Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin - Fish attractor waypoints

At the link below the the Arm Corps of Engineers has a downloadable GPS waypoint file for the fish attractors that are put on Nolin lake. I can not get this file to work. I have tried conversion software to get it in the format I need, but the file is then blank. Has anyone been able to get this to work?

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/nrl/

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nolin - Fish attractor waypoints

I went to the site, but didn't find the link for the GPS waypoints...Where is the link at on the Nolin Web site?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    I went to the site, but didn't find the link for the GPS waypoints...Where is the link at on the Nolin Web site?
    Sorry, I thought that would take you directly to the correct page but it just takes you to the home page.

You have to click on recreation and then on fishing. The downloadable file is then at the bottom of that page.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to save the file in about 3 to 4 different file formats, but can't get it to open in the right format. I've tried using .wpt, .rar. works and a couple others to do it...So if someone finds the correct format let me know as well....Thanks

Barry Guest

I'll guess and say you need some type of GPS mapping software like Lowrance mapcreate. WPT = waypoint, if I have time I'll try it this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased and received the Map Create version 7 by Lowrance, but don't know yet how to move files into the disk or MMC card to use in my GPS unit. All new to me and trying to learn each day. The new Map Create version 7 is a really nice CD and loaded with info. But so far I'm having to load all GPS wpt's on the Maps, along with Fish Attractors, brush Piles and other points of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased and received the Map Create version 7 by Lowrance, but don't know yet how to move files into the disk or MMC card to use in my GPS unit. All new to me and trying to learn each day. The new Map Create version 7 is a really nice CD and loaded with info. But so far I'm having to load all GPS wpt's on the Maps, along with Fish Attractors, brush Piles and other points of interest.

From what I have read the .wpt file format is not compatable with Lowrance, at least not the Ifinder H20 that I have. That is why I was trying to convert it. I have downloaded programs called GPS utility & GPSbabel, both are shareware and appear to be working correctly. They recognize the .wpt file and say they convert successfully, but then the file has no waypoints in it.

I was also considering buying the Map Create software but have not. I also found a free program called easyGPS. All I have to do is load the waypoints that I have saved on my Ifinder to the SD card. Then take the card out of the Ifinder and put it in my computers card reader. I can then manage & file the waypoints by lake, add other waypoints, and store them on my PC. When I am going to a particular lake all I have to do is load that file onto the SD card and put it in my Ifinder. The easyGPS dosen't have fancy maps, but helps me organize and store basic info. Let me know how you like the Map Create software!

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have gotten one Lake map done, with all Fish attractors put on it and Bruch piles and anything else of importance. Saved the file and have it saved on my SD card. But when I go to bring it up on my GPS unit, It desn't show the Icons I put on the map. Any suggestions, it's a Lowrance 5200c GPS unit. Other than this little mishap, I really like the ease of putting info on the map and storing it on my SD card's. I bought the whole outfit, Reader, SD card, and the Map Create CD for $ 108.94...Could have gotten it for a little over 75.00, but paid an additional $ 39.00, or was it $ 29.00 for the SD card Reader....Didn't know it but my PC downstairs has a SD card Reader on the front of the PC case.....

Post Thanks / Like

So far I have gotten one Lake map done, with all Fish attractors put on it and Bruch piles and anything else of importance. Saved the file and have it saved on my SD card. But when I go to bring it up on my GPS unit, It desn't show the Icons I put on the map. Any suggestions, it's a Lowrance 5200c GPS unit. Other than this little mishap, I really like the ease of putting info on the map and storing it on my SD card's. I bought the whole outfit, Reader, SD card, and the Map Create CD for $ 108.94...Could have gotten it for a little over 75.00, but paid an additional $ 39.00, or was it $ 29.00 for the SD card Reader....Didn't know it but my PC downstairs has a SD card Reader on the front of the PC case.....
    Well, I fished Nolin Saturday after the rain and for several hours Sunday. I probably got in about 8 hours fishing total. Saturday was great, on my second cast I had a small bass on a blue & silver Rattle Trap. I ended up catching several small bass with that lure and had a nice white bass hooked but it got off when it jumped. I also crappie fished with minnows and caught several about 6ft deep by the stick ups. Saturday afternoon I hooked into a 4lb catfish and had a ball fighting him on my crappie rig. On Saturday I caught; bass, bluegill, catfish, & crappie.

Sunday was not as much fun. I fished the same spots but did not catch a fish all day.

I did get to save a couple spots on my GPS. Has anyone else had any luck with the Nolin fish attractor waypoints on the Army Corps site?