Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about getting a bass boat

Looking at the possibility of buying a boat for fishing/recreation. Went out on my buddies Nitro and enjoyed it. The thing is I don’t even know where to start. A couple of things I do know
    - It doesn’t need to be big. Ability to fish with 2 people, recreational float with 4
    - It doesn’t need to be new or the best, it needs to be functional and reliable
    - It needs to be easily repairable and parts need to be readily available
    - It needs to come with a trailer
    - Ideally it would be $5k or less.
    - Aluminum vs fiberglass?
    - Good used older brands?

Another thing to consider is storage. Ideally I would keep it near a lake so I do not need to haul it back and forth all the time. Are there locations like this by the lakes in central KY? What is the average cost? I have no issue with dry storage and hooking up the truck to pull it into the lake.

What about storage locations in Lexington for the winter. Is that a viable option? I can store it in my garage, but if it’s cheap enough I’d rather use that space to park my car.

Figured I would start here since you guys know the local market best.
    Last edited by robertdilbert; 09-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had both fiberglass and aluminum. I will never buy another fiberglass boat. To me, they are heavy, and I can't fish them safely in questionable waters (like fluctuating rivers with rock bottoms) with any confidence.

We bought a 17ft 1993 Lowe all aluminum boat several years back for $4000. 50hp Johnson motor, trailer, two depth finders, two livewells, trolling motor, and an all aluminum deck. I still fish out of this boat to this day. I love it.

The ONLY downside, in my perspective, is when the water gets choppy, due to pleasure-boaters, it makes it difficult to keep up speed when moving, because it is a little rough through big waves, where as my fiberglass boat I had was not. I stress that, to me, that is my ONLY complaint. I suspect the smaller size of my boat has a lot to do with it not cutting through big waves very well.

I can tell you my aluminum boat is light, and I pull it with my V-6 4runner all over the state with no problems.

I've fished the big waters of KY and Barkley lakes, several trips down the fluctuating water of the Cumberland river for trout, the big mud banks of the Ohio, and everywhere in between. It has just been a great boat.

It's just my opinion, but an aluminum boat is optimal for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a video of a trout trip I took on the Cumberland river that shows the boat I fish out of pretty well:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    I've had both fiberglass and aluminum. I will never buy another fiberglass boat. To me, they are heavy, and I can't fish them safely in questionable waters (like fluctuating rivers with rock bottoms) with any confidence.

We bought a 17ft 1993 Lowe all aluminum boat several years back for $4000. 50hp Johnson motor, trailer, two depth finders, two livewells, trolling motor, and an all aluminum deck. I still fish out of this boat to this day. I love it.

The ONLY downside, in my perspective, is when the water gets choppy, due to pleasure-boaters, it makes it difficult to keep up speed when moving, because it is a little rough through big waves, where as my fiberglass boat I had was not. I stress that, to me, that is my ONLY complaint. I suspect the smaller size of my boat has a lot to do with it not cutting through big waves very well.

I can tell you my aluminum boat is light, and I pull it with my V-6 4runner all over the state with no problems.

I've fished the big waters of KY and Barkley lakes, several trips down the fluctuating water of the Cumberland river for trout, the big mud banks of the Ohio, and everywhere in between. It has just been a great boat.

It's just my opinion, but an aluminum boat is optimal for me.
    thanks for the info and video. I feel the same way about the aluminum vs fiberglass. Where did you buy your boat, craigslist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    thanks for the info and video. I feel the same way about the aluminum vs fiberglass. Where did you buy your boat, craigslist?

Dad and I bought it at an estate auction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 17 foot 1990 Tracker Deep V with a Johnson 90hp. I have 1 livewell and 2 Humminbirds Helix. I have had this boat a long time. I love it! The only issue is that sometimes it can be a sailboat because of the high sides but that’s usually when it’s pretty breezy. It cuts thru the water and waves ok. I have electric trim and that really helps with that. When I wanted to take the grandkids out and tube, I’d remove all fishing gear and had plenty of room for a couple adults and several kids. I occasionally take it on the river, Elkhorn creek or lakes with my wife for a leisurely cruise. I’ve seen comparable boats that are newer and in decent shape from around $4,000 to $6,000. As with any boat, in my opinion, keep it in your garage, storage but keep it out of the weather. I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2000 bass tracker pro 185 with a 60 hp 65 lbs thrust TM and Lowrance hdx 7 for sale. $4000 obo. If you are interested in it Pm. I can send you pics and tell you about it. I've had it for 5 yrs and some change. Me personally I like aluminum except in the wind. I am a wide shouldered guy and I turn it into a sail boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    I have a 2000 bass tracker pro 185 with a 60 hp 65 lbs thrust TM and Lowrance hdx 7 for sale. $4000 obo. If you are interested in it Pm. I can send you pics and tell you about it. I've had it for 5 yrs and some change. Me personally I like aluminum except in the wind. I am a wide shouldered guy and I turn it into a sail boat.
    thanks for the offer but I wont be looking to buy anything until I do some more research

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the exact year and model Bass Tracker that fire fighter offered with the exception of a bigger motor and different electronics. It is the best all around fishing boat I have ever owned and I have owned probably 6-7 over the years. It has a great floor plan, is plenty big for 3 people, and is light to pull. Fiberglass boats can be very heavy and I was always real nervous about fishing in tight or shallow spots in fear of damaging my finish. The only negative thing about the Tracker is it is difficult to fish in high wind. It just gets blown around too easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    Looking at the possibility of buying a boat for fishing/recreation. Went out on my buddies Nitro and enjoyed it. The thing is I don’t even know where to start. A couple of things I do know
    - It doesn’t need to be big. Ability to fish with 2 people, recreational float with 4
    - It doesn’t need to be new or the best, it needs to be functional and reliable
    - It needs to be easily repairable and parts need to be readily available
    - It needs to come with a trailer
    - Ideally it would be $5k or less.
    - Aluminum vs fiberglass?
    - Good used older brands?

Another thing to consider is storage. Ideally I would keep it near a lake so I do not need to haul it back and forth all the time. Are there locations like this by the lakes in central KY? What is the average cost? I have no issue with dry storage and hooking up the truck to pull it into the lake.

What about storage locations in Lexington for the winter. Is that a viable option? I can store it in my garage, but if it’s cheap enough I’d rather use that space to park my car.

Figured I would start here since you guys know the local market best.
    Don,t do it young Skywalker as this leads down the path to the dark side!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    I joking say boat is not a word it is an acronym...Break. OUT. Another. Thousand = boat...In reality there is a lot of truth in the that statement but I also tell people it's a large hole that I enjoy throwing $ into. Once you get the fever there is nothing that can break it. Enjoy your new ride whatever it may be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Or so the wife says when I roll out of bed at three in the mourning to go to the lake or hook up the boat when it's 10 degrees out side because it make it above freezing today. I agree R 19 there a whole lot worse things to throw money at. I have been fishing for over 50 years and dread the day I can know longer go.
    Likes kstonich liked this post