Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Geo is off the LEASH and gets to go fishin

I'm headed to KY and Barkley........Fri , Sat, Sun......

Any decent reports out there. Dave's report looks great. I'm wondering if anyone is having any decent luck on early top water.....

If not, what about night fishin guys......anyone doing any of that.

Last thing.........is it worth putting in below the dams and hybrid fishin. I love taking those, as they are TASTY.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.....At least I get to try out my new side imaging unit .

Later,

Geo
    Likes zx150 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I have been reporting a slow and scattered ledge bite for the past couple of weeks here. We are getting a few fish on early top water back shallow in some of the creeks and bays but it is over for the most part when the sun gets up. I am getting reports of the same just before dark in the evenings. The over whelming majority of reports I am getting is that the night bite is the best bite....it is slow for the most part during the day. I have not had any reports on the bite below the dams.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    Actually I have been reporting a slow and scattered ledge bite for the past couple of weeks here. We are getting a few fish on early top water back shallow in some of the creeks and bays but it is over for the most part when the sun gets up. I am getting reports of the same just before dark in the evenings. The over whelming majority of reports I am getting is that the night bite is the best bite....it is slow for the most part during the day. I have not had any reports on the bite below the dams.
    Thanks man.........I knew this was going to be a struggle trip, but I want to GO.......

I have toys to test out...

Hopefully Eddie and I catch some fish........
    Likes jkelley1487 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was WARNED..........

Man, that was BRUTAL.

We caught a few fish on Saturday, but it was pretty tough. We couldn't hold on ledges on Saturday in my little boat, so we really didn't try that too much.

We could not get on any topwater early or late, on any of the days we fished.

We ended up catching fish on Saturday by flipping extremely shallow docks. Had 4 keepers, and about 15 total for 3 guys. I think we had opportunities on other fish, and i believe I broke off a REALLY good one on a decent isolated tree.

It was TOUGH fishing........

But you know what......It's still better than working. .
    Likes SLP, kentuckykingfisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Man, that was BRUTAL.

We caught a few fish on Saturday, but it was pretty tough. We couldn't hold on ledges on Saturday in my little boat, so we really didn't try that too much.

We could not get on any topwater early or late, on any of the days we fished.

We ended up catching fish on Saturday by flipping extremely shallow docks. Had 4 keepers, and about 15 total for 3 guys. I think we had opportunities on other fish, and i believe I broke off a REALLY good one on a decent isolated tree.

It was TOUGH fishing........

But you know what......It's still better than working. .
    Hey Geo I just sent you a PM but realize now I was a day late for you. Sorry bud.

Post Thanks / Like

know the feeling

I have also ha brutal days, but mine were a picnic compared to a lot of folks. I worked 3 weekends a month, so I had the week days, and at least the traffic wasn't that bad. BUT then retirement came along, and NO week end battles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got back from about two weeks at Barkley and it was rough going for me as well. My back was giving me a lot of trouble so between that, the heat, and going places with the wife and children I didn't really fish all that much, but the times I did were pretty brutal. Most fun I had fishing was floating worms under a bobber off the dock with my kids. There is still something about watching a bobber get pulled under that will never get old with me no matter what age, and I'll take fun times with my family over most other things anyway so it was a great vacation regardless of the fishing.

I'm hoping to get over there again later in August and do some more serious fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky

Living in northern In, and not really devoted to one specific type of fish, I had many options for good fishing.I always bought licenses for In, Il, and michigan. In 100 miles of my house I had more places to fish than some folks could imagine.Being very close to lake michigan depending on the wind conditions there was always good fishing. Trout and salmon, LMB lakes yellow perch either off shore or in the boat.Several smaller lakes that had muskys, SMB Since I didn't mind using live bait many options were open. then when we moved to KY it ws dale and cumberland both less than 15 miles away, and the cumberland river.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Living in northern In, and not really devoted to one specific type of fish, I had many options for good fishing.I always bought licenses for In, Il, and michigan. In 100 miles of my house I had more places to fish than some folks could imagine.Being very close to lake michigan depending on the wind conditions there was always good fishing. Trout and salmon, LMB lakes yellow perch either off shore or in the boat.Several smaller lakes that had muskys, SMB Since I didn't mind using live bait many options were open. then when we moved to KY it ws dale and cumberland both less than 15 miles away, and the cumberland river.
    I imagine the fishing was pretty good for you......that 100 mile radius probably did cover some seriously hot areas, and have you a gigantic number of options.

Smallies, Largemouth, Walleye, Perch, Pike, Salmon, Trout...

How many others Kygorski?

I bet that was a blast......

Post Thanks / Like

depending on the season

When I had a car top boat I could put in to a shallow weedy section of the lake, the perfect early season spot, the water warm up quick, and the LMB were active, used sluggos and spooks, and always had action, AND there was no easy boat launches, so I had that spot all to my self. By may the weeds were so thick it wasn't fishable. Since the outfit I worked for had a warm water discharge into lake michigan, I'd just walk out the back gate, and catch cohos and trout till my arms got tired. With the bigger boat it was trolling for salmon.Later yellow perch and SMB. 8 natural lakes near by, and a great river in western mich. for anything you wanted, I mostly had three boats, nothing fancy, but suited for a particular trip.

Post Thanks / Like

multi specie fishing

Another think abut not being tied down to only LMB, was I loved to get out during late spring and use my fly rod on blue gills.This was mostly possible on the smaller lakes, because it was hard for the bass boats to get into some of the places, so no wakes! I almost got pitched out of my boat on dale fly fishing.the cumberland river has some fantastic fly fishing, my brown or olive colored wooly buggers let me have some great times. I planned my trips for a certain fish, on green river lake I only fished musky, so I never had a hit a few times, but when you get one the effort was worth it. Up north the musky fishing was different. I liked northern pike ' didn't care to eat them because of the trouble cleaning them. Someone once said the days spent fishing didn't count against your life, I'm 81, won't make 82 but it was a blast.