Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrex motor

Post Thanks / Like

Ultrex motor

Hey, has anyone spent the jack on an Ultrex motor.............anyone with a aluminum boat.

I'm seriously thinking about it. I've heard good things about the product, and one of my biggest problems is holding on a spot and focusing on fishing versus trolling......

What do you guys think and what about guys that have it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try going to bass boat central and surf around their website. Lots of info on this motor. I think there are a lot of factors to consider starting with your style of fishing and the water depth. Good luck on your decision!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash5150 View Post
    You might try going to bass boat central and surf around their website. Lots of info on this motor. I think there are a lot of factors to consider starting with your style of fishing and the water depth. Good luck on your decision!
    I'm using that site.....but I'd also like to have those insights here, as this is generally my "home" fishing site. .

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a ulterra on an aluminum boat. I've had it for a few months but haven't got to play much with it yet. It does a good job at holding the bow on a spot of course the back will get wind blown. I would think the ultrex would hold a spot just as well. The auto stow and deploy is awesome on the ulterra. If you have a specific question ask away and I will try and answer it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killing time View Post
    I got a ulterra on an aluminum boat. I've had it for a few months but haven't got to play much with it yet. It does a good job at holding the bow on a spot of course the back will get wind blown. I would think the ultrex would hold a spot just as well. The auto stow and deploy is awesome on the ulterra. If you have a specific question ask away and I will try and answer it.
    I think the auto stow is the only difference betweeen the two. While I LOVE that , I'm really hard on equipment, and will probablly stay with the Ultrex just for fewer moving parts.

Thanks for the update. I'm a little concerned about the back end whipping around.

Again, THANKS.........

Geo.

Post Thanks / Like

TIN boat motors

I put an 105lb 36 volt XI5 motor guide on my Lund and it was the best thing I have ever done. The remote steering anchor lock course memory and replay has changed how I am able to fish. If you fish by yourself like me most of the time you will love having one. Minnkota has the same features they are well worth the money.
    Check out http://bbgmarine.com/. Best prices around and great customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo you may want to rethink your selection I had a trolling motor that I could stow and deploy from my driver seat they discontinued it because some one got there finger cut off it was just an electric motor that deployed or stowed the motor had a switch at the motor and one at the driver seat I loved this thing think how many times you bend over to put motor in or out of the water then when you are tired you forget and leave the motor down get ready to go and you have to get up and go lift the motor. also it was sweet you pull up on your spot shut off engine hit the deploy button walk up motor is in water ready to go you can turn boat if you are coming in a little hot pick up rod and your ready to go. I would love to get the ulterra but my concern is I had an early model trolling motor that would self deploy and stow was electric steer but the steering was jerky and I did not like it only used it a couple of trips. I need you to get one and let me know how you like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadrunner the power steering on the ultra is silky smooth so is the motor guide xi5 my buddy has 1 of those. The motor guide is more quite while turning and it has a wireless footcontrol. The reason I went ulterra is I launch a lot by myself usually tie rope from boat to the back of the truck. This Jan on a ramp in the middle no were the rope broke needless to say it ain't any fun watching your boat float away now if this ever happens just deploy motor and bring it back with the remote.
    Likes GeoFisher, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Geo I would think if you use the anchor lock with the nose in the wind the back shouldn't wind blow to much.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    one more reason I want anchor lock is I am going down a bank I need new trailer, break off or want to change baits it is a pain knowing by the time you get what you need and get back on the troller you have blown down the bank I have been known to not switch baits because you are going to go through all this.

hit spot lock and walk back change baits etc. then go back and continue down the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killing time View Post
    Roadrunner the power steering on the ultra is silky smooth so is the motor guide xi5 my buddy has 1 of those. The motor guide is more quite while turning and it has a wireless footcontrol. The reason I went ulterra is I launch a lot by myself usually tie rope from boat to the back of the truck. This Jan on a ramp in the middle no were the rope broke needless to say it ain't any fun watching your boat float away now if this ever happens just deploy motor and bring it back with the remote.
    is the ulterra smooth steering?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the ulterra is just as smooth as a cable drive. It's a little slower on reaction time because a motor is doing the turning versus a cable. The spot lock is awesome for changing baits taking fish off and so on. One other good thing is you can give your partner the remote if he is in the back of the boat and he can control the motor while you are busy. It has a lot of nice features but unfortunately they come at a price. Take away the auto stow and deploy and the motor guide xi5 with pin point GPS is a super nice motor it's silky smooth and several $ cheaper.