Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Very scary info for Green River Lake

The Corps cleans out the splash box right below the dam ever so often...I was talking to one of the people who were cleaning it out and they said there was one single Asian Carp in there....Lets hope those things dont make their way into the lake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very scary info for Green River Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    The Corps cleans out the splash box right below the dam ever so often...I was talking to one of the people who were cleaning it out and they said there was one single Asian Carp in there....Lets hope those things dont make their way into the lake
    My Grandfather worked for the Corps for years...was based at Green, but worked Barren, Rough, and others too. They find all kinds of cool stuff in the splash box. He told me about having to go up in the tube quite a ways to work on stuff when the gates were closed, and being in the bottom of the observation tower too....always loved his stories.

Let's hope the Asian Carp they found was a lone ranger...that's scary.

Post Thanks / Like

apparently ,they already have....

Post Thanks / Like

with all the major flooding we had this spring and the gates being wide open I'm sure they have creep in some of the lakes.. Shew man copuld you imagine the devestation they would cause and short of a time it would take to do it not to mention the local economy income loss as well as the lake itself. Might as well drain it and let it dry up and start over..

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Very scary indeed

If they are in the tail race of green....scary. Some folks net shad below the dam at Green and take them to other bodies of water like Dale and Cumberland and the Cumberland River.

Check out this Bill Dance video regarding the issue of people netting shad in one body and transferring to another. He says and shows that small Asian Carp (Silver Carp) are very hard to distinguish from Gizzard Shad...so it would be easy for someone to actually put the Carp in a lake where there were none before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMtISRbvGg

That's how the Alewives got into some of our lakes. That changed some things for sure but provide a different set of forage. Asian Carp would really change things and have totally devastated some oxbow lakes along the Mississippi.

I have been concerned with people netting Gizzard Shad in the Ohio River where there are Silver Carp and using them in other lakes and unwittingly stocking those lakes with Asian Carp. Never thought of the tail races of lakes as being a potential source for the accidental stocking of Asian Carp.

What to do about this?

I guess there is an upside to every thing (a stretch). They are actually finding ways to use the fish and I have been reading they are pretty good to eat. There a move to feed the hungry with them. Need to get Mikey to try one (remember the commercial). They say the only thing lacking is a large scale way to collect the things. I just don't see myself as an Asian Carp hunter as of just yet.

The commercial fisherman in the video below from Illinois (Dewey Lake) says, "We either fish for Bigheads (Asian Carp) or nothin"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJDVg...eature=related

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/showth...ght=asian+carp

Post Thanks / Like

She told me this one was small and looked identical to a shad....If they hadn't been paying close attention they never woulda noticed it...Said they had to call a biologist to determine exactly what it was....I'm just hoping the stinkin thing came up river to get in there as opposed to coming out of the lake into there

Post Thanks / Like

She told me this one was small and looked identical to a shad....If they hadn't been paying close attention they never woulda noticed it...Said they had to call a biologist to determine exactly what it was....I'm just hoping the stinkin thing came up river to get in there as opposed to coming out of the lake into there
    Well if they had to call a biologist to identify the fish I guess that means Ky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife knows about the potential problem of transporting Asian Carp to our lakes. I hope they give this some serious thought. If you know somebody at the Dept. you may want to mention this to them.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who has never livd on or near the great lakes,it's scary what an accidental introduction of a foriegn species can do. First it was the sea lamprey, came through the st Lawrence sea way. At one time there was fear that the narive lake trout was extinct,to some degree that was true. Next came the alewive.Imagine 90% of the great lakes were alewives. When they had their summer die off, the beaches were full of dead fish, the smell carried inland for miles. It wasn't worth fishing in lake michigan.Wont go into the salmon thing,but it was the best fishing in north america for a time. Next zebra mussels, you'd need to see it to believe it. Nature seemed to solve part of that problem, like the the boom of fresh water drum, then the Gobi, and finally the white perch. Commercial fishing for "big heads" could work, but here is the catch, you'd need government help in marketing them on a large scale.We seem hung up on "bail outs",but there are times when they work to our benefit.Any one who likes small mouth fishing needs to go to Erie or St Clair, you'd see what "uncle sugar" can do when the money is spent right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Well if they had to call a biologist to identify the fish I guess that means Ky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife knows about the potential problem of transporting Asian Carp to our lakes. I hope they give this some serious thought. If you know somebody at the Dept. you may want to mention this to them.

They wound up killing it and later regretted it....They knew they should have kept it to show people what these look like....No doubt that everyone is aware of the dangers that come with these fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    .Any one who likes small mouth fishing needs to go to Erie or St Clair, you'd see what "uncle sugar" can do when the money is spent right.
    I think you hit the NAIL on the head here.

I've never been against spending money........I just want it spent like it was MY MONEY and not THEIR MONEY..

Be wise about the projects, and don't waste it........If we need a new bridge, build it, but don't put 2 billion of extras into the process.......if we need to paint a bridge then paint it, but don't put 100 million of extras into the process.....

If we need a new highway, then BUILD IT..........All the money spent on the Western KY Parkway last year and the year previous was WELL WORTH IT........a good use of the stimulas. That stretch of road was very, very bad.

I think I personally get caught up on the money issues because I don't trust anyone in government to be a good steward with regards to my money.

Finally, I think we should throw whatever money is necessary at this asian carp issue. It is a HUGE issue, and if it devastates smaller local bodies of water, it will have a severe impact on their economies.

I read somewhere that Fishing generates more money than any other recreational sport around.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

If the goverment gets involved how much are the tags going to cost and daily limit going to be ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Before I retired, knew I was going to relocate somewhere.My first choice was the UP of michigan. After about a year of trying to buy the ideal property, gave up on it, sure 4 months of snow had a little to do with it. Next choice was Ottawa Il, at that time the illinois river was coming into some great fishing, but couldn't afford the place. Settled on Ky,because the salmon fishing was entering into a decline.The causes were over harvesting of the alewives, and diseases in several of the hatcherys.They solved the problem. But the boom in the sport fishing made up for any money spent. More big water boats were sold in the upper midwest than anywhere in the country. Charter fishing was booming in almost all the ports on the great lakes, millions in revenue was returned.The illinois river today is a threat to fishermen because of the big head carp, and the walleye and sauger fishing was ruined, also the white bass were almost all gone. These bigheads are edible and are eaten all over asia, so what happens? We import shrimp, cat fish, and tilapea, from asia, why???
    How about tariffs, that stop us from exporting, but allow those same coutrys to flood our markets. Wheres the level playing field?Its NOT big government its dumb government, and it didn't just start 4 yrs ago!