cast of day 3 in a very specific area he suggested. Another fish from this area then I brought the hammer down so hard on a bluegill that I catapulted him to Celina proper. Headed to my second spot of day 3 and finally really got into them. Seven fish from one stretch, a back to back to back rally, and I felt dialed in. Up until that point it had been one fish here, one fish there. Maybe 2 fish at the most from one spot. I don’t know if this means the fish were scattered and not schooling or if they were holding deeper than the bobber rig reaches. So, it was nice to get into a mess of them in one area. Then it turned off and I moved around a bunch and caught a few more each from a different spot/area. Total for the day was 11 and I have to give a huge shout out to Woody for the tips and suggestions. I’ve said it here before but I go fish Dale each year at this time because of him. Not only because he’s showed me so much, but I feel it’s a way that he can be there without physically being able to be there. It’s an homage to him and his love for the FnF. From a hospital bed in Nashville, he put me on fish. Amazing.

Friday it rained a bunch then cleared up pretty nicely and the sun came out. I was soggy and tired and still fighting a raging cold so I didn’t stay out too long on Friday. The water was still on the rise and while it wasn’t as productive as the previous day I managed a four fish early from, again, four different spots.

Yesterday under blue skies and lots of sun I chased shade and caught 9 fish early then the FnF bite shut down for me by 11:00.

The water had risen consistently for the last few days and was up a bit more this morning when I pulled my boat out. Water temp was 49-50 everywhere I went mid-lake all week. There are some big widow makers floating around or partially submerged out there so please be safe.

Ps. Pics are on my GoPro which was jacking up on me all week. Once I get a chance to hook it up to the computer I’ll try to post some shots.
    Excellent, Excellent report..........Glad you got on some......
    Likes rickhise liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dale 1-1-19

Launched from Wisdom about 8 am. Had a plan to focus on points near creek channels near bluff walls. My son caught one smallies about 17” at the first spot about 500 yds from launching. The creeks were muddy and debris floating everywhere. Just a short drive down the lake and it cleared up a bunch. We threw crankbaits and a-rigs most all day. Hooked 3 fish but got off. Threw keitech 3.8” with no luck. Wanted to try the float n fly but stuck with the game plan since I hooked a couple. First time to dale. Beautiful lake! Kept thinking Mr. Westmorland might have fished this very spot! Threw a lot of fresh water run ins as well. Listened to a great citrus Bowl win while on the water. Loaded up the boat and headed home at dusk.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This elevates "Woody" Elnutsmalljaw to DALE HOLLOW FNF HERO status in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    This elevates "Woody" Elnutsmalljaw to DALE HOLLOW FNF HERO status in my opinion.
    Here, here!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no where near close to a HERO

Sorry to disappoint but I'm no HERO by no stretch of the imagination. I just fished Dale Hollow thousands of hours and thought of fishing is millions of hours on top of that to where I have a pretty decent understanding of where the fish will be in December and January based on Lake Levels, time of year, water temp and weather forecast. Whether I have this info on the lake or laying in a hospital bed in Nashville TN, where I would fish and the type of structure I would fish is based on experience and time on the water.

I will say this is a perfect example as to why you should keep notes of your fishing trips, especially if you go the same general time each year. It doesn't take long to write down date, lake level, water temp, air temp, wind, water color and then results for the day, not necessary each individual fish, but more like specific spots or patterns that produced the best and patterns plus spots that did not produce at all. I'm a true believer in that fish use the same areas year after year after year especially the older they get. I compare fish to Humans. The older you get the more settled down you are. The same house, the same grocery store, same pharmacy, same gold course, same everything to keep your life as consistent as possible. Big fish do the same thing I believe. Which is why I have 100% confidence in that I could launch out of Holly Creek before first light in the morning, if I was able, and I would have an over in the boat within the first hour of being able to see the FNF bobber, even though I have only fished it 2 times in the past 10 years since winning The Billy Westmorland Tourney in 2009. I believe the same quality fish that I caught back then are still there waiting on me. I knew where I had caught fish when Dale Hollow was at summer pool the last time and that is where I sent Vaun to fish and he killed them. Use this as an example of the benefit of keeping notes on your trips and where they come in handy. It takes no time to do and pays off 10 fold in the future.

elnutsmalljaws ie… Certifyable FloatnFlyable
    Likes canepole, Bardcard, BRS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but I'm no HERO by no stretch of the imagination. I just fished Dale Hollow thousands of hours and thought of fishing is millions of hours on top of that to where I have a pretty decent understanding of where the fish will be in December and January based on Lake Levels, time of year, water temp and weather forecast. Whether I have this info on the lake or laying in a hospital bed in Nashville TN, where I would fish and the type of structure I would fish is based on experience and time on the water.

I will say this is a perfect example as to why you should keep notes of your fishing trips, especially if you go the same general time each year. It doesn't take long to write down date, lake level, water temp, air temp, wind, water color and then results for the day, not necessary each individual fish, but more like specific spots or patterns that produced the best and patterns plus spots that did not produce at all. I'm a true believer in that fish use the same areas year after year after year especially the older they get. I compare fish to Humans. The older you get the more settled down you are. The same house, the same grocery store, same pharmacy, same gold course, same everything to keep your life as consistent as possible. Big fish do the same thing I believe. Which is why I have 100% confidence in that I could launch out of Holly Creek before first light in the morning, if I was able, and I would have an over in the boat within the first hour of being able to see the FNF bobber, even though I have only fished it 2 times in the past 10 years since winning The Billy Westmorland Tourney in 2009. I believe the same quality fish that I caught back then are still there waiting on me. I knew where I had caught fish when Dale Hollow was at summer pool the last time and that is where I sent Vaun to fish and he killed them. Use this as an example of the benefit of keeping notes on your trips and where they come in handy. It takes no time to do and pays off 10 fold in the future.

elnutsmalljaws ie… Certifyable FloatnFlyable
    In my way of thinking you just proved your a hero and I agree to the Certifyable part also this is in part why you are a hero in my eyes you fished in health conditions that very few people would fish in let alone in the winter under some of the worst conditions and would start before the sun was up. Winning the Billy Westmoreland adds points to hero status but your great knowledge that you were always willing to share with us when you were a regular on here (some of which you just shared from your hospital bed) I have printed several of your post which I keep in my fishing notes to this day. It's great seeing your post today Get well my friend. A hero in my eyes
    Beep Beep

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate it Steve....

In my way of thinking you just proved your a hero and I agree to the Certifyable part also this is in part why you are a hero in my eyes you fished in health conditions that very few people would fish in let alone in the winter under some of the worst conditions and would start before the sun was up. Winning the Billy Westmoreland adds points to hero status but your great knowledge that you were always willing to share with us when you were a regular on here (some of which you just shared from your hospital bed) I have printed several of your post which I keep in my fishing notes to this day. It's great seeing your post today Get well my friend. A hero in my eyes
    Beep Beep
    I appreciate the kind words. I sent you my cell number thru a PM last week and even called you one day but got a recording. If you want to talk fishing life or whatever give me a call. Again thanks for the kind words. elnut