Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Knot happy with my leader knots!

So, been using the "improved cinch Knot", but have had way to many come undone on me. Not so much as when I had a fish on, but just casting.

So, any suggestions. Am I doing something wrong (always wet the knot before cinching it down). Are there better knots that I should be using?

HELP...HELP..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knot happy with my leader knots!

Whenever I have knot trouble it's usually because my line diameters are too far apart and won't hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless I am doing some serious long lining I just use a Trilene knot, I believe Rapala claims it also. Just a good ole' fashioned Palomar knot but bring the tag end back through the second eye created after you take it through the first. Takes next to know time and you can still do it in the dark if you want to. Also a fan of the turtle knot (or am I thinking of a surgeon's loop, double the line, two loops; I mix these names up, I just tie them anymore anyway) if I want to leave a loop for added action. You sacrifice that little bit of give you might get from the Cinch knot (if I am thinking of the right knot) and it eats up a bit more tippet, especially if you are switching flies often but, you don't have to worry about it coming untied. If you want to stick with the Cinch knot, try some flexament if you have the time to let it set up. Same kind of effect as blue loc-tite over red, won't completely fuse the wraps together like super glue or zap-a-gap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    So, been using the "improved cinch Knot", but have had way to many come undone on me. Not so much as when I had a fish on, but just casting.

So, any suggestions. Am I doing something wrong (always wet the knot before cinching it down). Are there better knots that I should be using?

HELP...HELP..
    Is this your leader knot to your fly line or to your tippet Boone?

I use a nail knot for leader to fly line, and have always used a simple triple surgeons for leader to tippet....don't think I can ever recall that knot breaking on me. Good luck buddy!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the comments. Sorry, I should have specified the knot I am concerned with joins the tippet to the fly. Given that clarification, any additional comments are appreciated. Oh, not sure what is meant by "long lining", but I tend to make long cast and cast mostly streamers, if that matters.

During my quest, I have bookmarked a few web sites on knots. No so sure if they have been helpful or just added to my confusion? Not hard to do...Hee...Hee...

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...matedknots.com

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-ti...p-265833/view/

Post Thanks / Like

I am referring to nymphing with more than 25-30 feet of line out there. At that distance line control becomes more difficult for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Pitzen Knot. It is quick, easy to tie, and stronger than most other knots. I have been using this knot for almost 40 years. I use the Pitzen Knot for 95% of my tippet to fly applications. Google Pitzen Knot and you will find it. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the knot that's supposed to be wet when you draw it tight? I always pull my knot tight with my teeth and get saliva in the knot as I pull it tight. They stay tied.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always used the knot that my grandfather taught me when I was little....not sure if it has a name or not...but you go through the eyelit, make a loop and pinch the loop against the line, you then wrap the tailend around the loop and line six times...then back through the loop at the top and pull.......none of that may have made sense, lol! Hard to explain through typing, but I have never had problems with that knot. Also, I always wet my line and knot prior to cinching...either with saliva or water, because it lubricates and reduces friction which can greatly weaken your knot. Another thing, don't clip your extra line to close to the knot...always leave a little tag end, not much...but just a little...helps.

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I have always used the knot that my grandfather taught me when I was little....not sure if it has a name or not...but you go through the eyelit, make a loop and pinch the loop against the line, you then wrap the tailend around the loop and line six times...then back through the loop at the top and pull.......none of that may have made sense, lol! Hard to explain through typing, but I have never had problems with that knot. Also, I always wet my line and knot prior to cinching...either with saliva or water, because it lubricates and reduces friction which can greatly weaken your knot. Another thing, don't clip your extra line to close to the knot...always leave a little tag end, not much...but just a little...helps.

-Rich
    Rich, that sounds like the Pitzen Knot which Flyguy recommended; http://www.orlandooutfitters.com/knots/knot.asp?id=12

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by FlyLie; 01-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pitzen knot huh.....I finally know what it's called, lol! Thanks!

-Rich