Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kdfw needs a trophy bass program

I'm very disappointed they did away with the trophy bass program they had but I understand the reasoning. But there's other options Florida has a great program I cashed in on a 10 lb bass in December and Texas is starting a similar program. Basically you weigh your fish take a picture of the scales and you get discounts, gift cards, and other prizes. If anyone knows a fish and wildlife employee or if you run into one push the idea of a program like this. They are complaint driven so if they enough feedback maybe something will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ky has a small angler award program where you get a certificate you print out yourself online once your catch is approved by length and the year following the catch they mail you a small hat pin. After catching three different species of trophy fish you get a master angler award pin [if anyone has a pic of a Ky master angler award pin I would love to see it. I have a 2017 trophy fish pin] Years ago Ky angler award program was bigger and they gave a nice wooden wall plaque for master angler award.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's something but it's nothing compared to what Florida and Texas have

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    It's something but it's nothing compared to what Florida and Texas have
    Neither are our bass.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We can still do something on lower tier for 7 or 8 lb largemouth and 5 or 6 lb smallies. I would say 8lb in spring and 7 in the fall and 6 lb smallies. Upper tier could be 9 or 10 and 7+ smallies.

It would just something cool even if it's just discounts and gift cards. And for real trophy bass fish of lifetime do a replica. Over 10lb largemouth and 7 or 8lb smallies.

Now granted they already mounted 2 for me so I'm not complaining but it would be cool to put your big bass every year in a database and see where big bass are being caught. And the little prizes are cool alot of people like getting them in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    What reason did KDFWR give for discontinuing the program? I've searched but can't find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Neither are our bass.
    ^^ This.... ^^

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not know about a big Bass program that Ky had,but I talked to them about the angler awards program now in place and they told me the reason they downsized it was funding.There are many other states that have a larger angler award program and Ky is lacking in that area.It doesn't take very long to get your catch approved and be able to print out the online certificate witch doesn't really cost the state anything now that the software is in place[and if printed in color is really nice looking and even has a photo of your fish on certificate.But having to wait until the following Feb. until your award pin is mailed out is a little long and I was told it was cheaper to buy the pins in bulk at one time.The cost of the pin probably isn't very much but I know that the postage to mail my 2017 pin to me was $3.50 and I'm sure that it could have been mailed at a much lower cost then that[someone missed the mark on that].One thing I would like to see Ky do is give a special certificate & pin for big fish of the month & year for each species listed in the program. The certificate would not cost them anything if done like the other certificates printing online from the Fish&Game website and you would not be talking about much cost to give a monthly and yearly special pin award for each fish species and maybe do a plaque for big fish of the year.I think it would generate excitement in the program with anglers to fish Ky more.

Post Thanks / Like
    personally i dont need recognition from the state to celebrate or legitimize my catch, having said that i have received kentucky trophy fish certificates in years past and they were much appreciated, but really didnt mean a lot after i looked at it a few thousand times lol. now that is my view regarding "MY" catch, what you do with yours or seek to gain from it is totally your business.
    but i would much rather see any funds used to recognize , celebrate an anglers catch . be used for habitat improvement, enhanced law enforcement and just overall fisheries protections and improvements.
    i will say this though, if you have a topic you would like to discuss with the kdfwr, i urge you to contact them, they are a very "open door" driven organization.
    i know this first hand, they are great to deal with, you may not get the answer your looking for but they will focus on your issue and give you undivided , patient attention...again, your license fees money working FOR YOU
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The other program was stopped because of the mortality of the bass donated and not enough participation. Whats cool about the program in Florida is it lets you see what kind of trophy potential the lakes have. It wouldn't be a huge investment either I'm sure the sponsors (basspro, rapala, enigma rods) help out alot. I don't see any downside to a similar program

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic of the 2017 Ky trophy fish award pin.If anyone has a recent Ky Master Angler award I would like to see a picture of it.I know back in the 1990's they were a very nice wooden plaque not sure what they look like now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 ky fish pin 025.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	16355  
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    The other program was stopped because of the mortality of the bass donated and not enough participation. Whats cool about the program in Florida is it lets you see what kind of trophy potential the lakes have. It wouldn't be a huge investment either I'm sure the sponsors (basspro, rapala, enigma rods) help out alot. I don't see any downside to a similar program
    If I was a biologist, and a trophy bass program had low participation with a high percentage of donated bass dying, that program would be deader than a doornail in about 10 seconds. It would seem to me that program would be doing more harm than good to the trophy bass population.
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post