Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

walleye fishery on the rise in Kentucky?

As my name suggests I am crazy for walleye. Looking for like minded loonies to share info with. I have fished green river lake, Carr creek, brookville lake, all quite a bit but with marginal success. The walleye fishery is poised to explode, and I wanna be @ ground zero when it does!

Latest trip to green, went way up butler creek, thanks to high water. Found fish stacked up in a ten foot hole, but couldn't get em to eat. Water was 55 degrees, so the fish we found were probably confused, and not eating, maybe early spawners. Retreated downstream and located a few feeding fish, but short strikes cost us a couple real nice ones. Will use stingers next time!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: walleye fishery on the rise in Kentucky?

Try Cumberland. I have been there in the summer and fishing at night under a full moon. They were slashing baitfish like crazy by the bluff walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walleyemaniac View Post
    as my name suggests i am crazy for walleye. Looking for like minded loonies to share info with. I have fished green river lake, carr creek, brookville lake, all quite a bit but with marginal success. The walleye fishery is poised to explode, and i wanna be @ ground zero when it does!

Latest trip to green, went way up butler creek, thanks to high water. Found fish stacked up in a ten foot hole, but couldn't get em to eat. Water was 55 degrees, so the fish we found were probably confused, and not eating, maybe early spawners. Retreated downstream and located a few feeding fish, but short strikes cost us a couple real nice ones. Will use stingers next time!
    i am new to ky fishing. I'm also a huge walleye/sauger fan and often fish the ohio river but havent been out yet this year. I hear alot about the dams at cumberland and laural lakes. I'm waiting to hear something from the ohio river. With all of the rain i wouldt be surprised if the spawn ran later this year, or in unusual ares of the river. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge fan of walleye fishing as well as I grew up fishing for them almost constantly along the Missouri River in South Dakota, but since moving down here I have had marginal luck. Hoping that this year changes that as I'm hoping to get out a little more often. The walleye certainly have much different habits down here than what they do up north, but I'm trying to learn some of the keys for down here. I'll be sure to keep in touch with any trips to the lake and any success that I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow is the place to get the monster EYES......

Post Thanks / Like

Could or would "The Man" recommend any paticular methods, lures, or type of area to entice these Monster Eyes to bite a hook? Thanks for any information.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could help out guys, Im just going off pics that I see. Most of the big ones I see comes from the one and only FishFinderGeneral. But I would say in the spring time just like Nolin and Green River Lakes we need to try the headwaters!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We muskie fished Butler this past weekend and I didnt even think about walleye. I fish Nolin for walleye with some success but Im just getting ready to tackle Green. Ive heard Green is an underutilized walleye fishery. On Nolin, depending on the time of year you can troll and jig for walleye. I prefer jigging under a light at night up the river through the summer. What works for Green in the summer??

Quote Originally Posted by walleyemaniac View Post
    As my name suggests I am crazy for walleye. Looking for like minded loonies to share info with. I have fished green river lake, Carr creek, brookville lake, all quite a bit but with marginal success. The walleye fishery is poised to explode, and I wanna be @ ground zero when it does!

Post Thanks / Like

Carter1 thats the third time in two weeks Ive heard of fishing for walleye on Cumberland on a full moon and walleye will be tearing up "alwives" near the surface. Ive heard rocky points but you mention rock walls? What part of the lake do you fish???

Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    Try Cumberland. I have been there in the summer and fishing at night under a full moon. They were slashing baitfish like crazy by the bluff walls.

Post Thanks / Like

That bite is a timing thing. Alewives start their spawn from mid-April thru mid-June. Bite "can" be anywhere from Fishing Creek to the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeFaive View Post
    I am a huge fan of walleye fishing as well as I grew up fishing for them almost constantly along the Missouri River in South Dakota, but since moving down here I have had marginal luck. Hoping that this year changes that as I'm hoping to get out a little more often. The walleye certainly have much different habits down here than what they do up north, but I'm trying to learn some of the keys for down here. I'll be sure to keep in touch with any trips to the lake and any success that I have.
    I've been to kapuskasing, Ontario two times. Ate fresh walleye three meals a day for five days. What I know about walleye in KY is that I have tons to learn. By the numbers though, I would guess anybody's best chance at getting on consistent schools would happen at Carr creek lake near Hazard. Or if you don't mind Hoosiers in speed boats, Brookville should be fantastic. You are right about the different habits though, people here seem to catch walleye when they're bass fishing. I want to get into em where I can jig for them. We missed two nice ones on green river lake on rock wall that reminded me of type of walls we fished in Canada, so maybe now if we can just hit the schools right, we can get more than two bites in two hours! Those fish ain't easy to get a hook in until you get the feel!!! The "took"!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Laurel Lake is one of the best walleye fisheries in the state. There are tons of them and some real monsters there. I think there is a new world record in there and also in Cumberland. If you are looking for good numbers with good size, try putting in at Noe's Dock and going towards the head waters of the Cumderland River when the walleyes spawn. If you go that route be very careful, lots of big rocks, can be very dangerous.